The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
tylermckee

1987 big block

Alright, its not exactly a pickup, but its a 1987 fleetwood bounder, 34' motorhome. Chassis is a p30 chevy with a 454 big block. Engine runs and idles ok, but once you get moving it has no power, it will hardly move along, and after a few minutes it will just start to stumble and die. I'm assuming it has something to do with the rats nest of vacuum lines and emissions garbage sitting ontop of the motor. therer is no emissions testing here of any sorts, so if i was just to remove everything i dont need and plug everything off i should be alright? i need vacuum for my tans, heater controls, and vacuum advance, correct? what am i forgetting? Also can anyone point me where to find a good shop manual for a p30 chassis, ive looked around some but havent found much.
tylermckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
grinch4om
dang its hot

Re: 1987 big block

dude, does it have a catalitic converter? If so it's failed. If not, check your fuel delivery system. Get a gauge on it and drive it. does pressure drop off or get erratic when this happens? those vacuum hoses most likly are not the cause.
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
tylermckee

Re: 1987 big block

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinch4om View Post
dude, does it have a catalitic converter? If so it's failed. If not, check your fuel delivery system. Get a gauge on it and drive it. does pressure drop off or get erratic when this happens? those vacuum hoses most likly are not the cause.
well, either way, they are all old and cracking, and need to be replaced or removed, because if they arent a problem now they will be shortly.

I have new fuel lines, and new fuel pump at the engine. This also has an electric pump mounted by the tank to help carry the fuel threw the 30 feet of fuel lines. All fuel filters are new, and i checked that the electric pump is working fine. I still need to rebuild/clean the carb, new plugs and wires, and make sure my timing is set properly. What should my timing and advance be set at with this engine?
tylermckee is offline   Reply With Quote