The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #26
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

Re: timing Q...

the pipes on my truck are 2.25 OD measurement, those models are 2.5 (as are all non-sensor collectors i saw from hooker). They'd leak no matter how you look at it.
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #27
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

You just want to make this harder than what it really is, don't you? So if you use the Summit catalog's part number (HOK-11030HKR ) which is a 3" collector and a 2.125, which will let it slide inside your 2.25 exhaust pipes. Do you think that would work for you, so you could weld them up solid.

OR

You could purchase the 2.5" pipe adapters and slide them over your exhaust pipes and weld them on. Hopefully you weren't planning on mounting them with muffler clamps, welding works better and lasts longer in this case.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:13 AM   #28
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Are you trying to get more mileage out of it with the exhaust? You can also get a ball and flange setup for the connection if you don't want it to leak. Without having to fully weld the connection and still have it removable. You might have to get a reducer pipe the same size ball and flange connection.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #29
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilBowTie View Post
Are you trying to get more mileage out of it with the exhaust?
Actually, any method short of removing all body panels and installing 2" DOM tubing or swapping drivetrain. As soon as we get out of this cold spell, i'm wiring the choke wide open. Granted I drive a brick with smaller bricks attached to each side, surely there's something left somewhere.
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:39 AM   #30
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

That doesn't seem like it would help much to wire the choke open. It will also make it more difficult to warm up and need to be tended to until it is.

What kind of mileage are you getting now? I'm sure its not that great but not many 454 are. The short run of 90's SS trucks with the 454's with tbi are only rated at 10 city and 11 highway. Depends on how bad it is to make it better. The engine compression test seems fine and now the timing seems to be back in order. With the tune up and new parts I don't really see what's in need of repair. Carb could probably use good overhaul with new throttle shaft bushings. Other than that I cant think of much. Yeah there is little to be desired for wind resistance on the trucks. I think the one other part is the weight and energy to get these up and moving.

My truck on the other hand gets about 9-10 mpg and has nowhere near the towing capability of your truck. I have to use high octane whenever I fill up 92 or higher. Switching to a small car with a 4 cylinder and getting 23 mpg or better most the time. Makes a big difference on the gas bill and everything works. Don't have to keep fixing this and that.