The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2007, 01:35 AM   #1
MARTINSR

Dropped front axle?

I know this has probably been beat to death but after doing a quick search I just couldn't come up with what I wanted.

I have this truck that I plan on making a sixies style rod/custom. It is chopped and sectioned and I am going to run a 250 inch six with a five speed with an 8" rear. I have a Camaro clipped frame but plan on changing that. I have another frame coming and planned on running a Mustang II. But the more I think about it, I am leaning towards a dropped axle. This one at Speedway looks interesting...http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/5842...C-PickUps.html

That along with some mono leafs and disc brakes. I really don't like the rack and pinion and want it to be more traditional. I mean, I drive a car with a r&p and IRS (IFS for that matter) I don't need that same thing for my cruiser.

What axles are you guys running?

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"

Last edited by MARTINSR; 01-12-2007 at 01:36 AM.
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
8ball

Re: Dropped front axle?

Hi Brian,
I ran a 4 inch dropped axle in my 48 3100 for a couple of years. I'm currently converting over to a mustang II. The dropped axle worked fine for around town cruising but I plan on going to an air ride in the future and the Mustang II application works well with that setup. I had the stock axle dropped for "about" $275 if I remember correctly. The gentleman who runs www.roadsters.com performed the service for me. I have no major complaints with the dropped axle setup other than it does require modification of the steering arms and the tierod. The drop in the axle places the steering arms higher and creates a misalignment of the draglink and interferes with the tierod and leafsprings. My solution was to simply heat and bend the stock steering arms down. The other consideration is the profile of your tires and the amount of overall drop. I found the 4 inch drop to be a little too low for tires I was running and I think 3 inches would probably be more reasonable.

Hope that helps....
-Rich

PS - here is a pic of my truck with the dropped axle in place

Last edited by 8ball; 01-12-2007 at 10:06 AM.
8ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
nogaroa4

8Ball, With the Mustang II suspension will you be able to get around that low, That is the stance I'm looking for, and are you going with an aftermarket Mustang Suspension or an original,
nogaroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
8ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaroa4 View Post
8Ball, With the Mustang II suspension will you be able to get around that low, That is the stance I'm looking for, and are you going with an aftermarket Mustang Suspension or an original,

The truck should sit about the same with the Mustang II as it sat with the dropped axle. I drove the truck around town at that height for a few years. I have a Heidts front end with dropped spindles sitting in the garage waiting for install. I'll post some pics when I dive into it.

Last edited by 8ball; 01-12-2007 at 06:26 PM.
8ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
mylow53

heres a picture of a new mustang 2 / airbags droped as low as possible (drop spindels). i've never driven with the new suspension. but anything is better than the solid axel i had. it took strength to do a parking lot u turn!
GT
Attached Images

Last edited by mylow53; 01-12-2007 at 06:48 PM.
mylow53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
MARTINSR

Yeah, I am torn as to what to run. I know I don't want the Camaro clipped frame I have now. I just want something cleaner. I figure, the Ibeam is not the best handling, but do I need something to handle like the SHO I drive everyday? I mean, if I was building a T bucket, it wouldn't handle very well. But I don't plan on driving this truck much more than I would that T bucket. I am looking to put together a hot rod kinda like it was when I was in high school. But with the stuff I can afford now.

I have planned on the MII, I still may, but I am looking at the Axle too.

Brian

Old 01-13-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

Brian, do you plan on using power brakes and like? Right now am planning out my frame, should I use the MII, S10 frame or dropped axle. From just adding the prices up to do a dropped axle with all the added goodies it was the same price range as the MII swap.
Right now am torn between the MII and S10. Not sure which MII to run, Ive heard they wont handle that Buick 455 I plan on installing. The S10 looks easy at first til you start and figure all the crap you dont think about.

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
SURFER1316

The S10 is supposedly one of the easiest to do, there's several writeups online, and a HUGE aftermarket for it, from V8 swaps, to air bags. And cheap replacement parts at the local parts store.

Major down falls are though, it doesn't keep with the traditional thing your going for and the ball joints suck.

But lets be honest, what was hotrodding back in the day.... taking the coolest stuff you could find, combining that with the cheap **** you had around and a couple speed parts to make the car "yours". Depends on what your going for, mine's gonna be damn near a daily driver, and I wanted to keep true to the idea, not the period, hotrod. HAHA and let me tell you the girlfriend and landlord are not liking the pile of COOL, FAST, AND OLD **** I've been building
SURFER1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
nogaroa4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURFER1316 View Post
The S10 is supposedly one of the easiest to do, there's several writeups online, and a HUGE aftermarket for it, from V8 swaps, to air bags. And cheap replacement parts at the local parts store.

Major down falls are though, it doesn't keep with the traditional thing your going for and the ball joints suck.

But lets be honest, what was hotrodding back in the day.... taking the coolest stuff you could find, combining that with the cheap **** you had around and a couple speed parts to make the car "yours". Depends on what your going for, mine's gonna be damn near a daily driver, and I wanted to keep true to the idea, not the period, hotrod. HAHA and let me tell you the girlfriend and landlord are not liking the pile of COOL, FAST, AND OLD **** I've been building

Do you have any links to the any s10 write ups?
nogaroa4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
SURFER1316

there's one over on jalopyjournal.com in the tech section, www.ad-engineering.com has a lot of good pics, if you want some more, PM me and I'll forward you a TON of links I've saved during my research
SURFER1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:55 AM   #11
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle View Post
Brian, do you plan on using power brakes and like? Right now am planning out my frame, should I use the MII, S10 frame or dropped axle. From just adding the prices up to do a dropped axle with all the added goodies it was the same price range as the MII swap.
Right now am torn between the MII and S10. Not sure which MII to run, Ive heard they wont handle that Buick 455 I plan on installing. The S10 looks easy at first til you start and figure all the crap you dont think about.
Eric, if the MII can handle a big block chevy and I see that all the time, it sure as hell can handle the Buick being it is a few hundred pounds lighter!

I am really not certain what I will do. I have a "new" frame coming and I'll just sleep on it a few months.

I will run the discs on the dropped axle, poor brakes I wil NOT put up with.

I may go ahead with the MII, I am just looking at my options.

Brian