The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
f.monroe

Ever strip an 87 SWB Silverado ?

I think I am going to buy a totaled 87 Red/Red Short bed tomorrow . I dont think it would be wise to try to repair it since it needs everything and a cab . I thought about putting the dual tanks , rebuilt 350/th700 combo in my 77 . Is it a pretty easy swap since I would have a complete running 87 to use for parts . I figure that it would probably be wise to use the inside and outside wiring harnesses . How many of you have done this ? Frank
Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
HuggerCST

Re: Ever strip an 87 SWB Silverado ?

I'm swapping a '87 TBI 350 and harness into a '85 now, but just got started on it. If you end up with any extra red interior parts let me know.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up Re: Ever strip an 87 SWB Silverado ?

Frank,

I haven't done it but theres some holes your gonna have to drill in your firewall to accept the wiring harness that supports that TBI system.

And you will need to use the complete '87 Vehicles wiring harness and fuse block cuz it has fuses on there for the ECM power protection and i think that fuse block assembly is physically bigger than your '77 unit so that hole in the firewall may need to be opened up a bit.

You will also have to try to mount the ECM where they did in the '87 im not sure if the same spot is available in your '77.

You may need to use the complete dash and insturment cluster out of the '87 cuz the cumputer runs some stuff in the dash like the SES light and the ALDL and if your gonna use it or if the '87 has it the cruise control is in there as well.

The Eng & Trans should be a direct bolt in affare you may need to use the '87 trans X member and drive shaft but thats it.

Thats about all i can think of for now and if iv'e missed some thing im sure someone else will think of it.

That will be a sweet upgrade in your '77 and one well worth the time and effort.

Good luck.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

The biggest pain is the dash wiring harness. I would use the column out of the '87 since it will have the stalk mounted wipers. Ideally, you could strip the '77, then transfer everything from the '87 into it, to make it easier to remember where everything goes. A buddy of mine stripped out a Sub to put the engine into a 2wd Blazer. He said the hardest part was remembering where everything went after a year break inbetween stripping the Sub and reassembly.
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
67c-10Texas

stripped an 87 - remember that the 87 is a one only year for the fuel injection. make sure to get the fuel and return lines, the tank selector valve is different from other years i think. grab the switch off the dash too because it has a different wiring. i think you can use other years with modifications.
67c-10Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

I'm looking for some red interior parts if they are decent.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
Crank

I'm looking for a Drivers side SWB bedside if that part aint bashed and you are willing to part??? Thanks
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
f.monroe

Thanks for the info . I went to try to pay for the truck today but the owner wants to find out what the issues are with the title having to be switched to salvage . I do not plan to put it back together so I told him I would buy it and he could keep the title in his possession if he wanted . He is going to talk to someone he knows to make sure he cant fixit and retain the clear title . If so he may want to keep it . I am sure this is not possible since he has been contacted by the State of Texas about the salvege issue . The insurance company paid him for it and he basically bought it back . The only body panels that are good are the driver door and bed side . I would be keeping those . I have my 77 from High School that the frame is bare . It would be nice to swap the 87 parts over then convert the cab . I also have A pair of GM fenders , doors , and a hood I bought 10 years ago . I have a pair of 77 low back buckets and several consoles , a new GM dashpad and a pair of 77-80 GM ,new in the box, Cheyenne/Silverado door panels . These parts have been waiting for something to incite me to do something with the old truck . I think it would be neat to rebuild my HS truck but with the FI 350 and OD . I hope the deal goes through well . Frank