The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2002, 12:51 AM   #1
ThreeQuarter

Who's heard of these guys?

They have a low-price guarantee and free shipping in the USA.

ATK Engines
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 02:04 AM   #2
Piston
Account Suspended

We've used a few of them. I would say they arent "too" bad. Of all the assembly line remanufactures they would be my next choice other than Jasper. The parts that ATK rebuilds with are not the best but certainly not like 5Star, Sequel and some other lower brands.

Double check the warranty though. They only pay parts and a very small amount of labor. They used to pay 32.00hr for labor, which at the time was half the going rate.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 02:12 AM   #3
BIG ORANGE

Low price,I dont know

I check the price on there ZZ4 355 engine and it was 3995,I can get that same engine from GM for 3.600 maybe some of there other stuff is cheaper or maybe they will match or beat the GM price,not sure.

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 03:17 AM   #4
Hooter
My other Love

build the motor yourself. Then you know who to blame when something goes wrong

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 03:43 PM   #5
ckhd

I hear ya Hooter! I can hardly stand the thought of a crate engine. I want to know exactly what the parts are, what's been done to them, and exactly how they were assembled.

My 'burb has a crate engine (it was that way when I bought it), and it drives me nuts. I've considered pulling it and taking it apart just to see what is in there.

It would help if there was a stamp code on it, but what's there has no usable code.

Is there any way to tell what the heck a crate engine is by something else on it, or did crates have something else. I think the guy I bought it from said that it was a targetmaster. Gutless hunk of scrap iron is what I call it. Well, maybe it would make a good rebuilder...

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 03:54 PM   #6
mikep
Used to have a truck

targetmaster = low compression, small port heads , cast pisons, light duty rods and cast crank with a camshaft that kind of has bumps on it. Your biggest problem being the cam and lack of compression.

Throw a cam in the 210-220 @ .050 duration area and you'll feel the difference right away. Throw a set of Vortecs or some 64 cc world product SR torquers on it and you'll practically pee yourself from the difference. You'll go from 200 HP to 300+ in an afternoon for about $500-$700 depending on what you can find the heads for.
Old 11-09-2002, 04:10 PM   #7
Piston
Account Suspended

Just a side note about GM crates (targetmaster). Maybe they have changed thier process... but just a couple of years ago the majority of these engines are assembled in mexico. Remember back when GM had a terrible time with broken pistons/piston noise on startup in the Roadmaster line? The engines were pulled and sent to mexico to be rebuilt. We found massive problems with these engines: Pistons still shattering, valve seats falling out, broken valve springs and oiling problems. That was GM's crate motor at the time.

Maybe things have changed for them... but as far as I know they are still made in mexico and have a stamping in the lifter galley (4x4" dotted area inside the lifter galley). I'd say they were ok for stock use but if your going to go performance... Build your own with "good" parts. Maybe not build it yourself but have a shop you trust and has good warranty build it. Like its been said before, KNOW what your engine has and know what it can do.

All this info is for the 350 targetmaster engine. I have no idea about the other crates GM sells.... Also, thier performance crates are NOT the same as the targetmasters. Ask your dealer for info on these engines, see if they are still made in mexico.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 05:30 PM   #8
Huck

Aren't the Targetmaster engines rebuilt by GM and the other GM Crate engines are actually brand new production with a 36month, 50K mile warranty? Mine was made in Mexico, was all new, and runs that way. After 3 years and some 30K miles, I have no complaints---in fact, I couldn't get as good an engine from a rebuilder for the same money and warranty. If performance is your goal, I've seen brand new high performance GM engines with GM warranties for less then most shops can duplicate. My neighbor bought a 56 Nomad with a GM crate engine that developed an overheating problem---GM replaced it with a new one ---under warranty. I personally don't care where it's made as half of the "factory" stuff was made in Canada. As long as the quality is there it could be built by elves!!! Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 06:04 PM   #9
MikeB

Get the 330hp 350 for $2200. It has Vortec heads, a hotter cam, and chrome valve covers and timing chain cover.

I would NEVER buy the cheapest rebuilt engine out there. You'll get reconditioned rods and "rebuilder" rings, bearings, and gaskets. And you may or may not get a fresh bore and new pistons. If you do, the pistons will be China's cheapest. And the cam and lifters -- who knows? If you're getting a complete engine, the low price shops will knurl the valve guides, which lasts for maybe 10K miles. After that, hello smoke. (That is if the engine makes it 10K miles.)
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 11:50 PM   #10
Ratpowerd67

i put a gm crate motor in my 4x4. it was 100% brand new 40,000 miles ago and it says mexico on the block. i give this motor hell in the mud pits, high rpms,and lots of abuse. i change the oil when needed and thats it. the motor has never let me down. i have had pro builders build me motors and they just dont hold up like this one for 1/2 the price. i would buy another anyday. that s.o.b is STRONG!
Ratpowerd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 01:11 AM   #11
SoCal71K20

Mexican cheby,no es la problema amigos.We had our share of
foundary and assembly woes up here in the past,also. It's all
good now.If you want some real satisfaction and the feeling
of accomplishment,take your time and build yer own.I've built
small blocks all different ways over the years and it's always
a kick in the ass to light one off after dropping it in a needy
patient.Good luck to all which ever way you go.Next time you
are in the need of strong drink,try tequila called Tres Hermanos.
Good stuff.
SoCal71K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 09:40 AM   #12
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

So, what's the bottom line? Price? Warranty? Knowing what is in it? Knowing WHO built it? The way I see it, any and all factors are important. If you need an engine in a vehicle to sell it, AND you aren't offering any warranty or care about the sale, you'll go cheap and quick. If it is your driver, your are going to look at other factors. There's a buttload of builders and rebuilders out there, as well as the GM Performance Parts resource.

I'm looking to GM for their warranty, but will move above the Targetmaster engines. Vortec heads are important, but I have to run a carburetor (Edelbrock Q-Jet) on my '69, which still has the original block after at least one rebuild and what I suspect is almost 210K miles. With a five-place odometer, we have no way of knowing. For those who delight in odometer readings, my '69 has less than 10,000 miles on it.....at least according to the odometer. I have too much money in it, to skimp on the driveline. Oh, I still have body and paint to go. It's a money pit on wheels!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 11:21 AM   #13
Desert Rat

If i was going to run a SBC and wanted a new more headache free one,id go to GM and spend the money and get a crate,or have on rebuilt buy a reputable shop.when i go to car shows down here and they have some big nasty motor,if the owner is nearby i always ask what shop they had their work done at,usually if someone has $40,000 spent on a show car they have a quality motor built,i see alot with crate motors from stock ones dressed up,to the nasty spendy ones,for a daily driver id buy the what is it $1100 350,i havent really heard anything bad about it,i know of people who bump up the cam and such,but all that i believe voids the warranty which is good,so when the warranty is over then play with it.
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 05:52 PM   #14
ThreeQuarter

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the opinions! I have a friend who needs a new engine for his '89 Chevy (TBI) just to get him through college. After that he couldn't care less if it blew up. So yes, price is a huge factor here. He's still looking at his options.
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 10:12 AM   #15
ckhd

Well, on the plus side of GM, my brother has a '92 K2500, and he has 220,000 miles on the original engine. It's pretty tired, but it still works pretty well. No noise, no problems, just tired.

I'd still build it myself, but that is just me.

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote