The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2007, 04:00 AM   #26
kevncar

Re: Work sucks.. any one else have a bad day!

Sorry to hear of your situation skchevota, but I STRONGLY second timcos comments about Dave Ramsey. I work for a company that had two partners, one very much a mentor figure, the other pretty much just occupies space. The mentor partner came down with ALS and unfortunately doesn't have much more time with us. This really brought my life into perspective and I realized that without debt and with a little bit of an Emergency Fund...you have options.

I realize that's not much help for today, but keep your head up, keep looking for something and take some odd jobs until something comes along. Once you get back on your feet, check out www.daveramsey.com

It'll change your way of life...if you work at it. It did for my family.

Good luck

72 Chevelle

67 C10...454/TH400
Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=193961
kevncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:25 AM   #27
watahyahknow

hope you get a new job soon , im unemployed for 3 years now and after that sortah time its hard to find anny job and get back intoo the rithem of working again
4500 is a LOT you might want to look where to safe some cash i've allway's thought it was less expensive to live in the states oposed to live in europe .
i spend 10 euro avarage a day tops for food fuel and clothes and about 950 euro a month for housing , car , car and health insurance and gas light water but than again i live on my own

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #28
jimmydean

I didn't have as drastic a change as Timcos, but it was sort of the same deal. When the start-up I was working for burst with the rest of them I spent 6 months on the couch. I looked and applied everywhere and the market at the time was flooded with Software Engineers.

I picked up the paper and took a job at Anderson Towing. He figured out I was a bit brighter than most folks that worked for him, so I became the "special project". He taught me how to do accident recovery using a wench and the tricks to recovering rollovers and extraction from ditches and stuff. It was $10 + overtime, but I had a brand new $100k truck and I learned a lot.

6 months later I was back in the software world, but I learned a lot and it got me through one of the hardest times my family had to deal with.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Also try www.careerbuilder.com
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #29
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

This has been an infomative thread for me. I'm making decent money but not in what I want to do and am trying to get into LE. Skchevota, keep your chin up!

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #30
gregfull

Good luck on your job search. If you were a machinist I'd hire you today, but on the flip side, the construction industry is hot and heavy down here in SE Texas, you'd have to give up your beautiful mountains though. Good Luck!
57 Belair
55 Cameo
06 Chevy 1/2 ton crew
09 Suburban
gregfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #31
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Sounds like a great time to start your own business and be you own boss! It's better to own the corporate ladder rather than trying to climb it! Always a good idea to keep 3-6 months of emergency cash, or an open line of credit. Never know when the "big one" will hit ya!

Good luck on whichever direction you decide to take. If you have a passion, and are good at it, and can create value for others by doing it, GO FOR IT!!!!! That's what I am in the process of doing, and I am very happy so far, and it's only going to get better!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 01-18-2007 at 02:24 PM.
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:56 PM   #32
s95930
A-Adam A-Adam

Keep your head up and keep looking.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #33
LEEVON

I work for a large construction firm from Greeley, CO which will remain nameless as I shouldn't be cruising this site on the job...but you probably know the yellow trucks since it's about 5 miles away. I don't pull enough weight to make a call and get you on right away, but if you pm me I can give you all of the contact info for the local projects (most Denver, Ft. Collins) Always looking for good foremen, Supt's, etc...
Old 01-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #34
watahyahknow

wsh i had this type of help over here in the netherlands you guys are realy looking out for eachother

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:32 AM   #35
skchevota

thanks again for all your help and support. I am deep in the hunt so we will see what comes up.
It is nice to see the kids during the day for a change though.
skchevota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:51 AM   #36
bad_turbo
turbo enthusiast

if you had a class A license and could drive a transporter truck, I could keep you busy in socal.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:36 AM   #37
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

If you want to come to Sunny Washington we are hiring bus drivers. $14.00 per hr for first 6 wks then $18.00 per hr then goes upto $24.00 per hr.
Full medical paid 12 holidays and 2 weeks vacation after the first year.
Go to this link if interested:
http://www.commtrans.org/?mc=commtrans&subcat=1
Good luck
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote