The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
GREASEMONKEY72

question about seafoam (again)

directions on bottle:: with warm engine running, SLOWLY pour 1/3 pint through carburetor, throttle body or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed ALL CYLINDERS. possible sources are PCV valve or brake booster line. turn ignition off. restart engine after 5 minutes.::

now thats what the bottle says but ive heard different actually from this here board and my question is should i do it the way the bottle says or the way i heard which is

:: to pour or suck up a 1/3 pint then pour in and choke the engine and wait 10-15min then restart ::

any comments or expierences would be helpfull as to how i should go about doing this, many thanks in advance

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
redhead69
fugedaboutit

Re: question about seafoam (again)

Ive done it a couple times on my 98 s10 for the egr. Ive always followed the directions and sipped it thru the booster line which on mine goes right in the rear center of the manifold, feeding all cylinders (I hope). Its always helped make it run smoother and has nearly cured my pesty egr problem. I just dont like the sounds of choking the motor out.. just my .02
Old 01-23-2007, 01:04 AM   #3
jimmydean

I poured a little through the carb and tossed the rest in the gas tank with about 1/3 of a tank.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:21 AM   #4
shifty
Questionable

I always detach the power brake vacuum line. I take a cup and pour slowly 1/3 into the power brake vacuum line. When it's near the end of the cup, I dump the remainder in to flood the engine and kill it. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Pour 1/3 into the valve cover and 1/3 into the gas tank (full, preferrably).

After 10-15 mins, turn on the car. Let it idle. It will smoke like holy hell. Some people say you should drive around for a few miles and come back, then change your oil. I was told it's a bad idea to drive around for more than a couple dozen miles w/o changing your oil.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
FarmTruk
In Memoriam...

Hey guys, I'm glad this question came up. I've read many people describing this stuff, and how they use it. I've also read the MSDS from their website...http://www.seafoamsales.com/

I'm not trying to be a safety nazi, and I'm not a prude either, but is pouring a highly flammable liquid - with your hands - the best/safest way to use this ?

I had a bad experience with pouring gasoline into a carb to prime it. I was troubleshooting a fuel pump issue, and minutes earlier had spilled some fuel in the engine bay. Once the motor started, it nearly flooded, and it backfired thru the carb...
I know...I know...that was my own fault, but it was an innocent, yet likely common, mistake.

Anyhow, the backfire caught the container (still half full of gas and in my hand) on fire. Startled the bejeezes out of me. I jumped back, and in the process, splashed the gas on my face and shirt.

Time to stop-drop-roll...

Well, long story short, I singed my beard, eyelashes, eyebrows, and some of whats left of my once full head of hair. Also burned some good holes in the shirt I ripped off while rolling.

I'll never do that again, and I like the idea of applying this product thru a vacuum line.

The question I'm asking is...if you DO pour enough in to flood out the motor, wouldn't this pose a risk of backfire as well.

Sorry to be such a pansy 'bout this, but I would like to hear ya'll's thoughts on using this stuff...
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:11 AM   #6
shifty
Questionable

I have yet to read about a case - out of the literally hundreds of thousands of cases of use you will find by going to Google and typing "Seafoam treatment" or "seafoam treatment forums". Dealerships even use it the same way.

I have never used it on a carb'd vehicle - but farmers have been doing it for decades, certainly over those decades if it was common, someone would know about it.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:29 AM   #7
GREASEMONKEY72

so pour a 1/3 of the pint into a cup and pour most of it into the engine then use the rest to flood the engine to kill it, then let it sit for 10-15 min then fire it up till the smoke stops and its good???

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
Old 01-23-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
shifty
Questionable

You got it - that's the general overview I got, it's what I've been doing on all my cars, and it works.

I saw on one forum where someone used a bore scope to look at the cylinder walls before and after (removing the spark plug for access). It was burnt looking before (brown like a dirty glass bong, if you can relate) and after cleaning using 1/3 into booster line method, walls were shiny silver. Mindboggling.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
jimmydean

I put a full can in my crank case and ran it for about 10-15 minutes, then changed the oil when I first put my motor in. Other than that, I have only used it in the fuel system.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
GREASEMONKEY72

well im gona go out and change my valve seals and afterwards im gona do the seafoam and ill let yall know how it goes and ill even take a pic of the smoke for some enjoyment...haha

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
Old 01-23-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
ClassicRedneck05

How good is this stuff and about how much does it cost?

1972 Chevrolet K-20 LWB 502 LiFtEd
ClassicRedneck05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #12
TruckinDaddy
What's that funky smell?

I just did mine last week. Right through the 2bbl. Not nearly as much smoke as I expected, but the old girl is starting and running like gold, now!

I think I paid about $6 for a one pint bottle. Used half of it for the engine and I dumped the rest into the gas tank.

68 C10 Long Step (Pretending to be a Long Fleetside) Grandpa's Farm Truck

3 on the tree, 307, No power brakes or steering
Factory Options - HD rear spring and Ammeter/Oil Gauges

My truck blog
My Car Domain page

Last edited by TruckinDaddy; 01-23-2007 at 05:05 PM.
TruckinDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
jimmydean

I think it works a lot better than many snake oil bottles. It's like $9 (or less) a bottle and I get it at NAPA, or Autozone.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:32 PM   #14
70rs/ss

I am seeing it all over the place now, NAPA, PepBoys, Etc
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:39 PM   #15
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRedneck05 View Post
How good is this stuff and about how much does it cost?
It is like nothing else you could imagine for a 120k mile or less engine. It's ~$5 a can, I think.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:15 PM   #16
GREASEMONKEY72

well i havnt done it yet but a few things are making me wonder and that is im hearing that after doing it you should change your oil and that also itll clog up the cats even tho i dont have any but my friend does on his car and also does anybody know what its made of?? and also heard that if you run it through the fuel system that you should change your fuel filter to??? so any input would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
Old 01-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #17
FarmTruk
In Memoriam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREASEMONKEY72 View Post
and also does anybody know what its made of?? and also heard that if you run it through the fuel system that you should change your fuel filter to??? so any input would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance
MSDS Here ---> http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/MSDS_SFTT_US.pdf
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #18
DoobieBrother

Just make sure if you pour it in and kill the engine (mainly if you're pouring into a vacuum line) that you don't keep pouring after it dies. Good chance of hydro-lock. Then your recourse is going to be to pull all plugs, take away fire from the wires and crank it to blow out the liquid. Kind of hard to get compression on liquid you know. LOL.
DoobieBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:31 PM   #19
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREASEMONKEY72 View Post
well i havnt done it yet but a few things are making me wonder and that is im hearing that after doing it you should change your oil and that also itll clog up the cats even tho i dont have any but my friend does on his car and also does anybody know what its made of?? and also heard that if you run it through the fuel system that you should change your fuel filter to??? so any input would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance
I have heard stories of it clogging up cats also, but never from anyone who actually uses the product. The general idea is that the smoke clogs the stuffing of the cat. As I think most people know, most cats use material inside that looks like a big block of window screen. (same pattern, sqaure holes from one end to the other). When you're burning all that gunk out, the smoke and carbon deposits go through the cat. Some people seem to think that it will gum up your cats - but I've heard that it's not possible if you follow the instructions, most importantly letting the engine heat up completely, then doing your pour off, waiting a few minutes, then firing up again.

I have never heard you would need to change the fuel filter. Why would you? I can't think of a reason. The reason to put it in your tank would typically be to help break up any clogging in your fuel injectors and/or to stabilize your gas If anything, it should help dissolve any crap in the filter, extending its life. I could be wrong, but ... thinking about that one, you got me.

It didn't clog the cats in my '92 Honda Civic (got rid of valve tick, hesitation and a rough idle though ) and it hasn't done anything bad to my '99.5 VW GTi either.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #20
GREASEMONKEY72

well thanks for the info shifty it helps alot and me and my buddy are going to do it this weekend to my truck and his 99 cougar and we are going to run it through the oil and change it to all this weekend and im gona get another bottle and run it through my tank and we shall see what happens

thanks guys

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
Old 01-24-2007, 10:49 PM   #21
Gapp

I've used it on a few vehicles and it always made a good bit of difference in throttle response.
Gapp is offline   Reply With Quote