The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #26
kbs71
71 rustless in texas

Re: My 71 is under attack from the Sound Police! HELP!!!

Texas cowboy 593'
Your right as a responible neighbor and standup guy yourself you should do what you can to get along with the neighbors. Let me tell you from previous experance having a Trooper as a neighbor can be a great asset if he likes you, or a reason to move if he doesn't. To me the exhaust question would be if they are loud, you should try to remedy the situation. First I would run tubes out the back or side of the truck (either in front or behind the tires). Let him know that you've changed the pipes and hope they are quieter, then wait and see if he complains any more. If he does, then go from there. You might want to mention how expensive new mufflers are and ask if he knows somewhere you could get them cheap. he may offer to go with you. Most law enforcement types get discounts all over the place, and he might know where hr can get you a good deal.

"No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why"

71 C-10 LWB presently in a perpetual state of disassembly
'96 Toyota (my work car)
'04 Mustang Convertable (wife's car & other money pit)
Latest aquesition and why my trucks still in the garage covered with junk..
2010 Aqua Blue metallic 6 speed Manual LS3 2SS/RS Camaro (I want one of these in my truck

FAQ here

VENDORS here

SUPPORT THE BOARD here

My second favorite SITE
kbs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:32 AM   #27
nutsforchevys

I agree with most of the other guys I might run them out the back and then maybe back your truck in. That should help some.
I agree you should go out of your way to get along with your neighbors. Not just because he is a trooper. (My neighbor is a Tx Ranger)
nutsforchevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #28
watahyahknow

one thing i learned about neighbours piss them off and they give you a hell of a time on everything they find
just have a tuneup done and put some queter mufflers under there and all is peace in the world again birds will wissle dogs will wag there tail flowers will grow .....all that stuff

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #29
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
He is a stand-up guy and his family is great as well. I see it as I'm the "new guy" in the neighborhood and if I attempt to remedy a situation for the betterment of all that live around me, it will come back around to benefit me in some way in the future.
True words of wisdom. Do the right thing Tex.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:50 PM   #30
bryanw1968

Well technically like around 17" past the cab is legal so there is really nothing that cop can do. I can however respect the fact that you want to make peace in your hood. I still go through the same thing from time to time. I agree with what someone else mentioned above, run a crossover and also run it out the back. Depending on how punchy your motor is, that should do the trick. I mean come on, it's a hot rod truck, it's going to have a little rumble.

I don't know what I'd do if my neighbor sold his harley. I use him leaving in the morning as my alarm clock!
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #31
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

unless it has chainged, as long as the pipe goes out from under the cab, it's good in Tx. I argued the point with an inspector after looking at his guidelines. My pipes were 4 inches past the gab between the bed and cab. Word for word, on his papers, mine was good.

As for having tail pipes making it quieter, I have always noticed the exact oposite trend. You have tail pipes, all the noise goes out from under, no pipes, it rumples underneath, and has to reflect off the pavement and then out.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #32
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

Is there any advantage to just dead end them under the bed or route them at an angle toward the side of the bed and bologna cut them?

I guess if you had a cab on your bed it might be better out the side.

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:39 PM   #33
HuggerCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascowboy593 View Post
Great comments everyone! As L.H. said, I should adjust the carb. It's been a bit rich lately and has needed some tweaking. The other comments about the stock exit point makes sense as well. Getting him to pay for it is probably a "pipe dream" (no pun intended). He is a stand-up guy and his family is great as well. I see it as I'm the "new guy" in the neighborhood and if I attempt to remedy a situation for the betterment of all that live around me, it will come back around to benefit me in some way in the future.

Don't get me wrong: If someone is rude and obnoxious about a totally legal exhaust system, They will hear from me every morning! This was brought up in a nice manner so I will respond with a nice solution...Thx ya'll!
Good choice Tex. I like loud pipes, but not at 3am. Legal or not, you fight the lawman, and the lawman will win.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:20 PM   #34
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I have a down and dirty cheap solution that is reversable.Just put a set of glasspacks on behind your existing mufflers.I had a buddy who did that to a Dodge once to quiten it down.Lost very little rumble but quitened it a lot.You could also use a set of cutouts between the two to appease the neighbors.
Another thought is to run the duals with an H pipethen put a cutout to close them off.T into one before the cutout and run a 2 in pipe.When you want quite just close the cutouts(you will lose the noise and performance).There was an article on an AMC I think in Hot Rod a good while back that was set up this way to keep it quite for the New York police.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #35
watahyahknow

stick some metal scrubpads in the pipes before starting in the morning after youre down the block floor it and the pads exit automaticly "lol"

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:07 PM   #36
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Back to the question, guys, or this thread will be closed.

On the mufflers, I went with Dynomax Superturbos, they're a lot quieter, but give you a healthy sound when you put your foot in it. Walker (manufacturer) had some sound clips on their website comparing them, but that was a while back.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #37
sixtysevengmc
village idiot

I've got a 50 series Flo on my Ram 1500 and it's every bit as loud as any 40 series I've ever had.
sixtysevengmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #38
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

I'm glade where my house is now. I live on a dead end street off the main road and only have 6 houses on the street. No one complains about exaust to me. I have A '69 with 2.5" pipes and 2 chamber Flows dumped down in front of my rear tires. I also have a '05 Kawasaki with a Micron pipe.

Longhorn Man
I also had to argue with the inspectors. They were going to fail me for no EGR valve. One said they have a '71 and it has it. A kid up there checked the book and told the '71 owner that they only have to look at the basics on my truck (horn, lights & brakes).

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #39
Longhorn Man

well, actually they were supposed to inspect for the smog pump, PCV valve, closed air cleaner,heat stove pipe... and a few others, (per Tx law) but it sounds like your county or that inspection station was a little forgiving.
At least... per Tx regulations in a non-smog town in the late 90's.
Having pipes or bare mufflers dump out under the body is actually not good for the sheet metal. Very corrosive gasses come out, and speed up rust on the underside. Turndowns at the very least, but pipes are prefered.
I like the idea of adding a couple cheap glass packs to the existing set up. I knew a guy who did this for the same reasons and it didn't even effect his 1/4 mile times nor trap speed.. .yet, kept the neighbors satisfied.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #40
Primered_69

Inspection laws in Texas are decided by the state . Noise ordinance is decided by city.

Therefore, the sound police in the individual city would have the decision about what is too loud...it has nothing to do with the inspection process.

That being said I applaud you for attempting to be a good neighbor and a hobbyist.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:24 PM   #41
RedZ71

believe me, you are doing the right thing by showing respect to your neighbor.

in all likely hood, there is a fairly good change he thinks your truck is cool. but 2-3am and 1000rpms for 10 minutes... i would have to agree thats unreasonable.

my truck might not be as louda as your, but i have true dual, a pair of flow 40s, and 4"x24" tips. i realize im current technology and dont have coax mine to life, but i start mine, get it in gear and idle it out of my neighborhood as quietly as possible.
RedZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:33 PM   #42
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

I'm in Harris county one of the strictest in Texas. The 69 (maybe 70) and older trucks have no emissions on them at all from the factory. So they can only inspect what came on the vehicle from the factory.

In the book under 69 chevy truck you dont need a cat, inclosed air filter, EGR valve or any emmissions parts on your vehicle to pass.

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:58 PM   #43
Longhorn Man

If that's the case, Tx isn't enforcing [i]federal[/] smog laws.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:27 PM   #44
texascowboy593

Well I have tommorrow off so I will be tuning up the carb to see if I can get it to run more efficient thus have shorter idle time. If my paycheck will allow, I will be going to my favorite exhaust shop to have them extend the pipes to the rear. Like I've said, I've lived here for 2 years with no problems... It's just the cold weather startups that give me (and the neighbors) problems. Thx again for all the comments ya'll!
2014 Dodge Durango (Wife-mobile)
2008 Dodge Ram Lone Star Edition (Daily driver)
texascowboy593 is offline   Reply With Quote