The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
Eliasj123

Single Wire Alternator Part # or Year of Car??

Hey,

I'm about to upgrade my stock alternator to a single wire, internal reg alt..

Does anyone have the part number or the year make & model of car that comes with them..

I just went to PepBoys and they had no idea when I asked for a GM single wire alt. They could only punch in the year, make, & model.

Thanks
Elias
Eliasj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
71chevylowrider

Re: Single Wire Alternator Part # or Year of Car??

Man, there was a great article about these 1 wire alternators in our trucks in the Feb issue of Classic trucks, there was alot more to it then you think, for instance the 1 wire alternators kick on at a certain RPM, (not engine RPM, but alternator RPM) so if you have aftermarket pulleys (like underdrive) the RPM's are different then what the alternator was set for & on & on, it's pretty good info. Ther was some discussion on this subject here a couple weeks ago, search the archives, for alternator upgrades, I think it was a 105 amp alternator for a Cmarao, but i don't remember what years would be compatible.
71chevylowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
slepysal

the one wire alt did not come stock on cars. I may be mistaken but I think they came on tractors originaly . If I were you I would go with a Part Number 7127. This is a three wire alternator that can be found at ANY auto parts store. Buy the wiring harrness for it and your done .
Oh and if they cant sell you a 7127 ask for an alt that fits a 1977 camaro 350.,if you still want a one wire go to a HOT ROD shop ,or get one from SummitRacing.

Last edited by slepysal; 01-18-2007 at 07:34 PM.
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
zenish

i have the three wire alternater on all my stuff.
2006 yamaha vino 125
1975 goldwing
zenish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
04Xrider
Registered thread killer

Here is the one I have. No issues whate so ever, works good. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROM...em150081837214 You will also need the conversion kit.
04Xrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
Chevy Fleetside

88 suburban has a one wire alt. I acually still have the one I took out of the burb stored away.. It is a 100 amp I am sure. They came that way from the factory... I still have the whole partial surpentine system off of it. I have a full surpentine from a 90 Chevy truck for my 65..
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Shorty Cox

Elias,

I've posted this before...This is what I did on my '64 C10 and it has been working for years.

1. Take the regulator off and throw it as far as you can.
2. It should have had 4 wires connected to it.
3. Using a test light, locate the wire that is hot (12 volts)when the ignition switch is in the "run" position.
4. now, locate the wire that runs from the regulator position to the gen/alt.
5. splice the wire located in number 3 above to the one located in number 4.
6. now you have a wire at the gen/alt location that is hot (12volts)with the key in the "run" position.
7. forget the other two wires at the regulator.
8. Now remove the gen/alt and throw it as far as you can(probably can't throw it as far as you did the regulator!!)
9. Should be three wires going to the it. two small wires and one large wire. The large wire is connected to the battery and is hot (12 volts) all the time.
10. Go to the parts house and purchase an alternator with internal regulator and a new "pig tail" (the little thing that plugs onto the two terminals on the side and near the back of the alternator) they are numbered 1 & 2. the pig tail will have a small white wire and a large red wire. The new alternator will also have a large terminal(electrical connection) on the back. It will look like a screw sticking out with a nut on it.
11. Do what it takes to bolt the new alternator into the place of the gen/alt you removed and threw in step 8.
12. Once installed, plug the pig tail onto the terminals mentioned in step 10. attach the large wire from the battery (mentioned in step 9) and the red wire on the pig tail (mentioned in step 10) to the large terminal on the back of the alternator, tighten the nut.
13. Now attach the white wire on the pigtail to the wire identified in steps 4, 5, & 6.
14. Secure all left over wires.
15. Crank her up and you are good to go.

Amp meter should work also. If you have a idot light, i'm not sure.

Shorty

Last edited by Shorty Cox; 01-22-2007 at 02:57 PM. Reason: I'm stupid!!!
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
thekid54

Following your instructions, it seems like it would be difficult to find the ignition wire after the battery has been disconnected?!
thekid54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
kdevore2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Xrider View Post
Here is the one I have. No issues whate so ever, works good. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROM...em150081837214 You will also need the conversion kit.

What exactly is in the conversion kit and where can you get it???
kdevore2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #10
msgross

pickmup sells a conversion kit for $25 that plugs in to the external reg harnass. It allows you to bolt in a 94 amp 1984 (?) camaro alternator (not one wire but internal regulated and a direct bolt-in for 67-72, not sure on older though.) PM him for some info.. This is a proven conversion that won't fry your system..
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #11
slepysal

On a1 wire alternator you hook up a wire from the battery to the "bat" stud on the alernator ( thus the one wire name). It is a real simple install. There can be two problems, The first as mentioned is that the regulater needs to be "excited" or in other words kicked into charging. This is why you have to rev your motors to get the RPM's up. If your cool with romping on your motor, to get your alternator to charge , then cool.
The second problem is the availability of a one wire, as Elias123 found out. "uhhhh whats a one wire alternator?". Most auto parts store have no clue.Not a good thing if your out in the boonies and your alternator dies.
A 3 wire alternator can be found at any auto parts store the 'lester" # is 7127, is rated at 63 amps,and you can get them "clocked" ak 12,3,6,and 9 oclock. There is no need to rev it to start charging, and chances are it can be found for under 35.00 with a good chance of a lifetime warranty , if that is important to you. Msgros is right on in sugesting a ready made harnnes,The Truck stop sells them for your specific year, also try Mad industries, they sell a do it your self kit. Wow ok so I had to much coffe , gotta go work on the 60 now . Good luck.

Last edited by slepysal; 01-20-2007 at 08:17 PM.
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #12
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Here is the link to "mad electric", they have some great info on alternators.
Click on the electrical tech tab.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:40 AM   #13
Eliasj123

I appreciate the responses.. However, I did not want to start a discussion about 3 wire vs 1 wire alternators. I just wanted the part number or year of vehicles they came on.

Thank you for the couple response that provided that info.. I'll look into Summit Racing, the 88 Suburban, and e-bay...

Elias
Eliasj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
Shorty Cox

Kid, Thank you, You are correct. I will have to revise my instructions for converting a 3-wire to a 1-wire. Sometimes we over look the obvious.

Elias, Don't worry so much about a part number. Just get an alternator with an internal regulator from a mid-70s and forward GM vehicle. Get one shaped like the one you take off.

Shorty
Old 01-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #15
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Kid, Thank you, You are correct. I will have to revise my instructions for converting a 3-wire to a 1-wire. Sometimes we over look the obvious.

Elias, Don't worry so much about a part number. Just get an alternator with an internal regulator from a mid-70s and forward GM vehicle. Get one shaped like the one you take off.

Shorty
One wire alternators are available pretty much everywhere. What you need is a "GM10Si" case style alternator. These are also available thru Summit (fast free shipping) They have them in 100, 140 amp, etc. They work great. As soon as the engine reaches 2000 RPM, it will start charging, even after it has returned to idle. I have one in my Ford powered jet boat as well....works great. Just blip the throttle to 2000, and the volt meter jumps up to 14-15 volts. Thats how these are "excited". Hope this helps !!!

Here's a link to there cheapest alternator.....

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

John

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:16 PM   #16
04Xrider
Registered thread killer

Here is a link to the conversion kit I bought. $17.00. Just scroll down to the Alternator (internal regulator) conversion wirring harness. It is all pretty simple. http://www.americanclassic.com/asp/d...to&exyear=1965

Last edited by 04Xrider; 01-24-2007 at 06:19 PM.
04Xrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #17
89 crew

Shorty[/QUOTE]

Hey Shorty, His problem is so called "parts man" that either can't read a book, or isn't willing to try! Any auto parts store can find the 1 wire alt. he needs If the person is WILLING to look! I would first recommend a different parts store. Go in ask for the same thing. If the person helping you can't find it, ask who in the store knows electrical system parts. When they point you to them, you should get your part. Otherwise you might try the store manager. Most of the store managers have been in the field long enough they can find their way around. So basically what I'm saying is make your parts man work! I do it! It is a lot of fun to see them scatter for the back room when I pull in the lot!
89 crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:00 PM   #18
kdevore2

Seems to be some confusion about the RPMs to excite the alt and start charging. The RPMs listed by the alt manufacturer are the alternator RPM not the motor RPM. IIRC, the standard alt pulley is a 3:1 overdrive. So, you only really need to get the motor around idle RPMs to excite it. The only exception to this is if your using underdrive pulleys, and then you'll have to stab the throttle to get it to excite the alt.
kdevore2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #19
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdevore2 View Post
Seems to be some confusion about the RPMs to excite the alt and start charging. The RPMs listed by the alt manufacturer are the alternator RPM not the motor RPM. IIRC, the standard alt pulley is a 3:1 overdrive. So, you only really need to get the motor around idle RPMs to excite it. The only exception to this is if your using underdrive pulleys, and then you'll have to stab the throttle to get it to excite the alt.
Well...The GM style 100 amp, in my Ford powered jet boat starts charging when the engine is reved to 2000 RPM. I'm sure some vary, but I was just stating how my set-up worked. I have an engine speed tachometer, but not an alternator speed tach....therefore I am not certain. I am running a large stock 460 crank pulley. I understand perfectly what you are saying.

No confusion here.

John

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW

www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
Old 01-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #20
LAFNATU
Account Suspended

I was a starter alternator tech. for a number of years.... My advice to you is, dont buy any of that crap at pepboys, carquest, checker, napa, etc. take the alt that you have now down to a local starter/alt rebuild house and they will hook you up with exactly what you want for amps, and when it will kick in. unless you just sit in your truck and dont move, you wont have any trouble with it charging....
LAFNATU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #21
Shorty Cox

What is all this talk about RPM's. Of course "Ole blue", '64 C10, don't have a tach, so I don't know the RPM's at start, but she starts charging when the motor starts. You can get a rebuilt alternator for $40 bucks and you are in business. This stuff is not brain surgery, all you want is something to run the electrical system and keep the battery charged for the next start.

Last edited by Shorty Cox; 01-25-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:24 AM   #22
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFNATU View Post
I was a starter alternator tech. for a number of years.... My advice to you is, dont buy any of that crap at pepboys, carquest, checker, napa, etc. take the alt that you have now down to a local starter/alt rebuild house and they will hook you up with exactly what you want for amps, and when it will kick in. unless you just sit in your truck and dont move, you wont have any trouble with it charging....

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW

www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK