The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2007, 12:37 AM   #1
muddpile

Exhaust questions? Welding, mufflers, tips.

I have the exhaust run about a foot behind the cab, but from there on I need to complete my system. It is dual 2", and I need mufflers and tips, and an exit location. The truck is a LWB with the stock sport rear bumper. Is there a standard exit location, or a standard tip style that everyone uses? The truck has a blazer tank back there, so that has to be taken into consideration as well. Here's some other issues:

-Mufflers: I want a louder low rumble. The truck has a mild cam and ramhorns. Does anyone use Hooker Aerochambers, or are Flowmaster 40's the standard issue? I've also considered Flo Pros.

-Tips: Where they exit and what they look like. Pics would help.

-Welding: What do I weld and what do I clamp? I was planning on welding everything, but is it a good idea to clamp the mufflers? I usually do the whole exhaust when the mufflers are done, so removing the clamps won't be necessary.

-Welding: I will be using a gas MIG welder, but what thickness of wire do I use? The same .023 or whatever that I used for the bodywork?

Thanks!
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
FarmTruk
In Memoriam...

Re: Exhaust questions? Welding, mufflers, tips.

Can't help on the welding info, but if it were me, I'd clamp the mufflers to the pipes, and exit out the side at 45 deg., just behind the rear tires.

I like the sound of SpinTech's. Here's a cool link...http://www.drgas.com/photogal/displa...album=14&pos=9
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
GMCBubba

hey, regarding exit locations... why do so many people like to dump in front of the rear axle? is it for sound, appearance, ease of not having to route pipes over the axle, or something else?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
whatnow123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCBubba View Post
hey, regarding exit locations... why do so many people like to dump in front of the rear axle? is it for sound, appearance, ease of not having to route pipes over the axle, or something else?
mine currently dumps there, but only because it was so hacked/bent and hanging down that is where I cut it off. This was my fast and cheap option until it's mobile and to a shop to exit in front of the rear wheel.

And if it dumps in front of the axle, 2 mufflers, 4 pieces of strait pipe and some clamps and you have an exhaust s ystem.
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Do a search on exhaust.There have been several posts with links to site that have sound.there is no real standard for exhaust since everyone likes something different.The exit in front of the tires is because it doesn't require going over the axle.I realize it's cheaper and easier but I dislike the way i hear only half the exhaust note unless it's really loud.
As far as whether to clamp or weld,I like welded with flanged places for easy access to tranny and such.I don't want to have to redo the exhaust because I need to pull and reseal the tranny.Also and X or H pipe will help the sound and performance.
Just food for thought.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
underdog8704
NCStroker

i previously had mine come out right in front of the rear tires. i recently cut my tips off and now have the exhaust dumping out of the mufflers before the axel. my reasoning for this was that the exhaust was ending up on my wheels and dulling them out. i was really surprised on how the sound changed after doing this. really liked the outcome. i am running the super 40 flowmasters and like them alot. have also had the regular 40s. my opinion is that the regular 40s have a raspier tone while the supers have a lower sound.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
underdog8704
NCStroker

heres a pic of the exhaust exiting before the rear wheels.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2007, 11:57 PM   #8
matthufham

almost hidden! theyre stainless but dirty in the pic
Attached Images

matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:08 AM   #9
bskylerj
Account Suspended

I ran mine out in front of the tires because when I lower it when the air is out things seem to get a little tight down there. I also wanted them to kind of blend into the truck.
Attached Images

bskylerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:15 AM   #10
71cheyennezz4

Mines a custom complete bolt on system but it will give you some ideas none the less, go with flowmasters ill get a few videos of mine you will like them!

Last edited by 71cheyennezz4; 01-25-2007 at 02:17 AM.
71cheyennezz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #11
muddpile

Thanks for the help guys! I've been thinking about Flowmasters because I know what they sound like and I rather like it, but I'm still unsure of the welding wire. I want to exit behind the rear wheels for noise reasons and to keep my wheels cleaner.
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #12
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCBubba View Post
For people who still use their truck for what it was intended, exiting in front of the rear axle saves the tail pipes from getting banged up when backing up in a bad spot. Snow banks, stumps, and/or rocks are hard on exhaust systems.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #13
gkolmatycki
Love that '69

I got my true dual exhaust installed last year on my '69 C10 LWB. I love my magnaflow SS mufflers and magnaflow embossed SS 15 degree slash-cut tips going straight out the back end. It looks and sounds hot!! Don't get me wrong I love flowmasters as well, especially the new super 40's, but I wanted to try something different. Here are a few pics of the mufflers and tips I used and some flow comparisons I found on the dynomax website.

The rear end pic is kinda fuzzy because I used my camera phone, but you get the idea.

1969 Chevy C10, SBC V8, TH-350 Transmission, Metallic Blue, B&M Megashifter, GT Grant Steering Wheel, 2.25" True Dual Magnaflow Exhaust System w/ SS Magnaflow Embossed Tips, 700W Rockford Fosgate Stereo System, Lowered 1" Front & Stock Rear, 4.56 Rear with Positraction, 15" Chrome Rims w/ Chevy Center Caps & Michelin Tires, 4.5" K&N Air Filter, Edelbrock 'Elite' Engine Accessories, Chrome Powdercoated Engine Parts

2001 Cavalier Z24, 2.4L DOHC, Silver, Spoiler, AEM Intake, 2.25" Magnaflow Exhaust System, Clear Euro Tails, Tinted Windows, 400W Clarion Stereo System
gkolmatycki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:32 AM   #14
Draggn66
Wrenchin & Sandin!!!

[QUOTE=71cheyennezz4;2001978]Mines a custom complete bolt on system but it will give you some ideas none the less, go with flowmasters ill get a few videos of mine you will like them!QUOTE]

Hey that's a good lookin exhaust! Who makes that and do you know if they make it for a 2wd?

My Favorite eBay Searches

My Driver Restore Thread
1971 C10 Longbed
2005 Silverado Shortbed
2005 FXDWG
Draggn66 is offline   Reply With Quote