The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
milehightoyz
AttentionDeficitDisorder

Lifting an 86 Chevy Crew Cab 1 ton Dually 4X4???

Hi Guys, had no luck finding info on lifting a dually. Building slammed/bagged 2wd trucks,burbs and duallies are more my forte, and I never thought I'd ever own a 4x4. Anyhow, I had to break down and buy one to get me through this crazy winter as everything I drive is currently buried in snow somewhere.

Long story short I scored a good deal on an 86 crew cab chevy 4x4 dually, rebuilt 454/4speed manual etc. By nature, I cant leave anything alone and if I cant put it in the weeds, I need it up in the sky. Any ideas, on lift springs? Everyrthing I see on ebay listed for 73-87 seems to be exclusive to 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton? I assume I could use 3/4 ton front lift springs and blocks on the rear? is this correct? Will I need special U-bolts made for the front lift springs or will the stock ones work? Im thinking 6" suspension, 3" body on 315/75/16s? if anyones got any info or pics of lifted duallies to help me visualize that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by milehightoyz; 01-24-2007 at 12:04 AM.
milehightoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
ARAMP1
ROCK*STAR

Re: Lifting an 86 Chevy Crew Cab 1 ton Dually 4X4???

Here's a pic of "Big White". Right now, it has a 4 inch lift with 33s (285/75-16s). The lift was on it before I bought it. Anyway, I think the one ton lift avaliability has to do with the spring ratings and also with the rear helper springs. I believe any 3/4 ton spring will fit though. The rears are just mounted inboard a bit more and the fronts are the same as single wheeled trucks. There are several places where you can buy them seperately or they will piece together a "kit" for you. You might want to check out the CK5 forum. They have more info than you'll ever use on these trucks. I wish I could help you more.

As for Big White, I've got big plans for her. Eventually, I'd like to fit 22.5" Alcoas under her with 41 inch off road tires. We'll see. Right now, my priority is swapping in the turbo diesel.
Attached Images

Last edited by ARAMP1; 01-24-2007 at 04:56 AM.
ARAMP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
manimal

You can also contact Deaver springs and they can make you a custom set.
(714)542-3703 They are in Santa Ana,Ca. good luck

-Lance
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
watahyahknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAMP1 View Post
Here's a pic of "Big White". Right now, it has a 4 inch lift with 33s (285/75-16s). The lift was on it before I bought it. Anyway, I think the one ton lift avaliability has to do with the spring ratings and also with the rear helper springs. I believe any 3/4 ton spring will fit though. The rears are just mounted inboard a bit more and the fronts are the same as single wheeled trucks. There are several places where you can buy them seperately or they will piece together a "kit" for you. You might want to check out the CK5 forum. They have more info than you'll ever use on these trucks. I wish I could help you more.

As for Big White, I've got big plans for her. Eventually, I'd like to fit 22.5" Alcoas under her with 41 inch off road tires. We'll see. Right now, my priority is swapping in the turbo diesel.
the place to go for the 22.5 inchers and ones adapted to 22 or 24 inch and fitting under the stock flares is http://www.chromewheel.com/ they sell the adapters needed to mount them and the fenderflare extentions for the rear when using the stock rims too last thing i heared from them is that there now only selling to vendors .
i've been looking intoo the same thing with the truckwheels but want the truck lowered and the duallies inboard the fleetside bed so i dont run of the rearfenders when roads get narrow , im not sure if i buy them there as schipping the wheels to the netherlands alone is about half the price of the wheels themselves , im can get some old alcoa wheels from belgium and im looking intoo having those and some wheeladapters machined here .

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
milehightoyz
AttentionDeficitDisorder

aramp 1 that looks awesome, did you have to use wheel spacers between your rear wheels? if so how wide? also did you use blocks on the rear or springs? that is almost exactly where I want my truck to be, well maye a couple inches up.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #6
milehightoyz
AttentionDeficitDisorder

heres a few pics i snapped today of the truck im working with....

Old 01-25-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
b454rat

Thats a pretty sweet truck. The reason you don't see alot of stuff for 1 tons is that for one they just dont list them, it's all about the newest stuff. If you call any 4wd store they will have a lift for it. But the main reason is the steering. For the most part the springs are the same, inless you want the heavy duty ones for a plow, towing, etc. The Dana 60 uses different steering parts than a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. If you want to run 35s, (same as 315/75s), all you need is a 6" lift. Get some Tuff Country EZ ride front springs, a shackleflip for the rear with little longer shackle, and a block for the steering arm. All of this stuff can be had for about the cost of a lift, if not cheaper, but will have a good ride and still be able to do what the truck is supposed to do. And if you are near Firestone, then can have it that day!! Off Road Design does all that stuff and more.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:32 PM   #8
milehightoyz
AttentionDeficitDisorder

bump for aramp1....very curious to know what lift parts you are using on the rear, ie block, springs, shackle flip etc. also.....do you need wheel spacers to space out the 2 rear duals to squeeze a 285/75/16 and not have the 2 sidewalls rub eachother, if nto how close are they to touching? thanks again for all the help guys, john