The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
84_4x4

Carb rebuild, oil leak, tranny leak

ok i have a 71 c10 with a 307 and 3 speed trans this truck has lots of leaks and im going to fix them but wanted some advice first.

carb is leaking gas out the front top and the side bottom and i am running rich so i believe it is time for a rebuild it has the stock Rochester 2 barrel and i am looking for a manual or step by step instruction on how to do it and where is a good place to buy the kit

oil is leaking from my timing chain cover and possible the oil pan since my water pump is on the way out i figured i would replace it and fix the oil leaks on pan and timing chain cover which i know how to do but just looking to see if anyone knows something that could be tricky on this engine that i might not think of other than just pull plate and seal

transmission is leaking lube around the shifting linkages on the transmission and i dont even know where to start on fixing that wondering what i need to do to get it fixed i checked the lube level and its barely low so its not a fast leak just something that needs to be fixed.

any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated
84_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
wheels67

Re: Carb rebuild, oil leak, tranny leak

Do you have a haynes or chiltons manual for your truck? All that info would be in there. I usually look in the yellow pages for a carb rebuilder, about 65 dollars for my last one. Other stuff is just normal get dirty maintainence.

Youve got me wondering on the linkage if an o ring failed or something.
wheels67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #3
84_4x4

no i don't have a manual haven't even looked at auto zone to see if they even have it but i want to rebuild my own carb because i want to learn how to and its cheaper if i do it
84_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
wheels67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_4x4 View Post
no i don't have a manual haven't even looked at auto zone to see if they even have it but i want to rebuild my own carb because i want to learn how to and its cheaper if i do it

Your in luck cuz the manual shows you step by step how to do it. As far as secrets on this stuff...i dont know.
wheels67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
dave2953
Dave's not here, man

When I bought the rebuild kit for my old 2 bbl Rochester it came with diagrams and instructions on how to do the rebuild. A Haynes/Chilton manual is a good idea, also. I bought a factory service manual on ebay that has a lot of year specific information for my truck and it has helped me out a lot. Sounds like the float might be sticking in the carb; that's what mine did. Also, if you end up replacing the pan gasket, get the one piece Fel-Pro. I used it on mine and it's awesome! Good luck on your rebuild!

Last edited by dave2953; 01-29-2007 at 08:29 PM.
dave2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
cdowns

factory service manuals(available from most board vendors) is about the best $25 you can spend on your truck// also most quality rebuild kits have a pretty complete instruction sheet// i usually get carb rebuild kits from NAPA OR Carquest
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote