The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2002, 09:36 PM   #1
Brewski*

How to get trim off????? or the

Well after the $700.00 hotdog bun deal the other night I lost some of the upper trim on the RED ROCKET. So, I decided to start the BLACK BETTY project (re-paint to origional color) project a little sooner than expected. How do I remove the rest of the trim??
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 09:48 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Which chrome on your truck are you refering to?

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 09:59 AM   #3
Brewski*

Upper trim all the way down both sides. i saw that I can use a 2x4 to push down on it andpop the bottom loose. Correct?
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:41 AM   #4
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

Bed chrome can be attached with the push in clips or a combination of push in clips and the glue on pads. Doors and fenders usually have the bolt in clips, so they have to be unscrewed.

The bed clips can be very difficult, especially the push in clips which are like fish hooks. What I do on the bed clips is to soak
the entire strip down with penetrating fluid, making sure that it
gets under the chrome. Using a trim tool or other flat tool, I carefully pry the chrome out and using a small bent scredriver,
I dissengage the little spring that keeps the clip oriented. Once the spring is disengaged I can rotate the clip to release the chrome, (rotation is toward the spring). I think there are 12 clips on the long beds, so the process is slow, but if you are carefull, you can save the chrome everytime. The clips are spring metal so when you pry the chrome out you are deflecting the clip. After the chrome is off, removing the clips can be done with a needle nose pliers, but usually 1/2 will break before they will come out.

If the chrome is held on with the combination of push in clips and glue on pads, what usually works is to release the two end clips which are the metal push in and then the pads will pull off with the chrome unless they stick better than the ones that I have dealt with. If the pads don't pull easily, I use a putty tool to
unstick the pads from the bedside.

I have never been able to push the chrome one way or the other to remove them from the pads. In fact once you get the chrome off, it is still hard to remove the pads, one by one from the chrome.

Good luck!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote