The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
dilling

adding factory

I want to add factory to my truck can someone tell me what needs to be cut . Edited by Moderator

Last edited by krue; 01-28-2007 at 11:03 PM.
dilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
dilling

I left off factory air

n/m
Old 01-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

Re: adding factory

Welcome to the board. You must be a subscribed member to post a WTB. For info on subscribing click the "Support the board" link in my signature.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
cooters

is wtb not a want to buy? noone here is looking to buy, they are looking for info.
cooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:22 PM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

If you read the original post you would know why I posted what I did (plus the red EDITED BY MODERATOR) in his first post. I left the request for info (cuz I'm a nice guy) and edited the wtb. Thank you for your input.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"

Last edited by krue; 01-28-2007 at 11:24 PM.
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:04 PM   #6
dilling

I not trying to be a pain, but this is why I very I do not use fourms. I had 3 post telling me what I did wrong. Nobody even bothered to answer question go figure.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
GMCBubba

i can't tell you how to add factory air to your ride, but try using the search features of the forum. i'm sure there are several threads talking about it. you may even find some threads in the faq sections (a good place to start looking). the folks here are very eager to help if you ask a clear question. you can even try starting a new thread clarifying what kind of info you want. if you want to post a "want to buy," "for sale," or "what's it worth" thread, then you must be a site supporter. hope this helps
Old 01-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
woodridge

I did a quick search in the faqs section and didn't find anyting on factory ac.
The firewall will have to be modified as well as the dash for the center vent and side vents. If you are taking ac off another truck then do a tracing of the firewall and the center and end vents in the dash. If not,you will need someone to doa tracing and send it to you. Also,if your are needing to do a lot of rust repair on your cab you might consider just changing cabs.

Oh, yes, welcome to the board, sorry you got off to a bumpy start. You will find the members here very helpful. If you havent already, you might take a few minutes checking out the site rules. It can be very helpful in knowing how and where to post.
Keep the Q's coming, we'll do our best to help.

Last edited by woodridge; 01-29-2007 at 12:16 PM.
woodridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

Its best to find a donor for parts and/or templates, as said above, the dash and firewall have to be modified or swapped.
Attached Images

sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
bagged91
Out draggin'

Thanks sneakysnake! I was looking for those pictures earlier... dilling, welcome to the board from NJ!
72 C10 Burb (ex. Cheesewagon)SOLD
72 C20 Burb parts truck
71 C10 Burb "project"
bagged91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #11
john
member #16

And welcome to the board.
Attached Images

Last edited by john; 01-29-2007 at 06:15 PM.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:22 PM   #12
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilling View Post
I not trying to be a pain, but this is why I very I do not use fourms. I had 3 post
telling me what I did wrong. Nobody even bothered to answer question go figure.
No offense, but most of us see the "Edited by Moderator" and just skip the
whole thread without reading it, a few have posted some pictures and that
should help you out some, at any rate I'll add this to your infamous thread,

Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:04 PM   #13
cooters

has anyone tried an aftermarket a/c system? How did it work out? I know the aftermarket systems are much smaller which is a bonus.
cooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #14
dilling

thank you guys !!! I did try a search and did not find anything, not sure why , thanks again
Old 01-29-2007, 11:21 PM   #15
71swb4x4

dilling, this thread has some good info too: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=160597
Old 01-30-2007, 12:13 AM   #16
OhNoJoe

Hey,

I posted some this as a tread but it got buried quick.

I’m new here and have been lurking for a while.

I have a 63 C-10 fleetside, my DD and a rusty ugly puppy of a truck., which I love.

I also have a 72 burb that is pretty but weak. I’m going to start a rebuild on the burb’s 292 inline six.

I got the correct A/C bracket but that is it.

I was hoping to get a little guidance with the following:

When looking at the front of the engine there is space for one more belt. I can’t find a good write up of the 292 for me to figure out if I can just add the compressor and throw a belt on the pulley or do I have to choose between power steering and A/C. Any thoughts?

I know that the stock distributor will allow the condenser to be mounted right above the distributor. (I got pictures of that) I’m pretty sure that a HEI distributor will not fit unless I can find one with a remote coil. I thought I saw one that may work a few months ago but alas I didn’t book mark the page. I would like to get a new one because of the reliability issues with using a 30 year old part. Any thoughts?

I’m really needing to add A/C because it does get hot here in central Illinois. I know that folks refer to an A/C cab. (I know some this got answered above) I’m assuming that the firewall is different between an A/C cab and a non A/C cab but I can’t seem to be able to figure out the difference. Is there a difference in the fire wall or is it the dash with the vent holes or what? I would like to try to find a good used A/C unit rather than paying over 1K for a Vintage Air or Old Air. Will a used stock A/C unit work without much of a hassle?

Thanks in Advance
Joe

I do have some pictures if any one is interested.
OhNoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:17 AM   #17
71swb4x4

Joe, there is a difference in the firewall, sneakysnake has a picture of it in his post.
Unless you get lucky, you may easily find that once you get a stock A/C unit installed and working in a non-AC truck, you will have close to what a Vintage Air or Old Air unit would have cost.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:32 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Welcome to the board.I saw this and wanted to help,but there wasn`t enough info left in your post,sorry.You got it,now.tThat`s what`s great about this place.Stick around,seeya.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #19
klownkar

I want to add factory air to my 70 as well. I spoke with my little brother who's coworker used to work at ricks pick up parts and daid it is easy to cust the holes in the dash to make a non a/c truck use factory a/c truck components. He said ricks did it all the time
klownkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #20
OhNoJoe

Thanks for the input.

I guess there aren't that many stovebolters around here. Maybe I'llk try the stovebolt page but even there it's a alot of 350s and 327s ect ect....

Anyone have any clues about the following:

When looking at the front of the engine there is space for one more belt. I can’t find a good write up of the 292 for me to figure out if I can just add the compressor and throw a belt on the pulley or do I have to choose between power steering and A/C. Any thoughts?

I know that the stock distributor will allow the condenser to be mounted right above the distributor. (I got pictures of that) I’m pretty sure that a HEI distributor will not fit unless I can find one with a remote coil. I thought I saw one that may work a few months ago but alas I didn’t book mark the page. I would like to get a new one because of the reliability issues with using a 30 year old part. Any thoughts?
OhNoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #21
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

OhNoJoe,try www.inlinersinternational.com for 6 cyl info.There are some real guru's of the liner over there.I don't think having PS excludes you from having AC but I could be wrong(It's never happened before{Unless you ask my wife})LOL. If you guys are looking for factory air I think you will find 71swb4X4 is probably right about cost.You can get Vintage or Old Air Products systems that use factory style vents if the interior look is what you're after.ONJ you probably should look at an aftermarket unit since you are basically going to be trying to cool a BARN!!I checked and found that most AC people recommended a unit to mimic the original and another mounted in the rear for my Panel.They told me both could be run off of a single compressor.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote