The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2002, 08:36 PM   #1
j-dogg

Can't get my license plate light to work. Need help.

I bought new bulbs and that didn't work. I checked the bulbs on another truck and they all worked fine. I bought a brand new license plate light assembly thinking the old one was too rusty and that didn't work. I cleaned the old assembly thoroughly and that didn't work. The weird thing is that I am getting power all the way to the point of contact for the bulb, but it just won't come on. Is there some sort of ground I don't know about. This is really irritating because I can't drive at night until it's fixed.
j-dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 08:52 PM   #2
70 Suburban
Rods

they use a body ground.start with cleaning around the screw hole and where the light frame touches the metal.. then go to the engine and make sure that you have a frame to body or batt to frame ground
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 09:40 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Safe to say you have a good chassis ground, otherwise you'd be asking why you have no lights anywhere.
Is this a stock chrome bumper, or an aftermarket deal? Either way...you'll need to ensure that the bumper is grounded. You already confirmed the power is getting to the light, it just can't get out of the light. When you tested for voltage, what did you use for a ground? It wasn't the bumper was it?
Remove a couple bumper bolts, and clean up all the rust and road grime in there. You'll probably bust them if they are original. I'd coat the new ones (or the old ones if they live) with anti-seize, prevent corrosion and make it easier to remove next time.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 09:43 PM   #4
Gordo

Smile

We're talkin rear bumper plate light, right?, and you have power coming in, then it's has to be a ground problem, take a jumper wire and ground light housing to a good ground on the frame, bypassing bumper and brackets, does it light up? If so, it must be a rusted situation between bumper/brackets and frame. Question, where are you grounding your test light?
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 09:48 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

heh heh heh I beat you to it Gordo.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 09:50 PM   #6
Gordo

Smile

That's you, buddy! LOL
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote