The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2002, 07:41 PM   #1
Ackattack

carrier bearing problem

I'm having a problem with my carrier bearing. It basically keeps getting pushed forward, so that rather than being vertical, it is at like a 20 degree angle from vertical. The actual bearing is on the shaft straight, but the rubber surrounding and frame bend at this angle. It even bends the bracket that the carrier bearing mounts too.

I had a shorter drive shaft (1/2") made to help eleminate this problem, but obviously it didn't help.

I lowered my truck by removing a leaf, so I think I'm getting axle rap, but I'm not seeing how that would cause this problem. I've also put shims in to help with the pinion angle.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 08:53 PM   #2
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

not seeing how that can occur like that when there is a slip shaft splien join in the rear half..
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 08:59 PM   #3
Ackattack

that's kinda what I thought. When it does happen though, it moves the DS up, so ith changes the angle of the 2nd DS, and I get a lot of vibration.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:54 PM   #4
Ackattack

ttt
Old 11-16-2002, 01:35 PM   #5
Truckstr

You have the stock type split (or two-piece) drive shaft and, I'm assuming, the stock type carrier an bearing.

You said that you had the driveshaft shortened by 1/2 inch to compensate for lowering the truck.

So far, so good.

How did you "phase" the two center yokes at the carrier?

I could see where if they weren't phased properly that you could get a sort of "binding" of the two yokes that could cause the bending and vibration that you are describing.

I had a similar problem several years ago on my '72 LWB. I had to take the driveshaft out and split it like two or three times to get rid of the vibration. The carrier was slightly bent, as well. After I discovered from an old time local mechanic that it needed to be "phased", and did it, the problem went away.

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, to "phase" the yokes you basically split the driveshaft apart at the splined center and make sure that the two center yoke ends are at 90 degrees to one another when reassembling them.

Someone else please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Hope this helps.

'67 short Fleet; my ongoing project.
'66 long Fleet; my original "baby."

Live life or bust trying.
Truckstr is offline   Reply With Quote