The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
rainmans63

Heater question?

Hi Everyone!

I joined a few months ago and must say this has got to be my favorite web-site. This is my first post though, every other question I've had has been here. So here it goes!

I have a 63' without a heater and I wanted to add one. Does anyone have any recommendations on aftermarket or original? I don't want to spend the big money on a Vintage Air set-up but am looking for a good solution. Would I be better off finding someone with a complete heater system from a 60-63?

Thank you!
Ray
rainmans63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:46 AM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: Heater question?

An original from a donor will be the cheapest. If you want a/c go with the vintage air or old air.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:32 AM   #3
rainmans63

Thanks Fred, I think I'll go with your donor idea. I don't really need air right now and I just want the heater so I can have a defroster. Do I have to stick with the years of 60-63 or will other years work in my truck?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmans63 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I joined a few months ago and must say this has got to be my favorite web-site. This is my first post though, every other question I've had has been here. So here it goes!

I have a 63' without a heater and I wanted to add one. Does anyone have any recommendations on aftermarket or original? I don't want to spend the big money on a Vintage Air set-up but am looking for a good solution. Would I be better off finding someone with a complete heater system from a 60-63?

Thank you!
Ray
Whats up Ray...I see your in Fremont !! I'm John, and I'm in San Jose...Welcome !!!

I agree, a donor would be the easiest. Check around at the local pick-n-pulls. You have a nice big yard there in town.

Let me know if you need assistance

John

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
rainmans63

Hi John,

It's nice to meet you finally, I've seen your truck in a few posts and it looks great! Hopefully we can meet in person one of these days! Thanks for the advice on the pick and pull, I give it a shot.

Ray
Old 02-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Hi Ray, I lived in Fremont until the 80's when I moved north to Idaho/Washington where it drops well below freezing in the winter. My 60 GMC never had a heater until we moved here where defrosters are essential. I tried two types of streetrod heaters, a supplemental electric RV heater, a full custom fit streetrod a/c-heater (not Vintage Air) and none of them provided sufficient heat to operate the defrosters in winter. One of these might work in Fremont with the milder winters, but the installation isn't as simple as the original equipment.

The OEM heaters that are a direct fit to your truck are from 60-63 only. I'm pretty sure the 64-66 has a different firewall shape. Also be aware there are two types, the "deluxe" or fresh air type, and the "recirculating" type. The ducting inside the cab is the same for both models, however the fresh air version moves the heater motor and heater core to the engine side of the firewall where it takes up a great deal of space. I had this model at one time, however in spite of all new seals, gasket and core, the cab always smelled like antifreeze. Ultimately I obtained a recirculating version off Ebay. It works great and provides a nice streetrod appearance under the hood since the hoses are the only thing showing in the engine compartment.

Details and pictures of the 2 types are shown in the original Chevy service manuals. If you scrounge the junkyards, make sure to obtain the defroster nozzles at the dashboard. The plastic aftermarket type don't fit very well due to the shape of the firewall fresh air plenum.

Good luck.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote