The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2002, 04:53 PM   #1
Dude69

Goodmark replacement parts

I bought 2 new doors from goodmark for my 69 chevy pickup. I went the extra mile and paid the almost $300 each for them not wanting Tiawan doors. Now that I am trying to put them on they don't fit. They don't even fit in the door opening. These are supposed to be GM licensed parts. My original doors fit fine but are rusted. Has anyone else had this trouble of this sort? Does anyone have any original rust free doors for sale?
Dude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 06:27 PM   #2
GMC 3

a guy I work with is building a 72 and decided to get the goodmark fenders, cowl hood, and doors. the doors and fenders fit terrible. he spent weeks bending, cutting, welding and fabbing to try to get the fenders and doors to fit. He even cut about 1/2" out of the top rail of the door and bent it in and welded them together to get them to fit. the hood fit perfectly, but had a stamp on it that says "official GM restoration part" this stamp is not on the doors and fenders even though it says so in their catalog. He contacted Goodmark and said they might have been able to help him if he hadn't already primed the parts. good luck and sorry about the long post
GMC 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 06:30 PM   #3
NGN

Sorry I can't give you an answer for your problem with the doors(BTW which s**ks) but, I was wondering where the replacement doors were made since you paid extra for them? Hope it works out.

Thanks
NGN
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 06:36 PM   #4
Shane
Account Suspended

from what I have heard, GOODMARK does NOT produce ANY of the products they sell....they are only the importer and/or distributor...

Maybe some of the board guys that sell parts can fill us in on the details.....

Last edited by Shane; 11-17-2002 at 12:33 AM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 06:46 PM   #5
Dude69

Thanks for all the helpful info. I don't think I could do anything for my passenger door, Maybe remove shell and put back on. It hits on the top and on the rocker. If you move it up any at all the outside ridges of the truck won't match up, plus will make the hitting of the top side worse. I paid $298 to Goodmark for original GM restoration parts instead of $129 for Tiawan doors. Which now I know don't exist. Learned a little too late. Oh well, will work out.
Dude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 07:24 PM   #6
Truck Hippy

I have a rust free pass side door, but its a 72'. I used to try to buy and sell good rust free doors, fenders, and other body parts but most of the time people would not pay any thing for them because they could get "repo" parts cheaper. Well now i don't mess with and body parts. As people are finding out, 99 percent of "repo" body parts suck, or a least i think they do. I hope you can get your doors worked out. I'm asking $150 for the door, complete.
Truck Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 09:11 PM   #7
SCOTI

That is exactly what I was worried about since I've been looking for a replacement door for my Beater. I decided to just keep looking for a clean used door @ swap meets & found one last week @ Arlington Swap meet for 25$. I figure the aftermarket doors will require some prep/paint work so I might as well strip & re-work a stocker & not have to worry about it not fitting like it should. Oh yea, I will definitely bolt it on BEFORE any bodywork just to make sure. . . then if it looks good I'll pull it back off & bodywork it. Sorry about your bad experience, but thanks for sharing the info.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 09:20 PM   #8
Low68

I had the same problem with a fender. All the hole are drilled too low on the fender which makes the fender sit up higher. Plus it doesn't have any places to put the clips on for the headlight bezel. I have a repo door and it is definately not the same as the original, but I got it to fit. It just feels crappier that the original. I don't think that I would want to put on another repo product on any other projects. Good luck.
low68
Old 11-17-2002, 12:00 AM   #9
Low69CST

Goodmark pannels are made in Tiwan also, so they are better than most, but still suck.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 06:01 AM   #10
OhioDan

I also purchased Goodmark doors, fenders, and cowl hood. My painter did the best he could aligning them. He and I aren't real pleased with the way they fit. He said there was a lot of hammering and fitting to make them work. Neither of us are real happy with the way the lines look. Hood sticks up to far in the middle along the fender, doors were tough to align with the fenders because of the way they seemed to have expanded where they were bent. ( the edge seems to have swelled out and closes the gap at each bend) If I had to do over, I'd hunt for some stock body pieces. Just my opinion!

P.S. Will post some pics as soon as the weather breaks.

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 08:26 AM   #11
stepside68
Account Suspended

when you put your rockers in did you have the doors on the truck
if not you might have your rockers welding to high youu need to al ways check before you weld sorry about your doors
stepside68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 12:46 PM   #12
Dropt72Shortbed

yep, i bought 67 fenders from the truck shop for $100 each at the pomona swap (regularly like $130 i think?)

anyways theyre made in taiwan and the fronts were so wrinkled around the headlight indents that i took them back to the shop and demanded replacements. they took me to the back and let me choose the best ones, i got one good one with pretty much straight but i couldnt find a good passenger one.

so when it came to buying new doors, i went to ebay and got myself a pair of straight rust free arizona 71 doors complete from handles, glass to inside window cranks for $220. it was cheaper than repro and they should fit better from what ive been hearing about repro doors
Dropt72Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote