The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
jkade

Installing Gears and Locker!!!!!

Anyone know a person that will set the rear end up around North Alabama, Atlanta area, or Southern Tennessee?
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
see ten
WTB this ad

Re: Installing Gears and Locker!!!!!

I had Coosa Valley Technical College (Rome GA) set mine up in a 66 4x4 I used to have. All it cost me was the parts. The students need the work for a project grade. I don't have the contact info for the school but I would think it would not be that hard to get. My brother was attending the college and took mine in for the swap. I would think as long as you could contact the instructor they could get you right in.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

If that doesn't work there's a 4X4 shop on hiway 41 in Marrietta that does them for 4X4's.Since they probably do quite a few they should be good.I don't know the pricing but it is probably cheaper to get it done right(students have to they are graded)than to buyt the parts and get it done over.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
uncle

I think Southern Gear is in that area also, but I don't know what they charge.
uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
jkade

Reckon the local trade school might do it? I know the instructor but I never thought about asking them.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
see ten
WTB this ad

I would say it's worth asking! The cheapest I've priced it around here is about $200 labor.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #7
jkade

No luck at the trade school.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #8
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkade View Post
No luck at the trade school.
What about the High Schools? Ours here have a Auto program
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
jkade

That is what I was talking about. I called the instructor and he said they didn't do it. The gm dealership will do it but I would rather take the rear end out and take it up there so they can work on it when they aren't doing anything else so I won't be charged for them having the blazer in the shop. i may go this route.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #10
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

oic, I thought you meant u checked at a Votech college, my bad
Tow Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #11
jamon8

dont take the rear out

the only extra work the mech has to do is drive your truck to the lift and take the rear wheels off

it is actually eaisier to do a diff in the truck

you dont pay for the blazer bieng in the shop you pay the labor time and materials.

I was an assistant service manager at a caddilac dealership for a short period of time

Last edited by jamon8; 10-04-2006 at 10:18 AM.
jamon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #12
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamon8 View Post
dont take the rear out

the only extra work the mech has to do is drive your truck to the lift and take the rear wheels off

it is actually eaisier to do a diff in the truck

you dont pay for the blazer bieng in the shop you pay the labor time and materials.

I was an assistant service manager at a caddilac dealership for a short period of time
They told me if I took it out that they would work on it in their spare time and it would only cost what the book said.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:54 AM   #13
jamon8

sounds like a scam to me because you should only have to pay what the book says anyway
jamon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #14
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 View Post
What about the High Schools? Ours here have a Auto program
AFTER RAISING THREE BOYS.... I DON'T THINK I'D LET A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT WORK ON ANY PART OF MY TRUCK. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:59 PM   #15
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamon8 View Post
sounds like a scam to me because you should only have to pay what the book says anyway
The book says it takes four hours but if it takes longer I have to pay the difference. Is that not how it is supposed to be? Should I only have to pay what the book says?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #16
Psycho71

Quote:
The book says it takes four hours but if it takes longer I have to pay the difference. Is that not how it is supposed to be? Should I only have to pay what the book says?
They should do it for what the book say's, that's why they use book pricing. If their tech's can't do it in less time than the book says, they need real tech's. Or they should just charge by the hour. I do Htg. & A/C. We flat rate bill (book price) every service item we do. And I can beat the hell out of the guy that wrote that book. A job they estimate will take two hours generally takes me one hour or less. That's why my boss flat rate bills everything. We don't/won't consider anyone a tech unless they can keep up with the book. Until then, they are a helper not a tech.

Personally, I'd do it myself before I'd let a student (of any age) do it. That way if it broke later, I could only be mad at myself. But that's me.

Are there no speed shops in that area? Not a tuner shop, a speed shop. They are getting harder to find nowdays. But if found, they should be able to slam it right there. For a fee of course.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #17
jkade

[QUOTE=Psycho71;1820826]They should do it for what the book say's, that's why they use book pricing. If their tech's can't do it in less time than the book says, they need real tech's. Or they should just charge by the hour. I do Htg. & A/C. We flat rate bill (book price) every service item we do. And I can beat the hell out of the guy that wrote that book. A job they estimate will take two hours generally takes me one hour or less. That's why my boss flat rate bills everything. We don't/won't consider anyone a tech unless they can keep up with the book. Until then, they are a helper not a tech.

Personally, I'd do it myself before I'd let a student (of any age) do it. That way if it broke later, I could only be mad at myself. But that's me.

Are there no speed shops in that area? Not a tuner shop, a speed shop. They are getting harder to find nowdays. But if found, they should be able to slam it right there. For a fee of course.

Jay[/QUOTE
There are no speed shops around here. They guy at the chevrolet dealership told me that if it took 4 or 8 hours that is what I would have to pay. Sounds like bull sh.t to me.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #18
BarryB

Hey Jkade, They are not that hard to do, But sure can be intimadating. I have done a couple of these swaps no problem. I live in Northeast Tn so I am not much help to do it. All you really would need is a good dial indicator magnetic base . I picked mine up at the Harbour freight. I'll tell you what I did, before I did my first one. I asked a couple of guys about it and they showed how. I could explain it but my reply would be REALLY long.
As for the 4 hour bit shouldn't take that long. I beleive I had mine out and back in about 2. Now thats is how long it took me. Might take somebody else longer.
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:59 PM   #19
Psycho71

I agree w/BarryB. If the thought of doing it doesn't make you queezy, do it yourself. Like he said, the only special tool you'll need is a mag base and dial indicator. A set of calipers does come in handy too though. Just for checking shim thicknesses and such.

I did my gears, the first I'd ever even seen setup. It took me less than four hours, but my rear end was out of the truck. The next one wouldn't take me that long either. I quadruple checked everything I did. Richmond's website has a great set of instructions, w/illustrations of what the wear pattern should, and shouldn't, look like.

It certainly isn't a job just anyone should attempt. It took me a few days before I caught myself in the right mood to do mine. But it really isn't that hard to do. And extremely gratifying when you get done. I have hauled the boat to the lake many times and drove a few thousand miles since my attempt. Everything still works/sounds great.

Hope you get yours figured out quickly. If I were closer, I'd love to help. But I'll bet you get alot of people tell ya that,lol.

Jay

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:48 PM   #20
jkade

I ended up and installed them myself today and it only took about 2 hours with the rearend out of the blazer. I am glad I saved the $250.00. I got the backlash, preload, and the pattern all the way it is supposed to be. Thanks for all the advise. How much difference am I going to see from the 3:08 to the 3:73's?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:11 PM   #21
john
member #16

About three miles per gallon. J/K no idea.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:35 AM   #22
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
I ended up and installed them myself today and it only took about 2 hours with the rearend out of the blazer. I am glad I saved the $250.00. I got the backlash, preload, and the pattern all the way it is supposed to be. Thanks for all the advise. How much difference am I going to see from the 3:08 to the 3:73's?
Go tell theChevy dealer it took two hours and suggest they lower their rates. They`ll prolly want to hire you.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote