The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2002, 09:19 PM   #1
406cid70Chevy

Battery woes...

Ok, I have a really dumb question here. The battery in my truck, is positioned so that the positive(+) post is closer to the passenger's side and the negative(-) post is on the driver's side. What I am really worried about is that the POSITIVE battery cable has and extra(small) wire leading out from it which connects to the passenger side of the fender on a little plastic black box, the terminal slips over a bolt and connects there along with some other terminals. Is that right, or should the NEGATIVE terminal be leading to that little black box???
406cid70Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:22 PM   #2
cableguy0

sounds like urs is right. the negative should go to the right side head for ground. the positive should be closest to the fender then run down to the starter and to that little black box
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:31 PM   #3
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

yeah your'e right .the pos.cbl. should have a small jumper wire coming off it to the "black box" you mentioned. the neg.cbl. should go straight to the pass.side head to be grounded.
BUXMAN66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 10:58 PM   #4
406cid70Chevy

Thanks for clearing that up guys. My neg. battery cable is grounded to the block near the fuel pump, I'm assuming that's ok.

I've ran into some more questions though. The ground wire for the alternator is grounded near the voltage regulator just on the grille I guess. Would it be better to ground that wire to the block to insure it's grounded? Also, besides the pos. battery cable being hooked up to the starter theres only one other wire hooked up to it, which leads into the cab, I assume it's for the ignition. Should anything else be hooked up to the starter?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-18-2002, 07:45 AM   #5
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

If all of the ground straps are in place, an extra ground wire for the altenator/regulator should not be needed. On the 70, you should have two ground straps from the engine to the fire wall, the cab should be grounded to the frame, and the alternator, which is bolted, (grounded) to the engine has a ground wire going to the regulator. There may be a couple of more grounds in
place, like the fender liner to the frame.

Factory grounding was not to bad, but some gets lost over the years.

On the starter, there should be three wires, the positive cable, a large purple wire, to the inside post on the solenoid, and a small
yellow wire to the outside post of the solenoid, (12 volt source, for the coil when cranking) on a stock ignition setup. If the truck is converted to HEI, then the yellow wire is not needed.

Here is an url for wiring diagrams:

www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070/wiringdias.html

Jim

Last edited by JimKshortstep4x4; 11-18-2002 at 07:53 AM.
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 02:50 PM   #6
406cid70Chevy

Thanks Jim, everything seems right then, it is converted to HEI. I guess I Just need to check all the ground straps for good connections then. Thanks again.