The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Zonaman

Question E-brake cable short

I recently purchased a front e-brake cable from a reputable supplier. When installing it I noted that it was considerably shorter than the original. If anyone has done this you may have noted that the front cable comes out of the firewall, clips to the outside of the fender well in the engine compartment, goes down to the frame, clips there and then, where the shielding meets the spring (on the cable end), there's one of those one way clips that passes it through the frame to the center cable. This is how the shop manual shows it too.

On the replacment cable, the shielded portion is almost a foot shorter than the original. It can be routed but you neeed to go directly down from the firewall to the frame, skipping the origianl route that clips it to the fender well. It's kind of a tight turn, but it gets there. There was only one size front cable in the catalog. It's a Bendix and I'm assuming they're probably the only folks manufacturing these.

The folks I bought it from had not heard my question over the difference in length. They said as long as it gets there, it ought to work. Before I installl this (it's kind of a pain to remove) has anyone experienced this and should it operate OK even with the shorter cable and sharper curves?

Thanks.

Last edited by Zonaman; 02-23-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
woodridge

Re: E-brake cable short

Here are the specs from NAPA, hope it helps.

UP
Part Number 92434
Description Parking Brake Cable - Front
Attribute Conduit Length:43 3/8",Length:71 7/8"
Comment w/ 115" Wheelbase w/ 127" Wheelbase Except THM-400 A/Trans
Per Car 1
Warranty Limited Lifetime
woodridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Sounds like they need it returned.You should not be required to re-route to make work and I`d be insulted that they even considered that as an option.It`s as if someone made a mistake,ya think?Seems pretty obvious.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Sounds like they need it returned.You should not be required to re-route to make work and I`d be insulted that they even considered that as an option.It`s as if someone made a mistake,ya think?Seems pretty obvious.
These people will take it back. I'm just a little surpised that they hadn't had this come up before seeing as how they only offer one size front cable. Maybe I've got a bum cable. I think I'm going to see if I can round up the part from NAPA and see if it matches. If it does I'll send this one back.

Would still like to know if anyone's installed the short one.

Thanks.

Last edited by Zonaman; 02-23-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I think an assembler just measured wrong.I`ve dealt with In-line Tube and it`s all hand-assembled,custom or straight of the oem charts.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote