The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #26
Big Block
Big Block

Re: Im Pissed Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaite72lnghrn View Post
First things first. Go to GM dealer and get a FLEXPLATE (2 sizes12 3/4";153 tooth and 14":168 tooth) for the 454 with dual bolt pattern(10 3/4" and 11 1/2" torque converter). Next get rid of the 350 motor mounts and get towers and mounts for a big block. Then get a starter for a Big Block.
As it sits in the engine compartment how close to the firewall is the engine now?
Make sure of the year the engine is when you get your FLEXPLATE as the 454 around early '90's were mark 4 and gen 5/6 and the balance is different.
Very sound advise, I agree.
Big Block is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #27
combustion

Quote:
First things first. Go to GM dealer and get a FLEXPLATE (2 sizes12 3/4";153 tooth and 14":168 tooth) for the 454 with dual bolt pattern(10 3/4" and 11 1/2" torque converter). Next get rid of the 350 motor mounts and get towers and mounts for a big block. Then get a starter for a Big Block.
As it sits in the engine compartment how close to the firewall is the engine now?
Make sure of the year the engine is when you get your FLEXPLATE as the 454 around early '90's were mark 4 and gen 5/6 and the balance is different.
ok. thanx. so in a nut shell i need to get

153 tooth flexplate for the bbc (its a 1994 btw)
bbc mounts w/ towers

but if i get a 153 tooth flexplate , wont the sbc starter fit? because it does bolt in, its just that when it had the bigger 454 flexplate it was not letting it fit. now my question is like i sad, can i use my stock starter when i get the 153 tooth flx plate?

thanx everyone. it is so much more clear now!! i owe you all a big one! if i see you i will buy you taco bell. =)

Last edited by combustion; 02-25-2007 at 04:17 PM.
combustion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #28
dwaite72lnghrn

The small flexplate was used mostly on cars for ground clearance. The larger flexplate was mostly on trucks. If the starter is brand new then go for a new 153 tooth flexplate. If it is not new I would keep the 168 tooth and get a new high torque starter for a little more than a new 153 tooth flexplate would cost. A flexplate new is around $150 list no discount and a high torque starters start at about 170 and up to 300. A cheap new standard BBC chevy 168tooth starter is about 85 bucks.
The towers will have to come out of a bone yard or in the parts for sale section.
And is that a taco bell franchise or just a burrito?? joking.

Also when you take the engine off your trans besure to change the trans seal on the input shaft or it will start leaking like a sive.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne

Last edited by dwaite72lnghrn; 02-25-2007 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added text
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:18 PM   #29
combustion

Quote:
The small flexplate was used mostly on cars for ground clearance. The larger flexplate was mostly on trucks. If the starter is brand new then go for a new 153 tooth flexplate. If it is not new I would keep the 168 tooth and get a new high torque starter for a little more than a new 153 tooth flexplate would cost. A flexplate new is around $150 list no discount and a high torque starters start at about 170 and up to 300. A cheap new standard BBC chevy 168tooth starter is about 85 bucks.
The towers will have to come out of a bone yard or in the parts for sale section.
And is that a taco bell franchise or just a burrito?? joking.

Also when you take the engine off your trans besure to change the trans seal on the input shaft or it will start leaking like a sive.

but then if i kep the big flexplate i will need to get a differet torque converter, wich would draw mw more money. but il just go with the flexplate. but do you know what car came with a 153 tooth flex plate for a bbc? that way itmight be cheaper to get it for that model of car instead of a custom one.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:45 AM   #30
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I want to say my pease but longhorn man said it Best place to buy the big block engine Brakets are

www.truckandcarshop.com

and you might want to get the factory big block engine harness it will make life so much easyer and make life easyer on how your truck runs the small block harness wont fit and why cut and streach the wire harness to gather the harness is $80.00 the big block motor mounts brackets are 156.00 for a new set and radiator shroud is $124.00 and the you need a big block starter
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:30 AM   #31
combustion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
I want to say my pease but longhorn man said it Best place to buy the big block engine Brakets are

www.truckandcarshop.com

and you might want to get the factory big block engine harness it will make life so much easyer and make life easyer on how your truck runs the small block harness wont fit and why cut and streach the wire harness to gather the harness is $80.00 the big block motor mounts brackets are 156.00 for a new set and radiator shroud is $124.00 and the you need a big block starter
the factory harnes im going to midify. i work with honda obd systems doing swaps, and trust me ther are a lot more complicated than these trucks. im just new to chevy and went ahaed and jumped to a swap malinformed. im gonna rewire everything in the truck because insulation on those wires are crap. its only like 2 sensors and the mechanical oil preasssure line.

the sbc starter will fit with the 153 tooth flywheel ive proven. in fact the starter is in it right now