The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
rcs72

4-Link?

Does the diagonal bar on this 4-link mean you don't need a panhard bar? Is there an advantage to this over a panhard bar?
Attached Images

rcs72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 4-Link?

yes to no pan hard bar. the diagonal is the pan hard.

you would be able to travel the suspension further with this one versus a pan hard crossing over the upper bar.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
rcs72

If I mount the 4-link on outside of frame I wouldn't be able to use this design correct? I would have to use a panhard bar.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Coronas56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs72 View Post
If I mount the 4-link on outside of frame I wouldn't be able to use this design correct? I would have to use a panhard bar.
No, You might have to get a longer diagonal track bar, but it can be used if you moved the 4 link on the outside of your frame.
Coronas56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:47 AM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I have to disagree if you use the bars out side the rail the diagonal bar would hit the frame. You would need a pan hard bar for outside
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:11 AM   #6
samcrf450

TCI makes the track bar that mounts up when you put the 4 links on the outside. That is what I am going to run due to the fact that I am using a 10 bolt. The panhards I have seen normally mount to a bolt on the front of the 9" so that is out. Here is a pic of a local rod shop that has one mounted like this. The pic is not that clear but I have seen the truck in person. It is a s10 rear end. Also CPP has an installation article with the track bar and the mounts on the outside of the frame. Here is the site.
http://www.classicperform.com/tech_a.../TCI-Tech1.htm

It shows that the track bar mounts to the bottom of the brackets under the drive shaft I believe. So there is no clearance issues with the frame or the drive shaft.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
the professor

Quote:
Does the diagonal bar on this 4-link mean you don't need a panhard bar? Is there an advantage to this over a panhard bar?
Who makes this set up
the professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
rcs72

The one I have is a Scott's Hot Rods. I wish I had went with another brand though. The directions suck! The directions are for there older kit that installed on the outside of the frame. The new kit has shorter bars & is designed for installing on inside of frame. When I called they said that it's simple to install on the outside, but since I've never installed one before I'm not to happy that I'm going to have to figure out my measurements for the front brackets. I thought I was buying a kit with directions specifically for my truck. I can go online and find instructions for No Limit, Heidt's, TCI, etc, but can't get instructions from Scott's. I wish I had found this site before I bought my front IFS & 4-Link from Scott's. Nothing but headaches!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
Coronas56

Quote:
The one I have is a Scott's Hot Rods. I wish I had went with another brand though. The directions suck! The directions are for there older kit that installed on the outside of the frame. The new kit has shorter bars & is designed for installing on inside of frame. When I called they said that it's simple to install on the outside, but since I've never installed one before I'm not to happy that I'm going to have to figure out my measurements for the front brackets. I thought I was buying a kit with directions specifically for my truck. I can go online and find instructions for No Limit, Heidt's, TCI, etc, but can't get instructions from Scott's. I wish I had found this site before I bought my front IFS & 4-Link from Scott's. Nothing but headaches!!!
Total Cost Involved makes the 4 link with Diagonal track bar which mounts to the outside of frame rails, I picked mine up from JPL out of Pennsylvania, for 850.00 shipped........Like the one pictured
Coronas56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:11 PM   #10
cajundragger

I'd never run a diagonal on the street...
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:19 PM   #11
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundragger View Post
I'd never run a diagonal on the street...
I was thinking the same thing. I had read that it was good ( the diagonal) for straight line but did not stand up as well as a panhard or watts link for cornering and street use.

Brian ..

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:30 PM   #12
cajundragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by entourageguy View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I had read that it was good ( the diagonal) for straight line but did not stand up as well as a panhard or watts link for cornering and street use.

Brian ..
yup
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote