The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
skokie

Putting engine back in. Got questions.

Ok the 350 has a fresh coat of engine paint on it and I will be done with the firewall tonight so the time is almost here to put the motor back in. When I took out the engine I slid the converter back about 1/4 inch to separate the two. Is there anything special I need to make sure of when I hook it back up to the flywheel?

Also any suggestions on wiggling that 350 back in? Whats the best way for 1 person to do this?

Thanks Much..

And before someone hits me with the this thread is worthless without pics reply I will have some later

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Putting engine back in. Got questions.

its pretty straight forward just make sure the converter doesnt slide forward at all when and become unseated.put a jack under the tranny so you can move the trans around a bit easily. it will help a ton in getting everything lined up to go back together
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
gouldie

use lube on the shaft where the tranny and the engine meet. we put my friends engine back in sunday night and did not do this, took us a long time to get the tranny bolted competly to the engine. there was about a gap between the 2 that the stock bolts could not reach. we just took some longer bolts and washers then worked our way around tightening and adding washers until it slid into place.

this was on a manual transmission and was out first time doing it, not sure if all will apply to the automatic tranny

air ride, paint and big block coming within the next 23 years

2001 mustang gt for going fast
gouldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #4
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Skokie- did you roll your truck outside to power wash or anything? I have my engine out and the tyranny is still in the truck (resting on a jack). I want to be able to roll it out and power wash and prep for paint like you did. How did you do it??
Thanks,
Dean
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:04 AM   #5
skokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
Skokie- did you roll your truck outside to power wash or anything? I have my engine out and the tyranny is still in the truck (resting on a jack). I want to be able to roll it out and power wash and prep for paint like you did. How did you do it??
Thanks,
Dean

Dean

The truck is in the driveway. I was hoping to get out tonight to get it power washed but I had to work instead. Looks like I will be doing that tomorrow.

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #6
bhunt31
krazy hillbilly from Kentucky

whenever I put engines back in with an automatic tranny, I pull the crossmember off the truck and drop the tranny out of the way, then drop the engine in, jack the back end of the engine up with a bottle jack, then with the floor jack slide the transmission up to the engine and put a couple bolts in the bellhousing to hold it in place, put the crossmember back on and bolt the tailshaft mount back up and finish out the bellhousing bolts and bolt the converter back up. I know it sounds like a lot to do, but I've found out it's much easier and less stressful to do it this way and it usually takes less time cuz you don't have to strong-arm anything to get it to go together.
"Life, Liberty, and Ford's Pursuit of Chevy taillights"
You say "Obsessed with my trucks" like it's a bad thing
bhunt31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:17 AM   #7
rcbildr

Take your time and go slow....double check for clearance on everything. I've done 3 eingines (two 6.2L diesels, and a 350) by myself and the only hang up was and exhaust manifold stud getting hung up in the exhaust tube...had to lift the engine out a little bit to correct that. A big pry-bar really helps too.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:29 PM   #8
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Do I need to drop my tranny to roll it out of the garage?
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
rcbildr

I would. The tranny only has one support which only supports the back part. I used a strap to support the front of the tranny and then disconected the driveshaft on one of my Suburbans.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote