The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
69ChevyLB

Question engine start after storage

Getting ready to start engine after truck has been in outside storage for over 1 1/2 yrs. Weather is warming up and want to get started on rust repair on cab & bed. Plan on pulling plugs and squirting some oil in each cylinder. How long should I let it set before priming and starting? Anything else I need to do? Didn't drain gas from carb but hoping this won't be problem.

It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a psycho all your life.
69ChevyLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
WorkinLonghorn

Re: engine start after storage

Although I'm not an expert on this,I have started a few long storage vehicles and I would say that the gas in the carb IS NOT going to be good.But your main concern would be dry bearings and cylinder walls. If it was me I would at the least remove all the spark plugs and shoot some engine oil in each hole.Then I would DEFINATELY remove the distributor and using an old distrib.rig up a drill to turn the oil pump drive (clockwise) to get fresh oil to the bearings BEFORE you start cranking the engine.Then crank over the engine with the plugs still removed to get some oil going in the cylinders.Reinstall the distib. Get that "gasoline" which is now probably like turpentine out of the tank,lines and carb. Also,if it was me,I'd change the oil and filter before start-up. I'm sure I missed something,let's hear from some others too.
OOps.reinstall the distrib BEFORE cranking-sorry
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.

Last edited by WorkinLonghorn; 03-03-2007 at 09:06 PM.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

A year and a half shouldn't be that big of a deal. Disconnect the coil and crank for a couple seconds to build some oil pressure ( new oil of course ) and then reconnect and pour some gas in carb and fire it up. There is probably gas in the carb but from my experience there won't be much if any at all really.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:39 PM   #4
cdowns

i like to put marvel mystery oil and or wd-40 into the cylinders and let set for a couple of days then slowly turn the engine over by hand with a breaker bar// then spin it with the starter coil wire unhooked //also change fuel filter then just fire it up//no need to pull the distributor for such a short time storage

it's always nice to have a fire extinguisher handy an a turned on garden hose nearby aint a bad idea either
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
WorkinLonghorn

Well,I mentioned the dry bearings because I started this lady's car that had been in the Mohave for a couple years and you should have heard the horrible racket those rods made! And it lasted for a few excruciating full seconds until some old oil came to the rescue.I was pretty embarrassed,thinking I had really screwed up. If it was mine and I REALLY wanted to prevent excess wear and possible damage I'd pre-oil it.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:54 AM   #6
pritch

Like cddowns said-you can't go wrong with a couple squirts of marvel mystry oil in the cyls.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
69ChevyLB

Thanks for the info guys. Snowing here today but supposed to warm up next weekend. Anxious to get started working on it.

It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a psycho all your life.
69ChevyLB is offline   Reply With Quote