The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2007, 02:32 AM   #1
Shaun K
Ochre Club?

Introduction and a couple of questions

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking for a few weeks and made the occasional post, so I guess I should introduce myself. I just bought my '71 Cheyenne LWB Fleet 2 weeks ago, it's my first Chevy truck, but I've wanted one of these for years, especially in this color combo. I'm kind of a sucker for the mustard/ochre color...maybe a Blazer in this color will be next?

(Click pics for bigger images)

First projects this weekend were to give the 350 a bit of a tuneup, replace some bulbs and lenses, and get a Grant Classic steering wheel in there (stock one was just too big even with the seat all the way back). Also have some LED taillights coming from Musclerodz next week, then after that it's time for a new rear bumper and hidden hitch.

I have a couple questions about the steering column. When I installed the new wheel, I had to reuse the old turn signal cam, but now the left signal stays on all the time. Should I just replace the cam, or did I get the positioning wrong?

Also, I noticed the upper carrier bearing was dry and old, and of course there was some play. I greased it for now, but I guess I should have replaced it. Is it an easy job, or do I need any special equipment to do it?

Thanks everyone
Shaun K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:49 AM   #2
jimmydean

Re: Introduction and a couple of questions

Shaun, welcome to the board! I have a new cam I can give you if you need it, but it sounds like it might just not me in there right if one side is working correctly.

I've seen your truck at work for the last week or so and it's very nice! What department do you work in? I've only been there since January, so I don't know too many people. I'm in the SOLTI group and sit opposite of Fred. I know you've seen my ghetto rat rod in the parking lot. It looks a lot different than my avatar now.

Dave.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:13 AM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi! Talk about a member local to you.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:27 AM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Welcome to the board and I agree with jimmydean, sounds like the came is probably not sitting in there correctly.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Shaun K
Ochre Club?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Shaun, welcome to the board! I have a new cam I can give you if you need it, but it sounds like it might just not me in there right if one side is working correctly.

I've seen your truck at work for the last week or so and it's very nice! What department do you work in? I've only been there since January, so I don't know too many people. I'm in the SOLTI group and sit opposite of Fred. I know you've seen my ghetto rat rod in the parking lot. It looks a lot different than my avatar now.

Dave.
Hey Dave, yeah I've been seeing your truck in the parking lot, hell I park next to you most of the time. It was probably part of the impetus to go buy one after I sold my F250. I asked Ruben who owned it, he told me it was someone in your group but he didn't know who exactly. I work in the OSS group, but mostly I'm in the lab breaking hardware.

I was going to order a new cam and upper bearing today anyway, but thanks for the offer. Now I know where to go when I need spare parts...down the hall .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Welcome to the board and I agree with jimmydean, sounds like the came is probably not sitting in there correctly.
That sounds like the problem, but the cam can only go in one way with the Grant. I had to rotate it about 90 degrees clockwise from the stock location to get it to fit in the hub.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
Shaun K
Ochre Club?

Hate to bump my own post, but does anyone know how involved a job it is to replace both bearings on the column? I figure since I'm in there I might as well replace those as well as the turn signal cam. Anything else I should replace while the wheel is off?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
killer71

welcome! that sure is a pretty truck--enjoy!
killer71 is offline   Reply With Quote