The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
Wheel Question

Man, there's alot of dust on my account....anyway.

I have a 70 LWB with a 4/6 static drop. I want to put 17's on her. I want to put Torq Thrust II grey centers and I was wondering how to determine the backspacing I need? I have chrome reverses on there now and they rub on the fenderlips when I hit a mild bump at speed. I am going to start driving this truck daily and want to have less to worry about.

Thanks
Darryl
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Wheel Question

I have always found it easiest to figure back-spacing based on a 'known' measurement: the current wheel.

You say "they rub on the fenderlips when I hit a mild bump at speed" so that tells you the BSing needs to be more towards the frame. Measure the current BSing & add the amount you think it needs to be moved to keep it from rubbing.

With a 4/6 drop, typical BS is from 4" up to 5.25" w/a 8" wheel up front. My trucks run more BS to avoid the problem you're describing. It really depends on your tastes..... but 4.75~5" should work well & not buzz the fender lip @ all depending on your overall tire height.

Out back the BSing depends on the body style. Fleets & stepsides have different amounts of space w/the fleet allowing more room for a larger footprint. Both my trucks are fleets & they have wider wheels than the fronts so that's another thing to consider. My 68 would prob allow up to about 4.5"BS w/o buzzing the inner wheel wells so that's prob about the max on yours too (68's & 70's have the same width 12bolt unless yours has a later 71/72 rear end which is slightly wider).

I looked @ some ARE's & was thinking about 17's & this is what I was planning.....
Front: 17x8; 5" BS & 225/55's est. 26.75 tire height
Rears: 17x9.5 4.5" BS & 275/50's est. 27.8 tire height
For the record.... this would be stuffing those stock rear fleetside fenderwells fairly tight @ my 7~8" of drop. I also have trimmed my front a-arms to keep the wheel lip from rubbing @ full lock turns.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
2500HD

See signature.
Now ZZ454/4L80E/Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4/3:73 Eaton Posi
PS PB and cold factory air
Early Classic 4.5/6
Front 20X8.5 Riddler 4.75 inch bs Pirelli 255/40/20
Rear 20X10 Riddler 5.5 inch bs Toyo 295/40/40
Rear end is original wide 6 lug converted to 5 lug
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
Suicide-D

Thanks,

I think anything that tucks inside the fender will be better. Those reverses stick out past the fender lip about an inch. I don't think the grey centers come in our bolt pattern. I will probably just get the polished II's. I do have a 72 rearend and disk conversion up front. They rub when I go over a bump and the truck comes back down.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
Captain Knievel

After you get your Torq Thrusts on, can you post a pic or PM me? That is the exact same wheel with the exact same lowering on the exact same truck I am hoping for. Hmmm ... great minds must think alike.
Captain Knievel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
Suicide-D

I got'em. (Front)17x8 4"BS 255/50/17 (rear)17x9.5 5.5"BS 275/55/17. Discount couldn't get the rears on because my bed was cocked to one side so I had to fix that when I got home. I also had to adjust my track bar.

on the rear, I have about 1/2" on the inside between the tire and the inner wheel well. Is that enough? Those are some pretty wide tires. I couldn't even imagine an 11" wheel in there...

I went the cheap route and ordered their stock BS on the front 4.5 to 4.75 probably would've been perfect. I didnt want to wait on a custom wheel either. I will probably massage the fender if it rubs. I think 5" on a 17 would be into the spindle/tie rod.

I'll post up some pictures tonight. it was too dark when I got them on finally.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
Suicide-D

Pictures

Old 03-08-2007, 01:05 AM   #8
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

looks like the fronts are gonna shred tire to me. the rears look like they will clear, but the wheel well might need to be rolled to be safe.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
Suicide-D

Yeah the fronts may buzz a little on a real hard bump. I know where to take it slow (thanks to the reverses) on my normal routes. I plan on swapping the front clip to 67-68 here very shortly and will roll the lips for my piece of mind.