The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #26
mtndewmaniac66
Do the Dew!

Re: i'm burned out anyone else going through the same problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsnubby View Post
I'm going through the same thing right now, not with a truck, but with my jeep. I put a ton of time and money into the thing, wrecked it, bought another jeep, and started switching parts. I finally had it so i could get back to offroading when some pos stole it and stripped it. I was totally disgusted with the whole thing. I parked it in the back yard and decided to give it a break for awhile. That was a couple weeks before Christmas. I'm starting to get my motovation back.

Some times you just need to walk away for awhile.
We seem to have similar interests. I almost got burned out with both my Chevy and my Jeep. Fortunately I have refocused and managed to get the BOTH of them back on the road. The Chevy, I love to drive it to see how many people I could pass. I love to putt-putt the jeep just to see how many people pass me! They're both fun to drive, and I wouldn't trade either of them in for anything. They BOTH need a power steering conversion, as well as a power brake and disc conversion, but the will power is strong. With proper budgeting, the projects will get done. It just takes time.
mtndewmaniac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #27
bryanw1968

That's awesome. I've done a similar amount of work but in a longer time frame. And I did get burned out. My solution. Get another project!!

Technically it's a "daily driver" but no one(your wife or girlfriend if you have one) needs to know any different. AND, I always get the green light to work on the "daily driver" because I have to be able to make it to work right??

I do try to keep it fairly stock so I can actually make it to work and back.
bryanw1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #28
corn

Ive been going through the same exact thing. The only thing I have found that makes me be able to get anywhere is to make a list of everything you want done. Hang in where you work on your truck. Pick something off the list & dont work on anything else until that is done & you can check if off. It helps me soooooooooooooooo much. You are really a lot closer than most of us. Dont give up on it...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #29
roj2323

thanks for the encouragment guys. i guess the major hold up is the exhaust. i've called tons of shops and no one around here is willing to do it because they don't have bend charts. i've told them that's fine because it really needs to be custom done anyway and they just say no or i don't have time. is it allyawys this hard to give someone money? i want to just put a system on myself since i know how, but i don't have a bender to do it. uggghhhh.
ondrew
roj2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #30
larry may

Sell it, then buy one already done .

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:39 PM   #31
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

I agree with the "take a break" crowd.But.. Here's something I tried. Throw a small party for friends and have them help and motivate you thrugh a couple jobs.
A couple steaks is a small price to pay for one buddy wiring up a radio while another helps you under the hood. What's the use of having friends if you can't use "em once in a while?
GOOD LUCK
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #32
ThatOneBlue67
I survived Dead Man's Curve.

They sell exhaust kits in LMC magazine. You could shoot for one of those.

Then again, what does an exhaust system REALLY do? Moves the exhaust away from the motor.... and muffles it. But are there SPECIFICATIONS? I don't know, and frankly I don't care. Go out and get 2 cherry bombs, 48 inches of pipe, and 2 flanges and you're set. THat's custom all right, how many cars have pipes that dump off two feet from the motor?

Wel atleast one (mine). You get over the noise and CO poisoning

"The Hurricane"
1967 Chevrolet C10
350 Eight Cylinder, 700R4 BowtieOverdrive

Cherry Bomb... Disturbing the Peace Since 1968.

Last edited by ThatOneBlue67; 03-01-2007 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Numbers
ThatOneBlue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:08 AM   #33
70GMC396

I agree, step away, find something or someone to lift your spirits and forget about the truck for awhile. Everything will go so much faster when you get back to it. But I know exactly how you feel - mine is going to be a daily, but all 4 of our vehicles are in some state of disrepair. The only thing that kept me sane was telling myself (and the wife) that I am OK with not making these "things" a priority in our lives. Not sure how that is a positive. Anyway, good luck and hang in there. And like everyone else is saying, get some board members to come over when you're ready. I'd like to help, but oddly enough, I'm not quit ready to part with my nuts....
70GMC396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:28 AM   #34
seanu
Too many projects!!!

Lots of good imput here....

So I'll chime in with what I think as well...Like alot of others...step away from it for a little bit...do something else, or just do nothing at all for a while..and the urge will come back to finish it.

Trust me....My project has been sitting on the side of the house..I have gathered parts here and there..and haven't really been motivated to do anything on it....and then last month...it kind of hit me again...and now I'm looking for parts..and the wheels are rolling again...

Just don't do what so many others have done (myself included)...lost motivation for a time...sold what they were working on, cause at the time, it just wasnt doing "it" for them...and then later down the road kicked themselves in the a$$ for letting it go!
1963 Chevy Biscayne 4D Sedan
1971 Chevy C10 (now have 70 cab & frame)
1968 Chevy C10 (parts for the 70)
1991 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser (Chevy 355 motor)
1937 Pontiac 8 4D Touring Sedan (in pieces)
Jacksonville, Florida
seanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:19 AM   #35
wibilly

who ever finishes a project anyway? go get another one to drive. then tare it apart so you can't drive it, this will force you to finish this one, it goes on and on i'm up to seven now with the first still not finished all in a year and a half just enjoy it anyway you can
Old 03-08-2007, 10:12 AM   #36
turner15

What bothers me is the unexpected setbacks. I work with students and it is always 2 steps forward 1 back. I made a 5 year plan and I have about 15 months to go. This helped me when people say are you ever going to get it done? I tell them yes in 15 months.

I swtich from bodywork to mechanical and this help with burnout. I also switch over to the daily dirver where I am installing a cluch right now.

Lots of fun, take a break, hit an autoshow, junk yard or something that inspires you and then you will be back at it again.
turner15 is offline   Reply With Quote