The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
OJ1988
Just a car guy

03 20000miles bad tranny!

Just wanted to share.

My dad recently purchesed a truck to haul the race car with.

It is an 03 Chevy Silverado, 1500 4x4 with a 5.3L. Tow package, fully loaded. Auto. It has 21,000 miles on the odometer.

He has yet to tow with it. And the transmission went out of it. It will not shift out of first gear! OF course, since it is almost 4 years old it is out of warrenty. But it only has 21,000 miles on it!

He lives a few blocks from the chevy dealer, so he limped it there, and had the service manager drive it around the lot. He said, lets get you a new truck. They offered to take it on trade and apprasie with a new tranny (which they said they would take care of), well, since my dad has only had the truck for 2 months, they want cash and such too.

I will say I was impressed with what they were doing to get him into a new truck, but then again they were just trying to make a sale.

Anyway, bottom line, the tranny is junk! I got online and pulled up the TSB's for the truck and it was like 3 pages! There were at least 6 for the tranny alone!

He can't afford to get a new truck, so I printed the tsb's off, and told him to take them to the dealer, and tell them to take care of them.

We are both diehard chevy guys, but this really questions their quality as of late. Of course when they killed the camaro, I knew it wasn't the chevy I grew up with, but thats a different story.

SO, if anyone out there has one, you better check with the dealers, and make sure these service bulletins are taken care of before your stranded on the side of the road with a car trailer behind you!

On another site, someone said we should not tow with the truck, to that I said,

Well, if the tranny should not be towed with, they should not be putting it in a top of the line 1/2 ton truck with a tow package. Not only that, they should not put a button on the shifter that says "TOW"

I don't care, a new full size truck should be able to tow a trailer. The tranny should not go out at 20,000 miles!
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote