The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

last mile

ok on my project im at the very end. but im have a some troubles one in the transmission cooling lines what the best way to remove a fitting that wont come off. Its stuck and it slilly bent so the hose wont fit.

2nd problem is the rear of the drive shaft the u joint needs replacing but it appears to have something holding it in not the spring thing like normal it something else how do i remove it.

3rd is can i start an engine if the the transmission is connected but the torch convert is not leaving the flywheel to spin but not tranny. i turned the engine intell it almost started then stoped.

THINGS TO DO TO FINISH

tranny lines
drive shaft u joint and installation
torch convert bolts
install inspection cover
pure in fluids

after that im done
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: last mile

ok alot of the driveshafts that have original ujoints in them have like a plastic or wax holding them in place and you need to heat up the u joint and the driveshaft until this junk pops from the pinhole in there. If you use a propane torch it takes a few minutes make sure you get all the garbage out or it wont be able to be pressed out
When you say torch convert im assuming you mean torque converter that should be bolted to the flywheel before you try to start the motor its only three or four bolts so take the time to do it please so you dont damage the flywheel or torque converter
next probl;em how about a vise grip maybe a needle nose one that should afford you the bite you need to move the tranny line and get it out of there

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

yes i ment torque converter. well i bought three bolt for it from gm and they did not fit so im still looking for the right size. header bolts fit right but they are grade 3 not grade 8.

I did try to start the engine because the torque converter sits about pinky with from fly wheel so it like a bench test in a car with out a transmission.

ill try the vise grips didnt think of that thought plyers but with almost no room it was hard. Guess i want thinking stright with being made at it.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:33 AM   #4
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Venting, Yep transmission needs to be pulled that would be problem number 5 or 6 now and it rebuilt with b&m shift kit. So know i hav3e to spend 8 hours to pull the transmission spend a hour to fix the problem then spend 9 hours putting it back in. Reason for such a ling time have one jack and 3 jack stands only me no help as usual so if it fals on me i guess thats that.

I can either drop the tranny or pull motor and trans, id rather not pull motor and trans cause every things done on motor and i do mean every thing ready to fire and this happens. Dropping the tranny is hard by ur self and no lift i have a tranny jack but it for a lift (got it for free). Once again only me does this happen it really gets old. If the transmission want so important id take it out and take a jack hammer to it for being a ford. OK im done
Old 03-08-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I bought my torque converter bolts from the HELP! section at the local auto parts store. I don't know if they will fit yours, but it might be worth looking. Much cheaper than the dealer.

Slonaker
Old 03-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srubydo1986 View Post
Reason for such a ling time have one jack and 3 jack stands only me no help as usual

I know how you feel Scruby, I use to help all my friends all the time but when I needed help NO ONE was in sight. Now if anybody needs help they bring their problem to my place and I CHARGE their azz.

My project below is being performed by me ALONE and no one else, They can all kiss off.

It will feel great to stand back and look at the finished product and say "I done it ALL myself".

Good Luck and be careful under there !
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

thx i had the night to sleep it ove rso im not as angry as i was now more disapponted cause i should have checke it before i did all that work.

what ill fo is im going to put two jack stands under it to hold the truck up. the third jack stand will go under the engine to hold it up once the transmission is removed. and the jack its selp will lower the tranny.

I really hate doing it that way but if i do it the way i like and easier for a one man jobe i will have to un bolt the front radiatior support (cherry picker doesnt go high enought to clear) and the headers and the distributor (timming is done).

I might do it the longer way cause it just seems safer also i havent put anifreeze it the truck yet. It might take me longer but i know what im doing and its safe at a one man job.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

So the transmission has to come out. I'm trying to understand what is messed up on the transmission? Is it the cooler line or the brass fitting in the transmission that is messed up?

Far as using three jack stands. If you have two rims or rims with tires aired up. Jack up the front and put the tires under your front tires. Use two jack stands in the rear on the axle tubes. That is safer than not using anything in the front.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

well it the brass fitting in the transmision i got it out after removing the trans took only 2 hours kinda surprised by that.

i ended up find a third jack but i didnt lift the front instead i used to on the frame right behind the front tires, the other in the front crossmember under engine (safty jack incase one fails) and the forth one under engine to support the rear of it when transmission was removed.

i have it sitting next to me but ran out of polariods and i dont now if the scanner can scan parts. (only weighs an ountes at most).