The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2007, 02:57 AM   #1
jdwhitlo
I'm already on the flipside.

TO: "The Experts." Help needed.

So here’s the deal.
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1972 GMC LWB C20 custom for $600. The body is in pretty good condition and the engine and tranny have been rebuilt recently. The truck is definitely worth more than $600 . My current truck is a 72 Chevy K10 LWB. The body needs a lot of work and the engine and tranny will have to be rebuilt in the near future. So here is where you experts come in. Can I take the body off the GMC and put it on my 4x4 Chevy frame? I don’t like the front grill of the GMC's as well as I like the Chevy so would it be possible to put the Chevy grill on the GMC front clip? I would love to do a restoration on both trucks but I don’t have the money or space right now. However, I can’t pass up the deal on the GMC so I’m probably going to buy it. Would you guys just keep both trucks and SLOWLY restore both of them or do like I stated above? I know this is dependant on my situation and what I can achieve but your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by jdwhitlo; 03-09-2007 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Removed my attempt at sarcasm...
jdwhitlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:25 AM   #2
sameyrasmea72

Re: TO: "The Experts." Help needed.

You can change the entire body to the 4x4 with no problem, but you can't put a 72 chevy grill on a GMC front clip. The fenders and the core support are different.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:59 AM   #3
Rokcrln

What is said above is correct but you will be able to find someone who will want to trade you for those gmc fenders (same as 67-68 chevy) and your chevy core support should be fine as is. Next question is what are you going to do with the VIN tag on both trucks? If you own them both and have clean paper work you can just keep the GMC papers and use them but if you want it chevy then the grey area comes up. If you were to remove the VIN plate and swap them you would need to get the correct flower rivits to put it back in with but this may not be legal in your state

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:21 AM   #4
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

why not drive the GMC while you restore the Chevy?
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote