The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
WTB3

Flip Bed Wood?

Is it possible to flip the wood in a bed...Mine was not taken very good care of... but the underside looks to be in alot better condition... is it possible to flip the wood over?
Old 03-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Flip Bed Wood?

The grooves and such for the bed strips will only be on one side.To have it right you would have to recreate those on the side that is now the bottom.It could be done but you will have a lot of effort in it.It would probably be just as easy to do new.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
cfoust3

I don't know about flipping it over but, Why not just sand and refinish the top?
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some ****in' muscle.
-Wooderson
From the movie Dazed and Confused
cfoust3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
cdowns

if you remove the wood (making sure to mark where each piece goes) then the home stores like home depot and lowes have numerous products like bleach and water stain removal and stainable fillers and sanding down and refinishing the wood you can make it alot nicer . as long as its not rotted it can be given a facelift
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTB3 View Post
Is it possible to flip the wood in a bed...Mine was not taken very good care of... but the underside looks to be in alot better condition... is it possible to flip the wood over?
I think the one that can't be flipped is the one with the cutout for the wheel house, but not sure. If you have a table saw, you could make one cut to the right depth, and then come back with a router and finish it up ....jmho

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:16 PM   #6
slomotion
Old Duffer

For the effort of removing the old, turning it over, cleaning, sanding, refinishing, and cutting the required rabbits, I'd be inclined to use the old boards for patterns and start new.

My $.02

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
dwaite72lnghrn

A router with a beading bit would put the grove in pretty easy when you flip them and the sides where the wheel well is, just change left and right side. This would buy you some time. It would be worth it if it was oak or prime wood, If it was a pine then replace it.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #8
wibilly

by the time you cut the rabbits on side two there will be very little material left to hold the strips. when the strips are reinstalled this thin strip will split off unless you cut filler strips for the new bottom side. not worth the work. the last bed floor i did for a friend cost me less than $50 for red oak. if it was minei would have used black ash which at the time i could have gotten for $1.80 per bd/ft as opposed to $2.50 for the red oak. go to a sawmill for the lumber rather than a home center or retail lumber yard and you will be amazed at how little it will cost providing you can mill and finish the lumber yourself if i lived in your area i would use hickory because of it's abundance and it is so stable and hard as a rock

Last edited by wibilly; 03-08-2007 at 07:47 PM.
wibilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #9
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibilly View Post
by the time you cut the rabbits on side two there will be very little material left to hold the strips. when the strips are reinstalled this thin strip will split off unless you cut filler strips for the new bottom side. not worth the work. the last bed floor i did for a friend cost me less than $50 for red oak. if it was minei would have used black ash which at the time i could have gotten for $1.80 per bd/ft as opposed to $2.50 for the red oak. go to a sawmill for the lumber rather than a home center or retail lumber yard and you will be amazed at how little it will cost providing you can mill and finish the lumber yourself if i lived in your area i would use hickory because of it's abundance and it is so stable and hard as a rock
Good point!!!

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #10
WTB3

Its not rotted so I may try to do some extreme cleaning by sanding and so forth and if that doesnt work get some new wood
Old 03-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #11
cfoust3

Everyone here makes such good points, but I would like to make one suggestion. Instead of using something to refinish from a home center, spens a little extra money and buy marine varnish, you can find it at boating supply companies or online. It hold up so much better because it is intended for water use. It is worth the extra money per quart if you want the wood to last.
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some ****in' muscle.
-Wooderson
From the movie Dazed and Confused
cfoust3 is offline   Reply With Quote