The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2002, 06:31 PM   #1
sos1967c10

Question 67 c10 drum to disc

Hello all. I'm currently restoring a 67 c10. I'm at the point where the frame is bare and I want to upgrade my front drums to discs. I have talked to a few people and got 2 different stories.
1) I must purchase a front end from a 72 or older including crossmember, tie rods spindles etc. Bolt off my whole set up and bolt on the new set up.
2) I can just purchase spindles callipers new 6 lug discs and bolts those on, with new ball joints and hoses obviuosly.

I'm not sure which one is correct. I would prefer to just take off the spindles but is it necisary to change the controll arms and the crossmember as well? I fully intend to change all joints regardless but I only want to do it once.
If I have to change the whole front end will the free front end off of my buddies 83 1/2 ton bolt on or do I have to stick to 72 and later?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Shawn.
Old 11-22-2002, 07:29 PM   #2
basketcase

There are good disc brake kits out there now for the 6 lug if you want to stay that way. Not cheap. I think Early Classics makes one.

If you try to swap on the '71-'72 spindle to get 5 lugs and discs you have to change to '71-'72 ball joints and outer tie rod ends. You will also need stepped tie rod sleeves from Chevy Duty ($49./pr, talk to Craig) because the newer tie rods are larger diameter than the old drum brake ones.

Since all of that old stuff usually needs rebuilt anyway the easiest way to do this is change the crossmember with the suspension and steering intact. Then all the parts are the same year. You may get lucky and find one that is in pretty good shape. It is a straight bolt in and simple to do.

There are 5 bolts on both sides that hold the crossmember to the frame. Remove the brake hoses, shocks, idler arm and the center link from the pitman arm. Also the sway bar if equiped. Now with the frame supported lower the suspension down on a floor jack. Raise the new one back up and reverse the process and you are done.

The '73 to '87 crossmembers are basically the same. I heard someone say once that there were a couple holes that had to be drilled but I don't have any experience with the "newer" ones.

Tom
Old 11-22-2002, 07:34 PM   #3
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

You dont need to replace the complete front end, you can leave the stock crossmember & upper a arms in place, & replace everything else.......that free crossmember dont look too bad huh? You should be able to bolt the 83 crossmember complete, under you truck , by egging out a couple boltholes. maybe not the easiest way, but my guess the cheapest(im a bucks down trucker), so that way works for me! Good luck....crazy AL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 08:10 PM   #4
riden2low

you have pm
riden2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 08:19 PM   #5
sos1967c10

67 drum to disc.

Thanks for the speedy responce! Your help is much appreciated. With luck I should have discs on the next time I get into the garage! I just hope I can make the time next weekend.
Shawn.