The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2002, 09:39 AM   #1
BigRed

Need advice on possible trade

I have '75 SWB that I am trying to trade for a '68 LWB I found. It has a 350 (I think) with a 4 speed on the floor. It seems to be in fairly decent condition. I haven't seen the truck in person (will today probably) but I've seen pictures. The guy said there is a linkage adjustment problem with the 4-speed and that it won't go in gear all the way.

I want to know from you guys (the experts) what I should look for in this truck. What are some common things with these trucks that I need to watch for? Does the 4-speed sound like problems? This will be my daily driver for at least the next year, so I need it to run consistently.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-22-2002, 09:52 AM   #2
Huck

My experience with the 4 speed is that there is no adjustment external for the shifting. If it doesn't want to go into gear all the way, there is a mechanical problem internal to the gearbox which would more then likely require removal and repair. The stock 4speed is a heavy cast unit that is not fun to pull and handle. They are not expensive used but you take a chance on getting another problem on a used unit. If it was 3 speed, no big whoop. I would even prefer swaping automatics then 4speed gear boxes. My .02 ~~Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 02:55 PM   #3
BigRed

^^
Old 11-22-2002, 06:40 PM   #4
toms68cst

I'm far from an expert but that "linkage adjustment problem" he's talking about sounds more sinister than he's making it out to be. I'd be weary of the tranny. On the plus side you should be able to find a used either off this parts board or locally without too much trouble. I just removed the 4-speed in my 68 and it wasn't too bad once I got the floor pan up. (I haven't tried to put it back in though!) See the link below to the questions I had about the removal.

What really will cost you big bucks in the future on this truck is the condition of the body. If it's pretty straight and free of rust/bondo I'd say go for it. Be extra weary of rust on top of the roof along the front drip rail and rust on the fire wall. Cab corners and rockers can be repaired but check out the whole floor if you can. Also check the cab supports.

Check out this link;

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=29768

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 11:51 PM   #5
busterwivell

I just put a 700R4 in my 4 speed truck, if you need to replace the tranny, let me know, I've got a spare for yah.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 12:29 AM   #6
Hooter
My other Love

take the big iron non 1st synchro beast out and put in a munice, just my 2 cents

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote