The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
slepysal

gauge cluster ?

I am in the procces of making a new dash cluster, I will post a how I did it,later. But my question is what size screws hold the dash cluster in place ?
There was no screws holding it on now . Thanks
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:27 PM   #2
slepysal

Re: gauge cluster ?

oh well for what it is worth went down to Orchard and got some 1 " #10 sheet metal screws. Here are some pics of my low budget dash.
I was originaly going to have TAP plastic cut one out for me from some plexigalss , but they wanted to charge me $90.00 !!!
So in I decided to cut one out of hard 1/4 hardboard ( masonite, the stuff they make peg boards with, minus the holes).I made a template out of posterboard and used a jig saw, 2" and 3" hole saw, 1/2 drill ,and a dremil to cut it out and finished it with some chrome sign vynil.
The Gauges are Sunpro volt, oil and water temp, with Autometer spedo and a 0-30ohm gas gauge I taped into the original harness using jumper wires made with two 18 gauge wires with male spade conecters that go into the wire harness and female that attach to the gauge and . The rest of the gauges were installed as normal. I cut off the dash lights and attached them to the new gagues as well as the high beem indicater. All the gauges work great,except for my turn signal indicators, ( but thats another deal ) I m not sure how accurate the speedo is , I'll wait to pass a school with a "how fast you are going sign" to see how accurate it is. I planed on doing it in aluminum, and this was /is my prototype. It came out nice, and it was cheep and easy to make anyways this is a before and after:

Name:  old dash.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  new dash 1.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  61.3 KB

Name:  new dash 2.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  night.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  12.7 KB
Old 03-17-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
62 short step

looks good to me!

1965 c-10
86 chevy c/k 20
62 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:47 PM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Nice job! I wouldn't have thought to use masonite. In case you didn't know, if you still want to make one out of aluminun, you can cut aluminum with some good quality wood working blades, hole saws and bits. It sometimes helps to spray a little water on the area (spray bottle)to help with cooling, just don't get too carried away with it and zap yourself.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
slepysal

Thanks . If or when I make it in aluminun,I will make the high beam indicator smaller maybe use a led for it. Thanks for the tips Captinfab.
I got the idea to use masonite when I was replacing my sun visors, and saw that they were made of it.It was suposed to be just my mook up, but it worked ou better then I thought.
One tip if any one is going to make one, is to use the original plastic face piece that has mph oil, gas, temp on it as a template .
Old 03-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
six4flat

that looks great sal hey do you need the ashtray? if so jus call me up an stop on by
six4flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
slepysal

thanks Ted. hey man good eye!!! I have the ashtray it was out for paint !!
Thanks I'll see when I can swing on by