The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2007, 04:26 AM   #1
combustion

emissions time!

i need to get my truck legalized asap. the thing is that i swapped out the motor for a 454. its a 1970 custom 1o. i live i Arizona and my current set up is a gen 5 454 with Eddie mani and Eddie 750 carb hei dizzy with spark plug gap set to .050. how many degrees would i set my ignition to try and pass? should set it to like 4 degrees to make the chambers run hotter in the chamber? would i pas with that carburetor since i cant adjust squat with the Eddie carb. would this be an issue?
If it`s 3.73 ratio you will spint the wheel 100 times to the driveshaft`s 373 times.Or,if you`re lazy,you could just spin the wheel once and the driveshaft will spin 3.73 times.Or, 3 and 3/4 turns.And if you`re real lazy,I can sell you a tab for whatever ratio you want.
Or,you could read all the suggestions and try those.It`s been well explained,I think,already.
combustion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: emissions time!

Old stuff isn`t exempted?What an idiotic crime!These trucks weren`t even equipped with emmisions equipment.Oh yeah,a pcv valve.The standards were so low compaired to now...what`s the point.Just plain stupid legislative BS.What a joke.Over

Here`s what I do to pass "Late model" stuff that`s been tweeked out of emmissions standards.I run the tank low and the magic juice in there,racing fuel.She`ll burn REAL clean on that.Know any drag racers?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-17-2007 at 07:41 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
combustion

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Old stuff isn`t exempted?What an idiotic crime!These trucks weren`t even equipped with emmisions equipment.Oh yeah,a pcv valve.The standards were so low compaired to now...what`s the point.Just plain stupid legislative BS.What a joke.Over

Here`s what I do to pass "Late model" stuff that`s been tweeked out of emmissions standards.I run the tank low and the magic juice in there,racing fuel.She`ll burn REAL clean on that.Know any drag racers?

well i'm trying to burn EVERYTHING up and try and keep the hydrocarbons down. its a low compression v8 so a higher octane might be doing the opposite since it might not burn it all up. no i dint know any drag racers. i just concerned because it is gonna get towed out of my house if i dint get plates for it soon enough.
If it`s 3.73 ratio you will spint the wheel 100 times to the driveshaft`s 373 times.Or,if you`re lazy,you could just spin the wheel once and the driveshaft will spin 3.73 times.Or, 3 and 3/4 turns.And if you`re real lazy,I can sell you a tab for whatever ratio you want.
Or,you could read all the suggestions and try those.It`s been well explained,I think,already.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

That alkyhol will burn real good and it doesn`t contain 1/2 the crap their testing for in the first place.Isn`t there a source for racing fuel in the greater Pheonix area?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
combustion

Quote:
That alkyhol will burn real good and it doesn`t contain 1/2 the crap their testing for in the first place.Isn`t there a source for racing fuel in the greater Pheonix area?
yes there is a few places around here. I'm thinking of slapping in a catalytic and get it over with.

would this be a good idea?
Old 03-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

You know,as much as I hated this stuff going onto vehicles,I also care about our environment.I`ve avoided the whole emmisions hastle with older vehicles and diesels.I hate red tape!
BUT!I put duals on my`90 Blazer way back and still have it.I put hi-flow honeycomd cats on there,much better than the pellet can that came on it.I often considered voluntarily installing these hi-flows on a`72 of mine.There`s more to an emmisions system,but it would have to help.I`d say,"why not?"

Tim

Old 03-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
combustion

Quote:
You know,as much as I hated this stuff going onto vehicles,I also care about our environment.I`ve avoided the whole emmisions hastle with older vehicles and diesels.I hate red tape!
BUT!I put duals on my`90 Blazer way back and still have it.I put hi-flow honeycomd cats on there,much better than the pellet can that came on it.I often considered voluntarily installing these hi-flows on a`72 of mine.There`s more to an emmisions system,but it would have to help.I`d say,"why not?"

oh OK thanks a lot. BTW, i need to hook up my charcoal canister. but my question is, where do the charcoal canister lines go to. i know where one if them go to, but i need to know where does the other, do both lines go to intake vacuum? its already connected to the gas tank vent, but i need to hook it up to the motor as well so they dint fail me on the visual inspection. thanks a lot and thanks for your time special k
Old 03-17-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
corn

It may be freezing here but at least we never have to inspect vehicles. Nothing against you, just trying to make myself feel better...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfed63 View Post
It may be freezing here but at least we never have to inspect vehicles. Nothing against you, just trying to make myself feel better...
I`m cold,too.About that charcoal canister,I can`t help you tonight.I couldn`t say,never paid much attention to them.I`ll check tomorrow.I have`72s,two with California emmissions.I guess it`s all there.I didn`t touch it.

Tim

Old 03-17-2007, 08:15 PM   #10
SufferInTruth

Combustion, I didn't have a charcoal canister, EGR, or catalytic converters when I did emissions back in '03 when I bought my '71 (just had a hot 355 put in). They basically just wanted to max sure I passed the idle & gas cap test for the most part. If anything, back down on the timing a bit.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #11
68caliRat
Need a bigger hammer..

Make sure when you go that the engine is at operating temp that will help with a good burn..For the few years here in Cali when I had to smog mine it wouldn't pass when cold but did after I drove it around the block a few times..(the smog tech told me about that one)
68caliRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:30 AM   #12
combustion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferInTruth View Post
Combustion, I didn't have a charcoal canister, EGR, or catalytic converters when I did emissions back in '03 when I bought my '71 (just had a hot 355 put in). They basically just wanted to max sure I passed the idle & gas cap test for the most part. If anything, back down on the timing a bit.
damn. thanx a lot man, you took of a one ton weght off my chest.lol i was concerning too much about it haha. but thank you all for your help!
Old 03-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

I never thought to ask for some history.Have you tryed and failed?Or,just nervous about doing it?I just assumed you were having trouble getting it through and about to lose the truck to non-registration bs.

Tim

Old 03-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #14
bobthecop

We have no inspections here at all, not even a safety inspection, so you can imagine some of the stuff on the road.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:50 AM   #15
combustion

Quote:
I never thought to ask for some history.Have you tryed and failed?Or,just nervous about doing it?I just assumed you were having trouble getting it through and about to lose the truck to non-registration bs.
lol i have not.. i know im making a big deal out of it but its a hassle not to pass
Old 03-18-2007, 08:05 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

When I lived in Arizona it was wide open,anything goes.I can`t imagine it being so regulated,now.
BTW,I tend to sweat that stuff,too.Did I mention,I HATE RED TAPE!!!???

Tim

Old 03-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #17
combustion

Quote:
When I lived in Arizona it was wide open,anything goes.I can`t imagine it being so regulated,now.
BTW,I tend to sweat that stuff,too.Did I mention,I HATE RED TAPE!!!???
i hear ya man. ya we are not a strict as California but we are getting there since our population is growing and its not getting any cooler here haha. i just hope that they dint run it on the dyno because i think I'm running a lil rich, NOT GOOD FOR THE HYDRCARBONS lol. But as long as i got a pretty strong ignition they might go down
Old 03-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #18
clay68c10

Drop back your timing a bit, set your idle mix a bit lean, change the oil, and put some guaranteed to pass additive in the tank. Just don't take it too lean or you NOX will go high.
If you don't pass by adjusting it on your own, then take it to a shop that works on older stuff and let them adjust it, they know the tricks and do that stuff pretty often. A friend of mine in Tucson went that route and had no problems passing his 72.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ

Last edited by clay68c10; 03-18-2007 at 10:59 AM.
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #19
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay68c10 View Post
If you don't pass by adjusting it on your own, then take it to a shop that works on older stuff and let them adjust it, they know the tricks and do that stuff pretty often.
I couldn't agree more. all you will do your self without a 5 gas analyser is guess and possibly make it worse. start by recording all your settings (for after test) and let the pros do their thing. when i worked at a shop in Ill. I did this so many times for customers and passed each time. see if they will take it in for you.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #20
pharcydekm

I just took my 67 through last week they will test you at idle and loaded. Mine they only test for CO and HC which if you have a solid tune up and air fuel is adjusted correctly you should go through no problem. I'm not sur eif they test you for NOX or not on your year. Needless to say if it is running correctly you should have no problem passing.

I agree with the change the oil make sure everything looks good and run it through. If it fails you get the second test for free so that will give you a baseline if you fail and you know what needs adjusting from there.

Good luck!
pharcydekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:44 PM   #21
68Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustion View Post
i hear ya man. ya we are not a strict as California but we are getting there since our population is growing and its not getting any cooler here haha. i just hope that they dint run it on the dyno because i think I'm running a lil rich, NOT GOOD FOR THE HYDRCARBONS lol. But as long as i got a pretty strong ignition they might go down

'73 and older DO NOT require smog. Sometimes it pays to live in Cali.
aka "Sucia30"

Past:
'79 C10 BIG 10 (Sold)
69 CST LWB - Always a "Work in progress" true work truck (stolen)
05 GSXR 750 it has a pretty paint job _wrecked
72 SWB full frame restoration -sold!
71 CST K5 Blazer 4x4 (soon to be 2wd)-project - sold!

C10 Club 2012 Brothers Show Video
http://youtu.be/pUeV2vP7Wpo

68Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:28 PM   #22
84_4x4

they just got rid of emissions here but thankfully in the past i just put 11,000 lbs truck tags on on my trucks gotta find loop holes
Old 03-18-2007, 11:52 PM   #23
pharcydekm

The pro's can def help. I just sold my shop that I owned for 3 years, and you are right as far as we did a LOT of emissions work. I would also take the vehicle and have it tested to make sure it would pass (customer service) but these trucks are very simple for the most part. I would make sure it is running right and run it through. If you pass great!! If you don't then look at it and see how far off it is. As much as I hate to say it by taking it to a shop completely unknown you may end up buying... plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, diagnosis, carb, intake gasket, PCV, vac lines, vac advance, timing adjustment, hmm what else could they rack onto the bill????

Take it through and see where you stand!! This is my .02

Last edited by pharcydekm; 03-18-2007 at 11:53 PM.
pharcydekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:38 AM   #24
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Its cool in texas too, older cars only have to pass emissions standards of when the car was built. Its a pretty cool law... You can toss about anything in and be legal for '69
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote