The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2002, 05:51 PM   #1
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Lucas oil additives

Has anyone here had first hand experiance with them?
If not...has anyone heard anything bad about them?
I'm doing a google search, but only getting sponcered opininons...nothing totally unbiased.
They claim a whole lot...I'm just wondering if they are awsome, or full of it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 06:09 PM   #2
cableguy0

i ahvent personally ever used their stuffs but have torn things down that use lucas additives and they seem to lube excellent and be super slick. everybody i know that has used em has never had a bad thing to say about em
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 09:50 PM   #3
Piston
Account Suspended

We use it on a regular basis.. Just the Engine oil additive though.
Every engine that has internal work done (Intake gaskets mainly) it gets a qt of the "stringy stuff". It started with the failure rate of GM's V6/V8 engines after an intake manifold repair. We noticed about a 50% failure rate in the lower end after a major repair (within 4 months). Jasper informed us years ago, we could not use Rol-loc disks to clean/prep the gasket surface anymore.. The fibers were causing bearing failure. While not using those seemed to lower that % down some, we still noticed alot of problems. After using lucas, I would guestimate that number down to about 5-10% now. I dont mean it to sound like the end all be all of additives but it does help prolong the bearing problems these engines we all having.

When this bearing problem started happening, we took 2 identical vehicles with about the same mileage and changed intake gaskets (external leakage). Changed the oil and filter after repairs. We added Lucas to one vehicle and asked for the vehicles back in 500 miles for a "complimentary" oil change. We sent a sample of each vehicles oil to the lab.
The vehicle that recieved lucas had 5% lower metal content in the oil. And had 45% more slica which helps cusion the bearings a bit.

Just proves that it didnt hurt a thing but actually slowed down the bearing wear process.
They also found massive amounts of Phospherous (brown roloc disk fibers) hense the reason we stopped using them.

Side note: DO NOT use any additives on a new engine though... this is mainly for higher mileage engines. Let the engine go through break-in before adding anything
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 10:15 PM   #4
bigjimzlll

I have found EOS(engine oil suppliment) from GM to be a great aid in the breakin process..especially for cam breakin

click the clicky to join the site....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

67 lwb..first hotrod in 25 years..540 best ET is 9.45 @ 141.44
Anderson,CA
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 10:51 PM   #5
oldyeller
Captain CAAAVVVMMMAAANNN!

have used their power steering additive, it works good as slowing down leaks. I went from a quart of ps fluid a month to 1 bottle of of the additve in about 8 months. only draw back was on a cold day it was like having manual steering until the fluid got warmed up. This was on a 83 mazda I had, yea I know its a ricer, but it was cheap on gas in college..
check out the project old yeller
oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 11:01 PM   #6
Longhorn Man

Piston, That is EXACTLY what i was looking for. Thank you.
I know they have been around for a while, and the truckers swear by it. I saw a bottle of there tranny stuff and it is only 5 bucks...I'm kinda leary on the TH350 going behind the caddy motor.
Any one know anything about the tranny additive from Lucas?
Old 11-23-2002, 11:39 PM   #7
No3Fan4Ever
Running on empty

I let my inspection service guy talk me into using the transmission additive on my um, er (cough), ahem, 94 Bronco when he changed the filters and fluids 6 months ago (93,000 miles) and it runs just fine; based on what i read above i should consider using it in the engine
Tim

We have two rules here at the Rock.
Rule #1: No writing on the walls.
Rule#2: Obey all rules

70 GMC Sierra Grande "Custom Camper" Longhorn 402 Big Block TH400 PS PB factory AC Posi;
94 Bronco XLT 302, auto;worn out daily driver

No3Fan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 12:17 AM   #8
Longhorn Man

Sweet, any improvements noticed?
I guess the GMC will be a test bed yet again....and I shall report back to y'all with the results.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:48 AM   #9
t korinek
Truckin' Krazy

I use the lucas engine oil additive & it hasn't blown up my 402 yet, might just be luck, but my engine does have a lot of miles on it & I did make a 1500 mile trip in 2 days. Tom
Dakota Digital
Trim parts Carpets
Truck World seat covers
& Many others
Chevy Parts locator in Mesa AZ!
t korinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 09:27 AM   #10
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

I use their injector cleaner in my daily driver........best that I've used. Never used any of their oil products though.

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote