The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
lucky13csa

I did it!....installed windshield

Going through this site it was about 50/50: half said "get a pro" because it kept breaking on them while the other half said "easy, piece of cake". The best price that I could get having someone else do it was $185 with a used windshield. If I did it myself, I could get used windshield for $75. My problem was that I landed a good deal on a complete front crossmember setup from a 70 something 3/4 ton pickup for $100 at a nearby pic-n-pull. So, in order to accomplish both my only option was to buy the windshield and put it in myself. The windshield was for my 87 Burb and I needed to get it inspected and on the road so that I would have a way to haul back my front crossmember, which I pick up tomorrow. Whew....LOL.
My wife helped me and we got it about 1/3 of the way in...having a hard time with it. I thought I had ripped it in the corner(I was pissed....LOL) when my wife realized that it was rubber trim that comes out After removing that it was "easy as pie". Passed the inspection today, got the tools loaded, and I'm all ready to get my front crossmember tomorrow morning
I want to leave this post with some advice regarding "laminated glass" in general. My knowledge of laminated glass was one factor leading to my decision to try it myself. I work at a manufacturing company www.pgtindustries.com that produces laminated glass windows and doors(hurricane windows). Check out the site. I'm a Team Leader in the Laminating Dept, where we actually laminate the glass. If you see the slightest little crack along the edge, it will, now or later, spread across the glass. If you see any air bubbles or empty space along the edge, it will delaminate or start a crack easily. If you see a V-shaped chip (v-shaped through the thickness of the glass) it will crack, now or later. Keep these tips in mind whether buying a new or used windshield.
I'm going to leave you with a fact that blows some people's minds: Glass is a liquid. Yes, you heard right, it is a liquid. Over a long period of time the bottom edge of a vertically installed piece of glass will be thicker at the bottom than at the top due to the glass "flowing down".
Thanks to all of the board members for helping me with tip and advice on doing my own windshield, I couldn't have done it without y'all. Later.
lucky13csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
lucky13csa

Re: I did it!....installed windshield

If you visit the PGT Industries website and click on "About Us" and then look at the bottom-left portion of the main picture, you will notice 3 people w/ white suits on and some rolls of vinyl in the foreground. This is the clean room where the actual "sandwich" is made. glass/vinyl/glass and the it continues on that conveyor into an oven/press. Later.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
72Levi

VERY GOOD, I always admire people that put in their own windshield. If it breaks your done.
2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Congrats!!! I have done several rear widows but no windshields. I have a spare cab and broken windshield to practice on. Once I get the procedure down...I'm going for it. Used windshields are only about $25 at Pull-A-Part here. I am going to use the old gasket since it looks pretty good once it was cleaned.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13csa View Post
I'm going to leave you with a fact that blows some people's minds: Glass is a liquid. Yes, you heard right, it is a liquid. Over a long period of time the bottom edge of a vertically installed piece of glass will be thicker at the bottom than at the top due to the glass "flowing down".
Wow, learn something new every day.

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
lucky13csa

Wow...I wish I could've picked one up for $25. I don't know what they would have charged me at the place where I'm picking up my front crossmember tomorrow but, they didn't have any Burbs and I didn't know or didn't want to gamble on if the same year pickup windshield would have worked. I got my windshield from a closer junkyard where they won't let the customer pull windshields due to the fact that they usually break them taking them out. Anyway, I'm still a happy camper cause everything is working out......LOL.
Thanks 72Levi.
Stllookn...I would recommend that you break up by hand your broken windshield so that you can get a feel for the threshold or strength of the glass. This will help you to get the feel of when not to go too far or to hard. Just my thoughts. I don't know if that is something that you can get a feel of in a few days or if it take a couple of years.....LOL. Later.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

I've done 2 of them (not in the same truck) the 2cd one broke so my buddy called the pro - still took the pro 2.5hrs to get it in.

The first one took me and another guy about 4hours and alot of "pursuading" with words to get it in.

They are tough - both times I was using a "used w/s" so I didn't really care if I broke it or not. - the pro used a new one.
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:31 AM   #8
Americanrider

[QUOTE=lucky13csa;2089983]Wow...I wish I could've picked one up for $25. I don't know what they would have charged me at the place where I'm picking up my front crossmember tomorrow but, they didn't have any Burbs and I didn't know or didn't want to gamble on if the same year pickup windshield would have worked. I got my windshield from a closer junkyard where they won't let the customer pull windshields due to the fact that they usually break them taking them out. Anyway, I'm still a happy camper cause everything is working out......LOL.

"Let you fingers do the walkin" Call around and find a wrecking yard with a set of interchange books, Truck & burb windshields should interchange in their respective year groups. I was told the doors will interchange on my 85 truck with same year burb (front) doors.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
lucky13csa

Thanks for the info Americanrider.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
lucky13csa

Also, those more interested in the construction of their windshields, mainly the vinyl interlayer, should visit this site.
This is the PVB product that we use in our windows and doors. It's a interesting read. Later all.