The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
TONE

Car Show Question

I am thinking of entering my first car/truck shows this summer. Nothing big, just a few locals shows. This may be a stupid question but most of the forms say for it to be coinsidered "stock" no more than three modifications may be allowed. My question I guess is how stock is stock, and what do they deem as being modified? Color, stance, engine, carpet, ect..is it any alteration? Thanks!!!
- 4.56 GEARS
TONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

Re: Car Show Question

The best thing to do is the day of the show, ask the people running registration or the judges, they are there to help. I've worked a few shows and they don't mind helping...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
st1x10

Yup, just go there and they will tell you what category you'll be in.

Got any pics of your show queen?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:39 PM   #4
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

It all depends on the judges and how whiny the guy next to you is. In my opinion stock is stock appearing (to a car person unfamiliar with the make could call it stock) reversible alterations. Anything radically different would be a modification. BUT my family's 69 Camaro has been forced into modified because it had 15" rallys (14" stock), Edelbrock intake and carb, and chrome dress on the engine.

Guessing from your picture, you'd run in modified (shaved lights, painted grill, etc.). Besides, the modified guys are more fun and relaxed, it's not about the trophies like some stock guys are. Just go, ask, and have some fun at the show and see everybody else's ride. Every ride I've lost to I didn't care because the owner/builder was cool and we had a good time hanging out at the show.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Oops, you have a 67..........

You could go stock, but just feel out the show. Ask when you register. The worst that can happen is other people get mad, but that's their problem.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #6
TONE

Alright, thanks alot! Yeah my point in entering is definatly for fun. I just didn't want to put down stock and have a bunch of upset people picking my truck apart, because that would not be fun. No, no pictures quite yet of the finished product. But, other than lowering it 2/4, different wheels, and a blank endgate, it's real stock looking. Now the engine and the exhaust is slightly different. But other than the headers you can't see the changes ( slightly bigger cam, gear drive). I'm sure most here could see changes, but I'm not sure the average Joe would notice anything radical about it. But anyway, great advice! Thanks again!!
- 4.56 GEARS
TONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:06 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Stock, in most cases is "stock appearing" meaning restored to original. That will vary widely from show to show.

The best advice I can offer is don't worry about what class your in. Don't go there looking for a trophy. Go there for the smiles, thumbs up, and compliments you will get from the people that are there.

I get much more pleasure from the great people I meet and talk with through the day than I get from any award.

The last show I attended I left before the awards. Not that I don't appreciate the trophy, but I find it anti-climatic after I have had a day full of compliments by people that know what they are looking at.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:33 PM   #8
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONE View Post
Alright, thanks alot! Yeah my point in entering is definatly for fun. I just didn't want to put down stock and have a bunch of upset people picking my truck apart, because that would not be fun. No, no pictures quite yet of the finished product. But, other than lowering it 2/4, different wheels, and a blank endgate, it's real stock looking. Now the engine and the exhaust is slightly different. But other than the headers you can't see the changes ( slightly bigger cam, gear drive). I'm sure most here could see changes, but I'm not sure the average Joe would notice anything radical about it. But anyway, great advice! Thanks again!!
Going by your description and being assistant head judge for my car club, I'd enter it in the stock class...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:38 PM   #9
pissonNOS

i wish our local car show was like what your talking about, all they have is a best overall vehicle which sucks because you always get the bigshots out of the city winning it but what the hell its fun anyways
Old 03-28-2007, 12:47 AM   #10
cfoust3

My club puts on a local show, of course we don't have classes, we just do top 25, and then the city who co-hosts it gives top 10 picks. But in my experience (25-30 shows) it depends on the turn-out. Most shows I have entered stock class is small, due to all of the modified trucks. What I normally do is show up about in the middle of registration when the judges are starting to see trends in what classes are filling up, then they start to get a little more liberal with the catagories. This isn't always true, but sometimes. I have also had judges come up to me during the show and ask me to switch classes.
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some ****in' muscle.
-Wooderson
From the movie Dazed and Confused
cfoust3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:04 AM   #11
Mudder

Around here most shows ............ stock is factory or very close. If something isn't original I'm sure they will knock points for it. If you start bending the classes someone will get peeved. Not sure that I have been to a show where something isn't questioned or someone isn't happy. That's pretty much why I have quit going to the small local shows. And I don't ever recall being upset myself about things at shows except for one time and it was so out of line I just kept my mouth shut and left. What is the point? It's all to have fun and hearing ppl complain and gripe is no fun to me.

I like shows that do no judging and have no awards...............Like Nu2 trucks says.......... the compliments and comments from the ppl there are the reward.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #12
see ten
WTB this ad

I have all but quit doing shows due to people griping about what class you should or shouldn't have been put in. This is why we are almost doing nothing but cruise ins these days. At the NATs my C10 was placed in the restored original class the first year I took it (placed third). The second year it was placed in the modified class (the only real difference was the addition of Vintage Air, placed third again). The third year I had dropped the truck and changed the wheels and was again placed in the modified class (didn't place ). We had a good time and have met a lot of nice people over the years. But as everyone here is saying, how you will be classed is a crapshoot. Get out there and socialize and have a good time!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #13
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Shows are like hunting and fishing.It's nice to come home with a trophy but if you have to score to enjoy it you are going for the wrong reason.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #14
DUD2STUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Shows are like hunting and fishing.It's nice to come home with a trophy but if you have to score to enjoy it you are going for the wrong reason.

I couldn't have said it better!!!
DUD2STUD is offline   Reply With Quote