The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 AM   #1
Kantosensei

Tilt Column Experts Needed--help

I'm sorry this is a long post, but I bought this tilt column off of evilbay last year. It was supposed to be off of a 71 chevy truck, but I have the feeling it is a van tilt. Nonetheless it's mine. It appeared that it was stuck in the dirt for a long time as the lower end was very rusty and the lower bearing was gone. In addition, I had trouble getting the pivot pins out and I took it to a machine shop to have them removed. Well, they completely dissasembled the entire column. They took no notes as how to reassemble, which is something I do. I have several questions: 1. Can someone identify this column. 2. The lower bearing--first is the end cap that is held on with a retainer (not pictured). Next is the fitted plastic piece with a metal cup??? It appears that the bearing rides in this cup and then a retainer of sorts that the bearing rides against; this could possibly be part of the bearing as I can find no pictures that confirm this. 3. The two lock shoes for that hold the tilt into place, one, the teeth starts from the end, the other the teeth start about 1/4 from the end. Are these installed correctly? 4. Last question, there is a light that screws onto the switch (cancelling cam), and there is a hole in the cover below where the indicator (PRNDLL) screws into. Does this light stick out ( I hope not) or is there a cover that I need to buy. There is a very small indicator on the turn siganl housing, but I believe there is a piece missing. If someone has a picture it would be great. Thank you again for all of your help----David
Attached Images

Kantosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: Tilt Column Experts Needed--help

You ought to get his posted in the 67-72 truck section also as I know there are some people there that can help you out - they might not see this post here. Good luck!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Kantosensei

ttt
Old 03-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Someone on here will chime in with an exploded view of the tilt column out of the assembly manual I am sure but even then it is difficult to follow I think but mechanicals are not my specialty either.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #5
Kantosensei

I have the exploded view, but it does not give any of the information that I need. I am hoping to find someone who has done this before because the pictures that I have found so far are not detailed enough.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
Kantosensei

ttt
Old 03-30-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
71swb4x4

That's a truck tilt. The van tilt's neutral safety switch is 16" from the bottom of the tube. The hole for your switch looks like it's half that.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
71swb4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantosensei View Post
2. The lower bearing--first is the end cap that is held on with a retainer (not pictured). Next is the fitted plastic piece with a metal cup??? It appears that the bearing rides in this cup and then a retainer of sorts that the bearing rides against; this could possibly be part of the bearing as I can find no pictures that confirm this.

If I remember correctly it's the retainer, then the bearing, then the plastic adapter piece. The retainer would be the outer most piece.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
71swb4x4

I have the written disassembly instructions, do you have those? If not PM me your email addy and I will email them to you.
Shawn
Old 03-31-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
cabinetguy
67 shorty

That is a van housing,trucks only have 1 slot not 2.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:04 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Looking at the bottom of the shaft, you can see how much had been stickin out. It looks like a truck unit to me.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:21 PM   #12
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Can't help much on this column but I will say you need a new machine shop.If they were to take out pins and dismantled it I would surely B!+ch.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote