The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
straight axle

electrical help

yesterday The wifes suburban had a fuse blow for the horn/courtesy lights. For some reason it killed the radio too (not stock one either) so I replaced the fuse, and nothing, is there a relay or something that I'm missing? We are on our way to the cost for spring break vacation and we have a three our ride with three boys (8,4,1 1/2) with no radio to drowned them out.!!!!!!!!!!!
straight axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: electrical help

You need a factory service manual or at least a haynes or chiltons manual for a schematic. You can borrow the haynes or chiltons at your local library. The only relay that should be on that fuse is the horn relay. Shouldn't be any for the courtesy lights. But your aftermarket radio sounds like it had one of the two power feeds coming from that fuse. Most of the time the switched power and the constant power feeds to aftermarket radios have inline fuses. Depending on which circuit was hooked up to the horn/courtesy fuse, what ever caused the short might have popped the inline fuse too.

I'd start looking at the two power feeds for the radio.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:47 PM   #3
straight axle

OK I checked the inline fuse and it is not blown, the horn and the courtesy lights are in op. My haynes manual is of very little help. Can't seem to locate how the horn and the courtesy light are inter mixed. I replaced the fuse and made no difference. no power to any of the accessory's I'm kinda lost.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
jimfulco

I've seen brand new fuses that wouldn't conduct electricity, and fuses that looked good that weren't.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
straight axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco View Post
I've seen brand new fuses that wouldn't conduct electricity, and fuses that looked good that weren't.
I did a no no and pulled a fuse out of my truck and that did not fix it, put it back in the truck and it worked in the truck.