The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
'66chevyfanatic

In the beginning.... 1966 C10

Hi all,

I am fairly new here. I joined 2 years ago, but haven't had the time and/or money to work on this truck. Now, this spring, I have the time, some money, and a serious itch to get to work on this project. This truck belongs to my dad, and I'm tired of it just sitting and not getting anywhere. I'd really like to get this thing on the road before he's too old, and health problems or whatever cause him to not be able to enjoy it. I've wanted this truck since I was a kid, and he'd never sell it to me then. Now he tells me to just take it, but I'm not about to do that. So, he and I have come up with a plan to raise the money needed together to get this truck going, and it probably won't cost either of us a dime out of pocket. We buy and sell junk, and alot of the stuff we sell, we are putting all of the profits into the truck fund.

Now, we have a small pile of cash, and are in search of some parts for the chassis. We had the chassis blasted and painted about 2 years ago, and got it back about the time I joined this site. It has been sitting in my garage the same way since, due to lack of funds and parts. I am getting very serious about finding the parts we need to get the chassis done this spring. Once done, my goal for the remainder of this summer, is to have the bed and cab mounted back on the chassis, in ready to paint condition.

First things first. I need to find a 5 lug rear, and a front crossmember with a disc break set up. I'm not interested in one of the aftermarket kits, so I'm looking for a donor 1971-1972 truck. I figure by the time I buy all new calipers and rotors, etc. we'll have about the same amount of money in the brake set up as an aftermarket anyway, but I'll have the satisfaction of working on something old, and making it like new again. Plus, when parts need replacing, I'll be able to run to the local parts house and get what I need quickly and easily, without having to mix and match too much.

Here are some pics of the chassis that I took this morning.

The truck he has is a C20 2WD long bed fleetside. He has nearly enough parts to make 2+ trucks. He found another whole truck a few years back for $200.00, and it had a rust free stepside box on it. It was a C10 2WD longbed. We decided to use the C10 chassis, and the stepside box, and use everything else from the C20. The box just needs to be cleaned up, primed and painted. The box has absolutely no rust, and no dings or dents that I recall. I wanted to post some pics of the truck and the new box, but right now, they're inaccessable. Hopefully in a month or two they'll be dug out of my dad's garage and on the way to being mounted on the new chassis.

We're not doing a whole lot of fancy mods to the truck. It will retain a mostly stock appearance, stock ride height, and just a mild 283 or 350. We have 2-283's, and 3-350 engines laying around, it's just a matter of deciding which one we will rebuild and use for this truck. Other than that, the only upgrades/modifications in the plans are the disc brakes, power steering, and 5 lug rear end.

Sorry for the lengthy post, it's been two years since my intro post, so I thought I'd provide a bit of background with my pics. I hope you enjoy, I know I like looking at other peoples projects as they make progress. I'll be posting pics of the project as it comes along.

Thanks,
Tom

Also, could someone tell me if I understand the rules correctly? Is it correct that unless I'm a site supporter, I can not post in the parts FS section, even if it's a Wanted to Buy post? Or, am I allowed to post Wanted posts, but not FS posts? I intend to subscribe as a site supporter at some point, but not right now. I want to use all of the truck fund to get the parts needed for the truck first. Thanks much for any help.

Last edited by '66chevyfanatic; 04-01-2007 at 10:17 AM.
'66chevyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
slepysal

Re: In the beginning.... 1966 C10

Looks great !! You have a good starting point. You could try craigs list to find a donor. Read the FAQ section, and you will see it dosn't have to be a 1971-1972 truck to get the rear end or front cross member . GOOD LUCK!!
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
desertrat

Hey good start Tom, if you are in need of something you can always casually mention it on you're new build thread you just started. I'm sure if someone has what you need they will contact you.
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
'66chevyfanatic

Thanks guys.

I checked out Craig's List. I had never heard of it before. I didn't see anything local, but I'll keep checking it.

I realize it doesn't have to be a 1971 or 1972, but thought I'd try and keep it as simple as possible. If I can find everything all in one package, that would be as simple as can be for me. I may look for something newer for the front crossmember, brakes, and PS stuff if I happen upon a 1971-1972 rear end by itself. I really don't want to get into welding and fabricating much, as I'm really not real good at it. I want it to be as nice and look as good as possible when finished. Cutting the steering column and mounting the PS gear box bracket will be enough of a challenge for me, although it looks and sounds simple enough. I like the bolt on and go stuff, it's pretty hard for me to screw it up, although believe me I can.

Thanks for the tip desertrat, I guess I already did that without really realizing it.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 04-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
MistrThou

so you're saying theres a fleetside box for a long frame thats not in use?
i myself have a c20 66 that needs a box, im in janesville.

if youd be willing to part if its in good condition, you may have a way of removing extra parts off your hands.
MistrThou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
'66chevyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistrThou View Post
so you're saying theres a fleetside box for a long frame thats not in use?
i myself have a c20 66 that needs a box, im in janesville.

if youd be willing to part if its in good condition, you may have a way of removing extra parts off your hands.

Travis,

I just replied to your thread about your truck. I didn't see your post here before.

Indeed there is a fleetside box, and it will be available. Hopefully later this spring I will have the truck out, and be able to send you some pics. It's not too rusted out, but it's not perfect either. I haven't actually looked it over in a few years, and my memory is not the best. I do know there's a dent in one side or the other, but I don't think it's too bad.

I'm only about 40-45 minutes south of Janesville, so it wouldn't be too far for you to come look at it. I'll let you know when I get the truck out and ready.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
MistrThou

that sounds great. I'd like to come see another work in progress. Unfortunately the one guy in town that has his apart has a lack of initiative to get work done on his. I just have a lack of finance. Wont be a problem to drive mine down.
MistrThou is offline   Reply With Quote