The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
liljon285
That Guy

Problems installing coils.

I need help with these coils. I took off all the bolts on top of the control arm (except the one that goes right through the middle which i cant take out)and it did'nt come down so it took of thw sway bar mount on the lower control arm and the shock and still the top part of the spindle doesnt slide out. Ive done so many imports and its so easy, i cant believe these american cars would be this hard. Now I got some intructions on here and it says you gotta remove the lower u-bolts that connect the lower control arm to the kmember(or frame) but i really dont want to do that because im probably gonne mess up a lot easier. Is there any other way(perhaps easier) to do it I really want to get it done this week.

Last edited by liljon285; 03-31-2007 at 04:46 PM.
liljon285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: Problems installing coils.

When I put the drop coils in mine I put it on jack stands. Took the sway bar loose, Tie-rod end from the spindle for extra room like making a sharp turn. Then put my floor jack under the lower ball joint and popped it loose then SLOWLY lowered the jack and the coil dropped out.

Reverse the procedure to re-install.
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 03-31-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
liljon285
That Guy

the lowr ball jopint is the bottome spindle not the steering one right?
Old 03-31-2007, 07:11 PM   #4
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Yes the bottom, Loosen the castle nut about 5 turns then smack the side of the spindle at the ball joint area with a BIG hammer as below and it will pop loose. Then raise your jack to release the pressure then remove the nut, Lower your jack SLOWLY to remove the spring.

What your doing is lowering the bottom control arm to remove the spring.
Attached Images

97 GMC Ext. Cab

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 03-31-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
liljon285
That Guy

Yea ok i got it, i just finshed getting the coil out(with a crow bar lol). Thanks, turns out i did it the complete opposite way I could fo sworn the top part was the part that comes off. Now tommorow i will put in the new coil and head for the other side, Thanks again!
Old 03-31-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Im in the proccess in a whole front end rebuild (man what a head ache) but removint the coil spring didnt seem to hard pulled it out with my hand. I just removed the lower ball joint (it bad need to replace) then i put slack in the front end. i started pushing down on the lower a arm to releave what little tenchion was left then pulled out. (But during all of this i had a chain rapped around the spring to stop it from flying anywere if would have shot out)

Thought this little bit of info might help.

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
liljon285
That Guy

Yea I got it out already and but in the new shcok and coil spring the probelm is that when i drop it the spring looks fine but its really is out of place since everytime i lift it the coil get all loose like if its too short is this normal?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

So was it drop springs and shocks for drop springs ?

I haven't jacked mine back up since I installed them.
97 GMC Ext. Cab

Old 04-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
liljon285
That Guy

its summit ground force 3" drop coils and DJM drop shocks, everything for the exact truck too, but that just scares me cuz then everytime il hit a good high bump that lifts the truck that means ill have to realign the truck from the spring always moving around. Again it only moves loosly while jacked up on the grond its fine, but you know the hole on the top control arm whichthe top of the spring is suppossed to surround, it doesnt and i cant get it to either.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #10
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Hmmm, I installed the same springs in mine. Part # GRF-1026 and the top of the spring slid right over the centering stub. How hight do you jack the front up before the spring becomes loose ?

The bottom of my K-member is 6" off the ground, I jacked it up to 9" off the ground before the springs became a little loose. That would have to be one helluva bump to have to worry about the springs moving.

You just watch the road ahead and don't go off-roading in a lowered truck.
97 GMC Ext. Cab

Old 04-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
lurch115

another trick to is to take a short piece of chain and attach it to both control arms.....on the bottom one you attach it out towards the lower ball joint, and then on the top one mount it in towards the frame so that you can limit the travel

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you carry the wall with you."
'84 chevy half ton short box 2wd, 67,000 actual miles
'03 chevy 1500 HD crew cab 4x4 standard box, 6.0L
lurch115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #12
liljon285
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Hmmm, I installed the same springs in mine. Part # GRF-1026 and the top of the spring slid right over the centering stub. How hight do you jack the front up before the spring becomes loose ?

The bottom of my K-member is 6" off the ground, I jacked it up to 9" off the ground before the springs became a little loose. That would have to be one helluva bump to have to worry about the springs moving.

You just watch the road ahead and don't go off-roading in a lowered truck.
When the wheels almost lift off the ground. And my coils didnt slide into the centering stub i guess.
I checked and it did drop it 3" but still the coild just doesnt seem or look like its in right.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

In the lower control arm there is a small indentation for the end of the coil to set in, Did you get that aligned up ?

With my drive-train (Cab's still off) sitting on the floor I was able to stick my fingers between the upper coils and feel the top centered on the stub and in the right position see it centered. I don't know what to say if your's isn't.
97 GMC Ext. Cab