The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2007, 01:02 AM   #1
TooMany2count
Who's in CHARGE??????????

Large Marge has left the Building

well, as of last nite at about midnite i didnt think it would happen, i thought i was finished & had thought i had checked everything but somehow forgot to fill the PS pump up after i had to replace a hose. in about 60 seconds i burnt it to a crisp, all i could say is F---, F---, F---!!!!!!!!!!
i checked my GM PS pumps but didnt seem to have one that i could use because of the brackets i had to change. well i will admit i went in & went to bed so pissed off at myself for screwing up the PS pump & knew i didnt have time to go get one & have it done before noon today when our son had to leave to go back to Camp LeJeune, NC.

at about 8am this morning i got up went back out in the garage && still cussing myself about the pump but desided to look around one more time. w/luck & a lot of praying to the BIGG GUY upstairs i found a PS Pump stuff in the back of some other parts. as luck would have it i was able to pull the pully off easlily & swapped the brackets to mount it. i primed the pump mounted it to the mtr & it was good to go (Thank you Lord).

i have been beating heavily on the beast for the past 4-6weeks trying to finish it enough so i could take our son for a short ride before he goes to Iraq in the middle of April. Sooooooooo, after a 36yr sleep & 10yrs after i bought her, Large Marge went on her maiden voyage around the block today .

so w/no glass , no floor other then the 1x1 tubing & a piece of plywood to set the seat on && hot wired, i fired that mother up & drove her out of the garage w/my son sitting beside me. w/smiles on our faces from ear to ear we pulled out of the driveway & drove around the block for the first time. Joe told me he honestly didnt think this day would happen before he left BUT happy as snot to be here for the first ride when it did happen.

she's still has a ways to go before i will take her out for a long distance ride, but it seems she may just see that happening sometime this summer. the wife & i have been w/o a ride to enjoy for close to 6yrs now & we have been bitten once more . so hopefully we will see some of u in the near future as we cruise around the St Louis area working all the bugs out of her.

sorry but we had no one to take pics of the trip around the block, BUT we did get a short video of the son & i pulling Large Marge out of the garage & i will post a link as soon as i get it downloaded.....joe
Donate Blood,Plasma,Platelets & sign your DONORS CARD & SAVE a LIFE

Last edited by TooMany2count; 03-31-2007 at 01:04 AM.
TooMany2count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
chevyrestoguy

Re: Large Marge has left the Building

What a cool story. Your son will never forget it, and will probably do the same thing with his kids as they get older. My truck story kind of parallels yours in the fact that I bought it in 1992, did the chassis work in '94, and I have piddled with it on and off ever since. I started a family, remodeled the house (that alone almost committed me to a 7-day work week in order to afford it), and the '55 sat in the garage and essentially became a storage unit. I hang out with a bunch of guys who are very close friends (a bodyshop owner, a custom painter/pinstriper, and a chassis fabricator), and they have always given me grief over why my stuff never gets finished. I have worked on their stuff for years because I enjoy it and never expected a dime in return, and now they are returning the favors. I am working on it in the evenings and weekends, and I have been re-energized. I hope to have a maiden voyage like yours in the next few months.

I really enjoy this site because we're all just a bunch of regular guys who believe that family comes first, good friends are always there to help you out, and if there's a little cash left over after paying the bills, then the significant other understands that it's going to a worthy cause.
________
Jeep Hurricane History

Last edited by chevyrestoguy; 02-18-2011 at 11:07 AM.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
texascowboy593

Good story... Glad you were able to get her going. Looking foward to the video!
2014 Dodge Durango (Wife-mobile)
2008 Dodge Ram Lone Star Edition (Daily driver)
texascowboy593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Tri5Nerd
Tripple Five Fanatic

Good story, get the video up, I know I'll have that smile once mine is ready to roll out the garage.
Tri5Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #5
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
What a cool story. Your son will never forget it, and will probably do the same thing with his kids as they get older. My truck story kind of parallels yours in the fact that I bought it in 1992, did the chassis work in '94, and I have piddled with it on and off ever since. I started a family, remodeled the house (that alone almost committed me to a 7-day work week in order to afford it), and the '55 sat in the garage and essentially became a storage unit. I hang out with a bunch of guys who are very close friends (a bodyshop owner, a custom painter/pinstriper, and a chassis fabricator), and they have always given me grief over why my stuff never gets finished. I have worked on their stuff for years because I enjoy it and never expected a dime in return, and now they are returning the favors. I am working on it in the evenings and weekends, and I have been re-energized. I hope to have a maiden voyage like yours in the next few months.

I really enjoy this site because we're all just a bunch of regular guys who believe that family comes first, good friends are always there to help you out, and if there's a little cash left over after paying the bills, then the significant other understands that it's going to a worthy cause.
Good story......

I feel the same way about this site. Bunch of guys ( and a couple of gals) that would help you out if they can.

Brian ...

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:52 AM   #6
Daniel U

This thread needs pics! Cool story though.
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote