The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2002, 12:02 PM   #1
86Scottsdale

Question Odd oil consumption

Ok, with almost 117,000 miles I expect to have to add a bit of oil between my regular changes, which is roughly every 4000 miles. What gets me is how it "consumes" this oil between changes. At about halfway between changes, or ~1700-2000 miles it's down at the add line, so I add a quart and it comes up to full. But from this point until 4000 miles, or ~2000 more miles, it stays full or very close to it. I would think that it'd be ready for another quart, but no, never even close. Is the oil nice and sludged up by this point and just not able to seep though the cracks or what? Anybody else ever experience this? The oil is dark on the dipstick, but doesn't have that "death smell", so to speak, of a nasty, abused high mile engine. Not a real big deal I guess, but it irked me enough when I was giving it my weekly once-over that I decided to run it past you guys. Oh, at my regular changes I've been putting 10w-40 in it, and usually when I add a quart I put in 10W-30 since somebody gave me a bunch of it, so with a bit of thinner oil you'd really think that it'd be ready for another quart by oil change time.

'86 C20 Scottsdale, 305-H w/all the smog controls removed, Weiand Action Plus non-egr intake, edelbrock 1406 carb, dual 2-1/4" exhaust w/Flowtech Afterburners, and all the factory HD options to make it run cool and ride rough
86Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 07:14 PM   #2
TOMMAY

TOMMAY

Do you fill your filter up before you install it?Maybe you're starting out a little low.Only thing I can think of.

Good Luck

Tom