The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2002, 02:03 AM   #1
chuck eupharley

Question sway bar

So, in order to combat the high speed swaying I've experienced, I'm going to put in sway bars rear at least and front (if I don't have one there already) I don't really know what I'm looking for. I am wanting to know what is involved in putting one in. Is it an easy task? Is it a task that is with in my grasp? Any help would be great. Thanks. Chuck.

'79 G10 van 305, Rochester dualjet 210 (m2mc), th 350
chuck eupharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 02:11 AM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Van anti-sway bars are different on the front than pickups, so you will need to find one off a van. I know Brandon, 79Big10 had one. He may still have it laying around. As him, or he may chime in here.

The rear, I'm not sure if they're different or not. I've never messed with a van before. I don't even know if vans came with rear anti-sway bars. I'm sure the heavier vans did. If not, you could always buy an aftermarket bar like a Helwig or similar.

Whatever bar you go with, use urethane bushings with it. A new bar will come with urethane bushings. Also, if your van didn't come with a front bar, you will need the brackets which mount to the frame. Brandon bought some for his truck at the dealer. I don't know if there the same for your van though. The dealer will be able to tell you I would think, if someone else here don't know.

It's not hard to install a anti-sway bar by any means. I don't know what your grasp is though.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 02:18 AM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I've never done a rear but here's the parts and a pic for the front:
#6271375- Bracket for sway bar brackets to frame. Cost $9.49 at Dealer. Need 2
#334671- U shaped brackets for sway bar bushings for a 1 1/16" bar $4.29. Need 4
To fasten everything I used 3/8 x 1.5" Grade 8 bolts, nuts, flat and lock washers. You need 12 of all these.
I used poly bushings from the auto parts store but you can get kits with bushings and brackets (not frame brackets) for the sway bar. Here's a pic of one installed. Sway Bar It shows the brackets and the way the sway bar needs to be installed (yes it can be installed upside down but not as effective). You can see the frame brackets I'm talking about in the pic. If you already have these then you won't need them. I decided to go to dealer rather than junk yard since factory ones are riveted on and hard to get off.

BTW: Chuck I've got the one off a 77 or 78 van Mike's talking about. It has 4 brackets on it 2 from the original and more from the sway bar I got from another guy here. Let me know if you need it.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 02:24 AM   #4
chuck eupharley

Well, I'm not the smartest guy on the planet for sure, but I have yet to see a problem I can't solve on that darn van. Question: can I Bolt the mounting brakets to the frame? or do I need to Weld it?
Old 11-23-2002, 02:40 AM   #5
chuck eupharley

Thumbs up

Alright!! That photo really put it in prospective for me. I am positive i can pull that off. And I will go to a dealership for the parts I think I don't think I want to rip rivits off a junk car. I would pick up the one you have there Brandon but man, I'm a long way from the old Dallas homestead. I'm livin' in Vancouver right now. But boy I tell you what, I sure am glad to know some good ol' boys to help me out with some questions. Thank fellas Chuck
Old 11-23-2002, 02:41 AM   #6
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Chuck- You have to mout using the frame bracket. It won't fit or work otherwise. The bolt holes are already there for everything. Just place to fit and bolt up.

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
Old 11-23-2002, 02:30 PM   #7
chuck eupharley

Thank you very much sir. Now I can get everything I need From the dealer right? Brackrts 'n all.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:26 AM   #8
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

yes you just need to know the size diameter of the bar. The numbers in the post earlier are for a 1 1/16 diameter bar.

Old 11-26-2002, 12:28 PM   #9
chuck eupharley

Lightbulb bar size

Brandon, how do I know what size bar to put in? What is involved in makeing that decision? Is it just preference? Chuck.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:06 PM   #10
pkbinplano
pkbinplano

You will love a sway bar. Put mine on this weekend and already had a emergency lane change. Lady just got on the freeway and crossed two lanes into mine. Truck handled great.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:37 AM   #11
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

Re: bar size

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck eupharley
Brandon, how do I know what size bar to put in? What is involved in makeing that decision? Is it just preference?
Chuck I just got a 1 1/16 bar from a guy which is why I got that size. If I bought the bar aftermarket I would have gotten the 1 1/4 bar. It's thicker for more control since of the heavier weight.