The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2007, 02:52 AM   #1
71C-10DAD

Thumbs down really upset with my truck.

Let me first start off by saying i really LOVE this truck. But after today I dont know how much more i can take. Today alone I had a flat, got a hole in my radiator and developed a gas leak where the fuel line goes into the carb. Plus it is still spitting and spuddering because it needs timed and i have no money or the know how to do it. I am at the piont if something doesnt go right soon i may have to see about trading it for a smaller truck with less troubles.

END OF RANT

Last edited by 71C-10DAD; 04-08-2007 at 02:53 AM.
71C-10DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:03 AM   #2
GREASEMONKEY72

Re: really upset with my truck.

well let me tell you that if you do trade it im sure youll regret it because once you fix a few problems then you start to have less and less untill theyre gone and you love your truck everday like i do and have the pleasure of telling everybody what you did to it and overcame to get it to that point

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:18 AM   #3
71C-10DAD

yeah, I dont think I will ever get rid of it. Just really frustrating to have two autos in the yard and neither one runs. Was using the truck to go get parts to fix my wifes car when all this went wrong got home and put the parts on and it still wont run.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:24 AM   #4
GREASEMONKEY72

yea i know what you mean, if its not one things its another, just gotta work through it and try your best to keep your head straight at the same time, and i never plan on getting rid of mine, ill be just like the guys in those new valvoline high miliage commercals

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
Old 04-08-2007, 03:30 AM   #5
RACINJASON22
GEARHEAD

Could have happened if you were driving anew truck IMO I have the family bus (look at sig 2005) and I have had two flats in two months. Just bad luk IMO. eep your head up. Things will turn around, RJ22

SUBSCRIBE HEREBOARD VENDORS HERE

NORWOOD MEET SURVIVOR!
RACINJASON22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:33 AM   #6
GREASEMONKEY72

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINJASON22 View Post
Could have happened if you were driving anew truck IMO I have the family bus (look at sig 2005) and I have had two flats in two months. Just bad luk IMO. eep your head up. Things will turn around, RJ22
yea i hate when people say that youre having problems only becuase its an old car when i know people that have more problems with there brand new vehicle than i do with my 35 year old truck

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
Old 04-08-2007, 03:52 AM   #7
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

trust me this is what thay call faith nIf you Beleave in Jesus he will never leave you high a dry but your truck is like your wife it needs attion as well I talk to mine when it sounds like its starting to have problems and i tell it if you get me throw this load i will feed you some 91 octang fuel or i will take you in and get your serviced and so far we have had a bad days i even kicked her like a Jack ass and later i come back and say i'm sorry

she talks to me when i pulling a load and all she ask me to do is respect her and she will keep me safe if i keep her safe so that is are arangment and i don't do hafe ass job with her if i have to spend 400.00 and get her fixed i don't just run her into the ground becouse i don't have the money or the time

Try that with your next friend you make see how fast he leaves you High and Dry

people say a dog is your best friend well your truck is the one that makes you the money takes you to the doctor when your sick and takes out out when you need a brake Talk to your truck

Just got done whachng DAYS OF THUNDER where robert DU Vall was talking to the car and said you have to protect Coal he's not the same driver as he was before when you get out of wach he just can't pull you back you just have to protect him

and he looks at the ground and say this is not the type of answer i'm looking for But the car was talking to him telling him take this eng out its not safe!!

so remmber every thing has a soul all you have to do is find the way to talk to it and it will show you things that you never dream possible thats the BOW TIE WAY have a good one and ya I'm crazy

but i'm driving a truck for the last 15 years and never left me high and dry but one time the battiery went bad never can tell when that happens have a good one and just pray God will provide
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:07 AM   #8
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Smile Re: really upset with my truck.

Well I'm going to let you in on some thing .... I was just about to send you my post and bam it vanished. I'm writing this all over again so I'm starting to feel your pain.

Don't sell, learn how to fix your truck. The first thing I would do is go to your local library (take a couple quarters for photo copies) and read and make copies on how to time your engine and get the tune up specs.

Basic hand tools is all you will need for the repairs that you describe and it sounds like you have these.

Check your auto wrecker for rad prices and if you buy used get it flushed and pressure tested at a rad shop. Get a quote only to repair the rad and do the math. (use anti freeze not sraight water.)

Sounds to me that you have about a $150.00 dollar problem and allot of frustration. Step back and take a deep breath as this will help with the frustration, perhaps tackle it some more tomorrow when your fresh.

PM me and let me know how you make out.

esll.

This truck has just the right amount of energy for me!

Author: Warren Lake .... (member)
EAST SIDE LOW LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:28 AM   #9
albertarose

hang in there man ! lose the points and go to HEI if you havnt already.. these are cheap to get the whole distributor at the wrecker or new ..you can power tune without a light and get fairly close.. I agree wth the others dont give up on your truck ! its the simplicity of them that makes these trucks priceless !!
mine kept me from driving it home with all the things that just started failing after I bought it .I even had to get a job and camp out to pay for the parts I never let that truck go and I OWN IT!!
albertarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:09 AM   #10
fourty1

I don't think a " smaller truck with less troubles " exists,,... or ANY TRUCK w/less troubles exists ,...we'd all drive one.
I'm up with what the others have posted.
..I keep tellin' myself, 'our' trucks/ or cars are better than most SUV/modern cars out there.. Everyone else fixes theirs when the HAVE to,.....
..... we do it to keep em' top notch....
hang in there,...
-41-

1967 Chevy 3/4 ton standard bed, 350 cu./400 auto,
w/ 83 - 3:43 rear end...sips gas....
fourty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #11
colpac

To post a for sale ad, you must be a subscribing member. Subscribe to the board and post your ad in the classified section, and I am sure you will have no problem selling it!

Last edited by centsless; 04-08-2007 at 10:40 AM. Reason: for sale ad
colpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #12
retodd7711
chrome makes it go FASTER!

I feel your pain brother. Luckily we have this sight to go to for help. I might have a solution to your timing problem. Ask everyone you meet if they have a timing light I needed one and asked about 30 people and you know who had one? My next door neighbor! go figure 15 minutes later I was done and it only cost me a Coca cola.
and she brings me beer.
She can stay for now.
EDIT:: But she left me anyway,
So forget her.

1962 GMC Stepside V6 4 speed
My rolling resto thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=324226
My old farm truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post3465005
retodd7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #13
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

I got rid of my Volvo....cause I was putting 5K a year into getting stuff fixed on it. I would mucyh rather put 10K into my truck...I get so much better return ...physically and emotionally.

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #14
Rokcrln

Yes just fix things up as you can and everything you do to it will make it seam so much better. I can't even count how many cars I got rid of in the past because of $200 problems, I just got frustrated and gave up only to find more problems with newer cars as well.

Go thru my thread "LFD's low buck truck build" and I show how to repair the radiator your self for about $15. it is easy and it was my first time. I also go into the HEI dist. abit and give the best price I found for a new one and this will help keep things running better with less maintance down the road.
As far as your pain of having two vehicals in your yard that don't run I feel ya. But trust me once you get a few more like me the Pain goes away

I try and show all the Low Buck way s to build these trucks in this build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223158 Hope you find a few things to help.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:21 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

*flat tire:that happens to $50,000 cars.
*timing:free fix.loosen up the hold down clamp,move the distributor till it runs the way you like it.If it runs good,but pings(rattle can sound) turn itclockwise a little,try it until it doesn`t ping...you`re good as gold.
*carb leak:take that bigger nut off where the line goes in the carb if it`s the original carb(Quadrajet).There`s a little filter in there,put a new one in.Use teflon thread tape and put it all together carefully making sure there`s no tension on the fuel ilne to cock it,keep it in-line as you tighten.
*radiator leak:just keep an eye on the level,a good eye.Like everyday.When you get the money have it fixed,repaced core,used replacement or buy new.If you fork over for new,you`re done with that problem as long as you own the truck,most likely.Take it to a radiator guy and see what he says.DON`T USE STOP LEAK!!!That stuff goes everywhere your coolant does and you don`t want that gunk all through your motor.

The beauty of these truck is you "CAN" fix them and you don`t need more than a basic understanding of spark,fuel supply,and charging system.Even if you don`t work on it,they`re a relief to a mechanic and whatever`s wrong,they "CAN" figure it out.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #16
shifty
Questionable

Wish you lived nearby. I have a slightly used radiator sitting in my garage gathering dust, and nothing to do with it.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote