The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #26
sevt_chevelle
Lost amongst the CORN

Re: Has anyone here re-skinned a door?

In case you havent done this yet but close and open the door several times, checking how the door opens/closes. You are looking for binds, misalignment, get that door to shut close with just a gentle push.
Then dry fit the skin onto that frame while its on the truck. Check how the skin fits the shell and the rest of the truck.
Do not apply any glue til you are happy with fit!!!

NOW is the time to make adjustments not when its glued in place and the hem folded over. As you can tell that frame is very movable without that skin on. You can make it do ANYTHING you want. Once the skin fits good to the rest of the truck mark its location on the frame in atleast two spots.
Doing this will guarantee that skin goes directly back into the proper fitment.

Is there a spot on the top of the skin that welds to frame where the window fuzzies go? If so that would be a great spot to use two sheet metal screws to use as locators. Once the skin is done, just weld up the holes.
If that top portion of the skin is NOT like that then you cant use locator holes.

What you will to do since you dont have locator screws is just hem the fold over around 70% then re-install the door. With the hem half way folded you can easily move the skin around on the frame. Close the door, get the skin fitting the truck. Then carefully open the door and fold over the hem in a few different spots. Doing this will "tack" the skin in place. Close the door, check the fit again, if it fits remove the door and finish the folding over the hem.

The link I gave you with the car door skin is pretty darn close as a step by step that you will do on your truck. I had no locator screws on that and re-installed the door to get my final fit of the skin then "tacked" the skin in place by folding over the hem in a few spots.

Dont be afraid to ask questions...Eric

70 Chevelle gettin Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
70 Chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
49 and 72 Chevy Trucks restored to original...close to it
Drommer Stor....Norwegian for Dream Big

http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...lle/?start=all

https://www.flickr.com/photos/47922830@N03/
Pictures of my work and projects
sevt_chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #27
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Re: Has anyone here re-skinned a door?

Thanks for all the tips Eric! I need to pull the fender off (need to do this anyhow), as I need to lower both hinges about an 1/8". This door came off this truck, and it's obvious now that he Goodmarks door isn't very close at all to the original fit. I did do a little tweaking last night, not much needed. But once I get the door raised a little, then I will set the skin on and start adjusting and marking it like you said.

Quote:
Is there a spot on the top of the skin that welds to frame where the window fuzzies go?
There is a piece of metal on the inner skin that spot welds to an identical piece on the outer skin right on the back side of the wing window. I was going to drill those two spot welds out and use Clecos there when I fit it up again.

Thanks again!

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 04-13-2007 at 01:02 PM.
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote