The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: rollbar question

I forgot about S&W. They do pretty good work. From what I've read, the S&W stuff is a little more custom work to do as the Tubes come long for you to trim to fit when installing. Whereas the Smittybuilt stuff is ready to go most of the time.

Large tube vs smaller tube? Depending on how thick of wall tube you use the small tube can be just as strong as the larger stuff. I'd personally go with something in the middle for tube size to still get strength and still have room to manuver inside the K5. My Boy still needs to get in back so I can't go with an entire jungle gym of tubes. I'm building mine off of the stock hoop in my 75 and a stock rear hoop I found in a 77 at the boneyard. I'll connect the two and then buy the front bars from Smittybuilt or S&W. Just a simple 6 point with the floor reinforced at the attachment points.

I've done a lot of research on the cage to body or to the frame argument. Keeping in mind, attaching the cage to the frame is the ultimate. However, If the cage is tied into the body only the floor must get additional plating to keep the tube from ripping through in event of a roll over. Taking a page from the NHRA for roll cages in unibody cars (where they have NO frame to tie into), they require 6"x6" support plates to be welded to the floor at each cage attachment point.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote