The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
68gmcjon
Got earplugs?

***Feeler*** 68 GMC Custon

First off this is just a feeler ad to see how the market is, I've been thinking about selling my truck for awhile and I finally may have to.

This is a 1968 GMC C-10 Custom.
Redone interior, sold the bucket seats so currently no seats.
A/C cab with all a/c-heating parts, not in right now, and have never tried the a/c but I have the parts if you would like to try it.
P/S, power brakes, master cylinder from s-10 to clear the tall valve covers.

Body is in decent shape for as old as it is, original orange paint. Does have minor dents and area behind driver back tire is bent in and up.
Yes, does have a hood, just removed to install engine

NO wood bed.

Complete PAINLESS wiring kit already installed

here comes all the good parts,

402 BB
Eagle rods
Keith Black pistons
Stock heads, 113 cc combustion chambers
Crane gold roller rockers
Comp Cams chrome molly one-piece pushrods
crane valve springs matched for cam
new lunati voodoo cam
victor jr. intake
speed demon 750cfm mech. secondaries
msd distributor
msd 6-al box
moroso plug wires
Cloyes Double roller timing chain
Cloyes two-piece timing cover
steel braided fuel line
Dynomax Ceramic coated headers
3.00" exhuast
Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers
holley electric fuel pump
csi electric water pump
camaro dual electric fans
All together around 600hp~600 ft. lb
I'm sure I've forgotten something but the engine is built for racing, doesn't do bad on the street if you can afford the gas.

Bad news, last time I was at the track the tranny went out

Turbo-400
easily rebuildable, still has 1st gear and reverse

Dana-60 rearend, bullet proof with a detroit LOCKER and 3.54 gears.

Custom built ladder bars

Lowered, Drop spindles front, axle flip back
Competition Engineering Rearend floater.

Way too much stuff to list, I have all the receipts and have around 12000 invested.
Countless hours of work.

What would be a good price to ask???
I know the tranny being out is going to hurt it
Attached Images

396 bored to 402, Dynomax cerama-coat headers, Super 40 Flowmasters, 272/284 Crane cam, Crane gold roller rockers, holley 750 cfm double pumper, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, HEI ignition, 9.5:compression
Alltogether 411HP and 446ft/lbs

Dana 60 w/ 3.54 gears
Turbo 400 tranny

Why would you have anything other than a big block? HAHA

Last edited by 68gmcjon; 04-14-2007 at 05:01 PM.
68gmcjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
TRUCKER-TRUCKIN'
Rally Wheel Club

Re: ***Feeler*** 68 GMC Custon

I would'nt take less than 5k for it but for what it'll cost to have that th400 stock rebuild you'll make it back three times over if someone can drive it. nice truck though!
TRUCKER-TRUCKIN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:57 PM   #3
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Arrow Re: ***Feeler*** 68 GMC Custon

thats a good looking truck and I see you have a lot of money in that motor , I would say the motor is worth more than the truck I would sell the motor seperate from the truck (LEAVE IT IN THE TRUCK TILL ITS SOLD ) and then stick any old motor back in the truck to sell it , this would bring you the most money for your truck , the reason is that it's a long bed , if it was a short bed it would be different ,, my $.02
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
FREEMAN70

Thumbs up Re: ***Feeler*** 68 GMC Custon

man i realy like that truck.
FREEMAN70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
68gmcjon
Got earplugs?

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I'm thinking of asking $8000 for the truck as is. Too high???
396 bored to 402, Dynomax cerama-coat headers, Super 40 Flowmasters, 272/284 Crane cam, Crane gold roller rockers, holley 750 cfm double pumper, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, HEI ignition, 9.5:compression

Dana 60 w/ 3.54 gears
Turbo 400 tranny

Old 04-15-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
2nd_wnd

wanna trade a running 72 for it? j/k

wish i could buy it, pretty sharp truck
Old 04-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
JTK20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19673ontree View Post
thats a good looking truck and I see you have a lot of money in that motor , I would say the motor is worth more than the truck I would sell the motor seperate from the truck (LEAVE IT IN THE TRUCK TILL ITS SOLD ) and then stick any old motor back in the truck to sell it , this would bring you the most money for your truck , the reason is that it's a long bed , if it was a short bed it would be different ,, my $.02
I'm just curious, what's the big craze about short beds? Is there something in particular about them that makes everybody like them and not like long beds? I personally don't like short beds much (don't like the way they look), but the majority of people seem to love them. I'm just curious why. Not trying to bash anybody's short bed, I'm just wondering why the majority seems to like them so much and not long beds.

Last edited by JTK20; 04-15-2007 at 10:37 PM.
JTK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
WinDancer
The Original HotRod KnifeMaker

I think you will have problems selling the truck as is [not drivable]. Unless you know someone who was real familiar with the truck when it was running and wants to buy it, it will be hard to get a stranger to understand what is there.

I agree that the only three real options are:
1. Take a huge beating on the price you get
2. Fix the tranny so potential buyers can drive the truck
3. Sell the motor first so buyers can hear it run, then dump in a decent motor and sell the truck

There are quite a few trucks for sale- would YOU buy one you couldn't drive first for anywhere near top dollar?

I would not.

When I sold the motor and tranny [350/350]from my truck I took a lot less than market value because of time constraints. I knew that I would get near nothing if buyers could not hear/drive it first. I had the receipts from rebuild on both [less than 10,000 miles on both] but could only get $500 for the pair.

Bottom line is you will be forced by the market to take much less or do some work.

Many folks here on the board part their trucks out because they can't get even near their investment back and the parts bring more that the whole truck.

Good luck- hope you can get most of your money back. I hate it when things like this happen- I know how I felt when I practically gave my motor and tranny away.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Don`t forget you sold those buckets.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
68gmcjon
Got earplugs?

I think I'm going to end up selling the engine, transmission and rear end. Then drop a 350/350 combo in it so I can just cruise around town.

And I know if I rebuilt the tranny I would get more but to build the tranny up to stand up to the current motor would be fairly expensive, I can't exactly put stock parts back into it. It has a 3200 stall b&m torque converter in it so that should catch some money back.

Thanks for all of your guys' comments.....Anyone know anyone that wants a highly modified big block???

Dana 60 w/ 3.54 gears
Turbo 400 tranny

Old 04-15-2007, 11:22 PM   #11
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK20 View Post
I'm just curious, what's the big craze about short beds? Is there something in particular about them that makes everybody like them and not like long beds?
Old truck 101:

30 plus years ago trucks were bought for working. Most trusks were bought with 8 foot beds and had very few options. I used to hear as a kid, "what good is a 6 foot bed when you want to put a 6'X8' sheet of plywood in the bed?"

Well, short bed trucks have lower production numbers making them harder to come by today, thus making the prices rise, (simple supply vs. demand)

The south has more short bed trucks, but they are almost always two wheel drive. The north has more 4X4's but are almost always long beds. A short bed 4X4 is the holey grail for these old trucks.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:45 PM   #12
1BadSS
NOT REALLY BANNED!

Sounds like your vacuum modulator went bad. Thats why it wont shift from first, but has all of the other gears.
68 C20 LWB stripper truck
73 K5 Cheyenne
76 C20 Sierra Crew SRW
88 K20 Suburban

I'm not hammering on metal just to hammer, i'm creating a piece of art.
1BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:41 AM   #13
JTK20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
Old truck 101:

30 plus years ago trucks were bought for working. Most trusks were bought with 8 foot beds and had very few options. I used to hear as a kid, "what good is a 6 foot bed when you want to put a 6'X8' sheet of plywood in the bed?"

Well, short bed trucks have lower production numbers making them harder to come by today, thus making the prices rise, (simple supply vs. demand)

The south has more short bed trucks, but they are almost always two wheel drive. The north has more 4X4's but are almost always long beds. A short bed 4X4 is the holey grail for these old trucks.
I see. It just seemed to go beyond rarity and more towards people actually thinking they look better. I'd take an 8 foot bed over a 6 foot any day of the week, ESPECIALLY when it comes to 4x4's. Just personal preference and taste I guess.

By the way 68gmcjon, I think your truck looks great!

Last edited by JTK20; 04-16-2007 at 04:44 AM.
JTK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:51 PM   #14
WinDancer
The Original HotRod KnifeMaker

I think you will be happier parting the good stuff and then rebuilding a 'regular' truck to drive or sell. I hate when you get a bunch of money in something, plus all the hours, and then can't even get most of the money back.

Trucks isn't the only time in life this happens.

I am friends with quite a few other knifemakers. At the big show in Eugene, Oregon a few years ago several of us went to dinner. One of the guys asked the old timer in the group what he would do if he won the lottery. The fellow didn't even hesitate- just looked him square in the eye and "Probably just keep making knives till it was all gone".
We had a good laugh, mostly at how much thought had gone into his answer WAY before he was asked this question.

Good luck, hope you can make some money and get another truck together.